• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Return spring on clutch foot lever - 1996 K1100RS

MOONDOG59

Return spring on gear shift lever - 1996 K1100RS

Ok for those that have been in the trany, I see in the fiche that there is a spring, to return the lever up or down? :confused:
I find more and more lately that I have "double clutch" to go to the next gear, all gears. In a recent trip to mechanic to do something I didn't want to tackle (and to find out he didn't want to tackle it either! :confused:), he noticed a lot of slop in my gear shift lever and asked me why I didn't tell him about it. "I could have fixed while the trany was out" he said. "I said it's been that sloppy since day one (at 82k)".

So what does this spring do, hold the lever down or up?

Last edited:
wtf is a "clutch foot lever"??

you talking gear shift lever??
(oh, i've got nothing on what direction the spring pressures the lever internally)

Last edited:
Assuming you mean the shift lever - it returns it to the center position. It's sorta a horseshoe/funny shaped spring.

Failure of the shift lever to return to the middle is usually caused by grit and grime at the lever pivot rather than any problem with a spring.

Loosen and remove the lever and as much of the linkage as necessary. Thoroughly clean the bore of the lever pivot and the bolt/shaft it pivots on. Apply a coating of good chassis grease. Reinstall. I bet the problem disappears.

Sloppy shift lever

If the shift lever is "sloppy" as stated, it sounds like a loose grub screw causing the issues. The grub screw in my RS became loose about 2,000 miles after a spline lube. Pull the tranny back out and fix it before you get stranded.

Back