• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Sedalia 1000

I agree, somewhere between Harrisburg and Allentown would make more sense. Harrisburg shows 967 miles. Hamburg PA is right off 78 and easy to get to from all the surrounding highways, more importantly there is a Cabelas there!

Problem's with both Harrisburg & Hamburg.... TOLL'S for both on PA TPK!
No/not enough lodging at Hamburg, Harrisburg short on distance.
IMHO... Travel'in John

Bloomsburg certainly has hotels. As for Hamburg only 76 and 476 are toll roads (PA Turnpike) in that area, regardless both accept EZ-Pass. Hamburg is on 78 (Not a toll road), which 81 South from Scranton runs into. While not right at the start point, plenty of rooms in Allentown area.

There will be plenty of issues taken with any location picked, different strokes for different folks. Scranton is not only an hour extra, it's the heart of Lackawanna coal country (Not particularly scenic) and it's a city. If I were riding all the way from Nova Scotia, I'd like to squeeze in a nice visit to a summer destination, thus my suggestion for Canandaigua NY. Ah, but then you are dealing with the NYS Thruway which is a toll road.

So where in the Northeast is a nice summer destination if you are riding a considerable difference to stop, rest and recharge one's batteries? Toll roads will be difficult to avoid given the state of this countries aging infrastructure (ie. the NYS Thruway was supposed to be toll-free years ago!)

Good morning Mile-Eaters!

Thanks for all your comments on the start locations.

For the record the IBA distance from Bloomsburg, PA to Sedalia, MO is 974 miles. This is because for any ride the shortest distance calculated is the one used, even it it makes no sense.

As the goal of this location is for folks coming out of New England, Northeast US and Eastern Canada the next logical location with a lot of services is Scranton or perhaps Wilkes Barre. If we move the start to Wilkes Barre the total distance (Shortest) is 1034 but quickest is up to 1057.

For the start locations we're looking for multiple 24hr gas stations; ideally a truck stop and a few budget hotels up to a Hampton Inn. The idea is riders stop here for a good rest not necessarily to sight see. The closer it is to a direct route from the major eastern cities the better.

HTH.

Best,

Rob Nye

Good morning Mile-Eaters!

Thanks for all your comments on the start locations.

For the record the IBA distance from Bloomsburg, PA to Sedalia, MO is 974 miles. This is because for any ride the shortest distance calculated is the one used, even it it makes no sense.

As the goal of this location is for folks coming out of New England, Northeast US and Eastern Canada the next logical location with a lot of services is Scranton or perhaps Wilkes Barre. If we move the start to Wilkes Barre the total distance (Shortest) is 1034 but quickest is up to 1057.

For the start locations we're looking for multiple 24hr gas stations; ideally a truck stop and a few budget hotels up to a Hampton Inn. The idea is riders stop here for a good rest not necessarily to sight see. The closer it is to a direct route from the major eastern cities the better.

HTH.

Best,

Rob Nye

MS Streets and Trips: Scranton to Sedalia is 1071 quick and 1063 short. I wonder what mapping authority is being used to determine distance. Google Maps also concurs with both of the MS calculations. Google also indicates 1,012 and 1,009 for the quick/short calculation out of Bloomsburg. Likely there are other factors that I am not aware of which come into the final calculations. However, if IBA says "it ain't so" then it really is a moot discussion so moving forward, or not, are the only options. We'll be there :thumb - Bob

Awaiting start location details

I'm just looking forward to final details so I can make my travel plans... trying to take as little time off from work as possible and make the best use of the time I take. I am guessing I will ride down to Scranton after work on Tuesday evening and head out from the designated start around 5 AM Wednesday. -Dennis

Hotel Recommendations?

Sounds like it's Scranton for the east coast start. A quick search on MapSource has an EconoLodge and a couple of gas stations close to exit 182 on Hwy 81 for a start receipt. Anybody with local knowledge recommend a better starting point?

Mark

I'm just looking forward to final details so I can make my travel plans... trying to take as little time off from work as possible and make the best use of the time I take. I am guessing I will ride down to Scranton after work on Tuesday evening and head out from the designated start around 5 AM Wednesday. -Dennis

That's a great plan.

Sounds like it's Scranton for the east coast start. A quick search on MapSource has an EconoLodge and a couple of gas stations close to exit 182 on Hwy 81 for a start receipt. Anybody with local knowledge recommend a better starting point?

