• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ballpark value of a 72 R60/5?

W

wvrocks

I just found a guy in my area selling a 1972 R60/5. I called and talked to him for a bit today but haven't seen the bike in pictures or person. It's Monza blue, toaster tank, currently has a solo seat but he has the factory seat. The bike hasn't run in about 8 years. After his riding buddy died he rode it into his shed and parked it. I would assume it had/has fuel in it. Didn't sound like he did any storage prep work. Tires and battery are obviously shot. Probably a lot of dry rotted rubber parts. He admitted it wasn't perfect cosmetically even when it was running. Clear title. He's asking $800. What say ye?

Well, you can, because a 60/5 isn't much of a bike. If all you want is a cute little put-put, this is your bike.

I've got my GS so I'm just kicking around getting an older airhead to mess with.

I would agree that for $800 you cant go wrong

and if you think that this isn't much of a bike, you have to read the article (sorry i don't have it right now), about Fred Tausch who rode one over 600k miles. The bike now sits in Bob's BMW museum in MD. Fred rode that bike all over the place, and at pretty much one speed....

'72 r60/5

I bought my first BMW in May of 1972. What a great bike. It was smooth and reliable and it was beautiful to look at. My R60 was a toaster. I drove it about 20,000 miles in two years. I was in college at Syracuse and I would ride it to school year around exept when heavy snow or iced roads. No fairing but real leather Denfield bags. I would stop at a bakery and buy a hot loaf of italian bread to warm my hands on the way home. Glory days.
I think I paid about $1500 for it when new.
I hope you can bring it back to its former glory.
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

It sounds like a good project bike. But, I would not buy it sight unseen. I ran into an airhead a couple months ago that had a similar past of neglect. When I looked at the bike, it was completely rusted. There were virtually no usable parts on the bike.

If the bike looks good, it is probably a good deal.

When I saw the title of the post,I thought ,$2k in decent shape.
$800 is a steal.
Good luck.

Mine was a 8 yr storage as well.....

Bike had to be completely stripped and rebuilt, fun winter project but expensive.... 800 can turn into 000's quite quickly if you are in a hurry to finish. Using patience and this forum you will save lots..

Good find I am looking for a r75/5 as my next project

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to try to go take a look at it early next week. Funny, it was listed as a 1992 R60/5. That kind of caught my eye so I had to give the guy a call and see what was up. Typo on the want ad's part but I'm hoping it will be enough to keep someone else from noticing it over the weekend.

Back