• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 1300gt, questions

pfoushee

Tues, i got my 2010' low milage(7k), k1300gt and feel like I have been found what i have been looking for during the last few years.

Very happy! Best of many worlds.

Noticed a high pitched whistle, starting about 4000 rpm.

At around 7k rpm, I backed off because of vibration, mostly through the seat I think. This seems wrong considering the redline shows 10 k on the tack. Is all this normal with this motor.

Thanks for any responses.

Do any of you run regularly above 5 or 6k rpm?

My K1300GT Experience

Sounds like you have something going on there. I have a 2010 K1300GT with 23,000 miles and have never experienced the high pitched whistle or vibration like you are describing, even when running steady at 5K to 6K RPM or higher. Do you have the vibration at higher RPM in every gear, so it is clearly engine speed related? Or are you experiencing this only at those RPM when you are in 6th gear, so it is more bike speed related? If it is the latter it may be something like worn tires, a wheel out of balance, maybe a drive shaft issue. My experience has been this bike will cruise smoothly as fast as your nerve will let you; it's deceptively fast because it is so smooth. Much different from the R1150R I had previously, on which I could gauge engine speed by how much vibration was coming through the seat.

Whistling up front

I also have a 2010 K1300GT and notice a very distinct whistle that starts around 3500 rpm and continues to about 4500 rpm. At first I thought it might be the straight cut gears I have read about, but after riding with a shortie helmet and no ear plugs, the sound is definitely coming from the front of the bike. I get no vibration at any speed and everything else about the bike seems fine - except for the oil warning light <i> which comes on intermittently. I have checked the oil level repeatedly according to the instructions and it is right between min and max.
Any ideas about what would cause front end whistling?????

Uh, a flashing oil light is not something to be ignored, even if it's an intermittent problem. Although the level may be correct, you may have a problem with the pump, or something is blocking an oil gallery. Or it may be a poor connection with the oil pressure sensing. But, if you like your engine, have it checked out soonest.

Remove the 6 torx screws that retain the windshield. Lift off the cross brace, clean it thoroughly with soap and water followed by a light cleaning with alcohol right around the two hold in the center of the crossbrace. Then cover the two holes with electrical tape or whatever, re-install the crossbrace and shield, and go for a ride. I'll bet your whistle is gone.

I have NO idea what the two holes are supposed to be for, other than to make noise and collect bug bodies.

Best,

GTRider

Forget that stuff and fix the oil problem! :banghead

+1 on that, the oil light should be first priority. There were some K12GTs that had issues with the <!> light after a firmware flash but I didn't think the 13s were affected. If it were my bike I'd hustle it down to the dealer and have the firmware checked to make sure it's current and correctly loaded, and probably have an oil pressure test run on the bike. Also have the wiring checked to make sure there isn't a loose connection to a sending unit. Have you changed oil and filter lately and if so, are you using the correct BMW filter?

You shouldn't ever see an oil light come on except at startup, and then only for an instant. If you're seeing it when you're riding down the road you need to find out, with certainty, what is causing the problem.

IMHO, of course...

Good luck,

GTRider

I also have a 2010 K1300GT and notice a very distinct whistle that starts around 3500 rpm and continues to about 4500 rpm. At first I thought it might be the straight cut gears I have read about, but after riding with a shortie helmet and no ear plugs, the sound is definitely coming from the front of the bike. I get no vibration at any speed and everything else about the bike seems fine - except for the oil warning light <i> which comes on intermittently. I have checked the oil level repeatedly according to the instructions and it is right between min and max.
Any ideas about what would cause front end whistling?????

Finally. Thought I was hearing things. It is somewhat wind like, but since it seems to be noticeable around 4k, one has to start thinking machine noises. It does seem to right in front of you. I do know that as become more deaf, the problem seems to be correcting itself.

Back