• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RT Newbie question

solarbean

Well, I'm not actually a newbie, but I am doing my first oil change on my R100RT after 5 years. To make a long story short, I sold the bike 5 years ago, and now I bought it back, so I am doing my first oil change.

My R100RT dates to the early '90s. The R100RT has some kind of oil send/return unit instead of a simple oil filter cover plate, like on earlier models. When I removed the cover, I found a white silicon rubber o-ring between the sender unit and the engine case, but no paper gasket. Anyone know if there is supposed to be a paper gasket there?

When you buy the oil filter, but the entire oil filter kit. It should come with all the parts.

Hey Dave. :brow

Thanks for the reply.

Small world. Not sure if you remember me... my name is Kurt. I used to be in the Yankee Beemers. My wife and I were on that wet ride to the RA rally in Quebec about a half dozen years ago. That was the one where the tents were floating away, so everyone wound up sleeping in the livestock barns.

I had breakfast at a diner in Ayer a few months ago and met a guy with a coupla kids... turned out he is your brother.
:p

'Bout the filter... forgot about the kit... it's been a while. I just bought a filter and the crush ring for the plug. At least I remembered to get the split filter!

Well, the local shop gave me the wrong filter. Now I remember why I stopped doing business with that place back in the early nineties. I used to have excellent luck with Skippy Freeman up in Beverly Mass, but he closed his shop:(.

I just went ahead and plopped in the white silicon-rubber type o-ring and the black one that came with the filter. If oil pours out, I'll invest in a roll of bounty to clean up the mess then buy the kit.

Thanks for the feedback!

In regards to your RT oil filter. First and foremost, check the AirHead List and InternetBMWRiders sites.
Find everything possibile written by Oak, it's for sale, look inside the cover of the MOA mag for address.
Depending on the year, you may/may not need a shim, need to measure the protrusion where the o-ring sits. Some of the older models needed the shim to protect the o-ring from sharp maching surfaces. In some cases, using the paper gasket could reduce the clamp force applied to the o-ring, causing a loss of oil pressure.
There is no simple answer. It all depends on your particular bike.
Everything I have said, is what I have found on the Internet, hopefully I have stated it right.

Allan

Back