• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Brake Master Cylinder Leaking, 89 K75C

D

DEANCOX

Fluid is dripping out of the master cylinder assembly. In conversation with the parts desk at a SoCal BMW dealership, it was their opinion that it was like to be the master cylinder that was leaking and not the o-ring below the resevoir.

I have front dual discs, rear drum, no ABS.

Have any of you experienced this? Can the master cylinder be "tuned up?" I don't like the north of $200 price tag on a new master cylinder.

I have the manual that describes and shows the disassembly and reasssembly of the master cylinder, but it doesn't talk about whether you can stop a leak or any tune up type procedure.

Thanks in advance!

PS_if you order online from Beemerboneyard enter BMWMOA under "source code" in the "other information" box on the shipping and billing page for a 10% discount. :groovy

I bought a brand new master cylinder in January and I continue to get weeping of hydraulic fluid around the hollow bolt (banjo joint) crush washers. So purchasing another master cylinder is not always the solution to a problem.

What kind of washers of you using: copper or aluminium?

You may want to consider a new hollow bolt and/or new washers.

My master cylinder was leaking and it turned out the banjo nut on the brake line needed tightened. Check that first. I am amazed my 23 year old seals are still good!

Scott

My master cylinder was leaking and it turned out the banjo nut on the brake line needed tightened. Check that first. I am amazed my 23 year old seals are still good!

Scott

It isn't the banjo bolt or crush washers, it is leaking out of the handle area. A new master cylinder rebuild kit arrives today. I will let you all know how it goes.

Got the rebuild kit from Beemer Boneyard, easy peasy replacement. Bled the brakes with my Mighty-Vac speed bleed and jumped on the bike and made a run to San Francisco yesterday from LA. Nice to have front brakes!

Back