Mark

I don't know the area but it looks like that EconoLodge at 182B (on Kane St) is a fine location with decent rates. Rooms are available for booking. Convenience store and gas just around the corner. Our plan is to get there as early as possible with a 5 am departure. Might be Monday because we want to get to the rally site and be available to volunteer a bit (already booked twice for the beer slinging again). - Bob

Exit 165 off 81 there is a Comfort Inn and Econo Lodge with a Perkins right next door and a Dunkin Donuts around the corner. There's a Hess station right there as well. not sure if someone local may chime in that can grab a receipt.

The fuel would have to be at a 24hr location as well so someone local would be a great help in determining this. With a modest motel just next door would be perfect. - Bob

Exit 165 off 81 there is a Comfort Inn and Econo Lodge with a Perkins right next door and a Dunkin Donuts around the corner. There's a Hess station right there as well. not sure if someone local may chime in that can grab a receipt.

Not a lot of 24hr gas near the hotel but a station just down the street is open from 06:00 to 23:00.

A few miles to the NE there is a Sheetz and a hotel nearby. It sounds perfect as it's a non chain hotel and the reviews say it's a dump so it must be cheap. ;)

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?near=1233+Highway+315+Blvd,+Wilkes-Barre,+PA+18702+(Sheetz)&geocode=CbLOaN8nlVBxFTqgdQIdJyJ7-yFlSUYcnra4Tw&q=hotel&f=l&dq=gas,+atm+loc:+1067+Wilkes+Barre+Twp+Blvd,+Wilkes-Barre,+AL+18702&ie=UTF8&hq=hotel&hnear=&t=h&fll=41.25571,-75.826135&fspn=0.025971,0.066047&st=115968771510351694523&rq=1&ev=zo&split=1&ll=41.258035,-75.822151&spn=0.025971,0.066047&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?near=1233+Highway+315+Blvd,+Wilkes-Barre,+PA+18702+(Sheetz)&geocode=CbLOaN8nlVBxFTqgdQIdJyJ7-yFlSUYcnra4Tw&q=hotel&f=l&dq=gas,+atm+loc:+1067+Wilkes+Barre+Twp+Blvd,+Wilkes-Barre,+AL+18702&ie=UTF8&hq=hotel&hnear=&t=h&fll=41.25571,-75.826135&fspn=0.025971,0.066047&st=115968771510351694523&rq=1&ev=zo&split=1&ll=41.258035,-75.822151&spn=0.025971,0.066047&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

If I'm not mistaken isn't that Wilkes-Barre? We'd have to backtrack to get the starting receipt from Scranton or is the start location still open for some discussion.

Mark

If I'm not mistaken isn't that Wilkes-Barre? We'd have to backtrack to get the starting receipt from Scranton or is the start location still open for some discussion.

Mark

It can be either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre but not both.

I'm looking for a consensus over the next day or two. I want to get the registration process started ASAP and I need the starting locations fixed first.

I'm leaning towards Wilkes-Barre; it's a little closer yet far enough and there seems to be the required services.

Mark you are correct. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton are really one metro area. Having passed through the area far more times than I care to remember I was suggesting an exit that would put starters furthest from traffic snarl-ups and closest to there direction of travel, yet still have lodging/food and fuel.

Mark you are correct. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton are really one metro area. Having passed through the area far more times than I care to remember I was suggesting an exit that would put starters furthest from traffic snarl-ups and closest to there direction of travel, yet still have lodging/food and fuel.

Then my vote is for a Wilkes-Barre start if that avoids traffic right off the start. Local knowledge is always a plus. BTW Dennis I sent you a PM.

Mark

Sorry it's not a Hess, it is a Citgo, across the street is a Gulf Oil (not sure of their hours). Turkey Hill 1/2 mile away is open 24x7 (616 Hazle Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702) They sell unbranded gas, not sure I'm keen on that unless they have high test. Then there is the Sheetz. :type

Greetings and Happy Friday,

Wilkes-Barre will be the start location for the NE group.

The final details and registration page should be ready early next week.

Also for those in the Northeast if you haven't heard I also put on the Minuteman 1000 which has a group Saddlesore component. This is a much more involved event than the Sedalia 1000, plus you don't end up at a great rally but you do get two fantastic meals, a full Iron Butt rally experience and a nice gift from our sponsor, MAX BMW Motorcycles.

Ride is weekend of June 7, Registration closes next Tuesday May, 22.

Back