• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NY, Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine

robertsutton

We will be travelling from Buffalo through Ny state, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine heading for New Foundland. We are looking for some suggestions on Scenic Byways and some motorcycle friendly campgrounds. We will be travelling in July, avoiding 4 lane hwys and don't mind spending some time at a museum or hiking trail as well. Open to suggestions. Bob. R100R, K1100RS, R1150GSA

The Smuggler's Notch road is fun , but it can be horribly clogged with tourists in the summer. . .I think there are better 'gap' rides on this route if you like that kind of thing.

Here's an alternative, maybe nontraditional routing for parts of the crossing you have asked about. . I guess it depends on the time you have available (this route meanders a bit) and your preference for speed versus backroads.
FWIW:

Stay south of I90 from Buffalo, favoring the finger lakes area (Watkins Glen State park is beautiful, but so are most of the other gorge/waterfall parks) and wine country. . and head north crossing I-90 one side or the other of Syracuse. Aim for Rt.8 East of Syracuse, going through the Adirondack park, past Speculator and eventually to Hague and Ticonderoga, crossing into Vermont at the Chimney point bridge. This is a really lovely ride, about 140 miles along rivers and lakes and avoids I-90 tolls and traffic altogether. There are some worthwhile forts, castles, historic sites, and such around Ticonderoga. . .a historic revolutionary war battleground. Some traffic through Adirondack park, but WAY nicer than the NYS throughway.

Entering Vermont on Rt.17, this is REAL Vermont .. . farms, open scenic fields. . by far the best authentic Vermont country fair occurs in the first week or two of August (the Addison County Fair and Field Days) and you'd drive right by it on 17 if you took this route. Continue on 17 to Bristol, VT for a stop; hit the Bobcat Cafe, or Marys Restaurant (Inn at Baldwin Creek) if you want more of a B&B just outside Bristol. Authentic, really good.

Cross the spine of the Green Mountains on 17 just outside Bristol--there are two choices for adventure--one a twisty gap road, or the other a 'change your shorts afterward' type ride. The tamer of the options is the Appalachian Gap--just stay on 17; the wilder of the options is the Lincoln Gap (google the Lincoln Gap road out of Bristol--you'll have a story to tell after). Both cross the mountains and put you onto Rt100, another gorgeous twisty scenic road flanked by rivers. Go South toward Rt. 4; Waitsfield, Warren, and Rochester are all terrific stops for a meal or overnight. . .or to change your shorts if you chose the Lincoln Gap.

On 4 east, pass Woodstock (touristy but beautiful, good restaurants, galleries, shopping) and take a gander down into the Queechee Gorge. . continue on 4 into New Hampshire, 118 North toward the White Mountain National Forest and Rt112, also known as the Kancamagus Highway. Another beautiful mountain ride, traffic in summer but. . .

This route will eventually bring you to Fryeburg, ME .. . you can head for fairly boring highway (I95) to dodge tourist traffic, or pick a coastal route (3) with heavier tourist traffic, but beautiful scenery. . no advice about that except to say I think the northern Maine coast, as you approach the Bay of Fundy, is worth the extra time and crossing at Lubec, with a couple of funky little ferries, is MUCH more fun than the other options of crossing into Nova Scotia. I've had a very nice stay at Cobscook state park, near Lubec. There are also some terrific provincial parks on the Bay of Fundy side, once you're in NS, much less crowded than the Maine parks IMO and the vast tidal expanses around Fundy are worth slowing down for, not to be missed.

thanks, Dave and Scott

I have plenty of time and if needed will leave a day or two earlier. I will check out these suggestions on the map and probably incorporate them into my route. again many thanks Bob

In no particular order:
Vermont
* Granville Gulf, rt 100 between Rochester and Warren
* Happy Valley, north of Stowe
* Brandon Gap
* Middlebury Gap

NH
* Kankamangus Highway (can be traffic-y, esp. on weekends)
* Rt 302 over Crawford Notch
* Pinkham Notch, past the bottom of Mt Washington
* Dixville Notch

Maine
* Bar Harbor/Mount Desert Island
* Acadia National Park - the loop road is amazing, and the ride up Mt Cadillac is a must!

Cape Breton
Anywhere, really. The entire Cabot Trail is as good as it gets.
* Do the entire Trail twice, once in each direction. The views are different, the different up/down aspect changes the riding challenges. Plan on a full day for the entire Trail.
* There's a small ski hill near Inverness on the northeast side - take the chairlift to the summit for awesome views.
* Glenora Distillery is amazing.
* The ride through the Margaree Valley isn't as breathtaking as the coast but it's beautiful and fun.
* If the bike(s) can handle packed dirt roads, go up towards Meat Cove on the very northern tip of the island. Spectacular views, and I saw numerous bald eagles there on my last trip.
* Try the oat cakes, esp. with coffee. Trust me.
* Baddeck is a great gateway town for the Trail. Good eats, quality affordable lodging, esp. the Cape Breton Resort.

Back