• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Carb(TB) Synchronizer

MUSICMAN

I'm looking for a new carb synhcronizer. My old *MotionPro (mercury) stick has bit the dust.

What do you recommend? I have a K75 and an r1100 gs.

I see Motion pro does not user mercury anymore and Carb Tune uses stainless steel.

Cheap and accurate is good.

*I do have my old MP stick, some of the mercury had leaked out of it after I accidentally tipped it over. I was able to suction up the mercury and put it in a container. Is there anyway to salvage the stick? It still has some mercury in it.

Andy

I would suggest you look at the Harmonizer. If you do a forum search you should pull up plenty. Just got done using mine, and I'm impressed again. (all over again)

Ken

TwinMax:)

I've got an early one of theirs and had it quite a few years now. Nothing better for my liking:). I do all my bikes with it, from Airheads to my newer Hexhead. 3 holes as in K75, just alternate hookups, job done. The TM has only two hoses. I've done friends multiple cylinder(3+) bikes(Yamaha's,etc) with no issues up to 4 holes, doing the above. Its a tidy setup and lives in my saddlebags, whatever bike I happen to be riding, my TM is there on nearly every ride. NO, I don't need it hardly ever, but I LIKE knowing I have the means to adjust if ever needed:) and it takes so little room. I suggest disconnecting the battery, as mine has an on/off switch too easy to turn on, kills the TM battery. Easy battery thing to do and never need batteries again:). My old TM takes a 9v...Randy:thumb

harmonizer?

thank you for the suggestions. I want to take a closer look at the Harmonizer but I can't find who sells it! I did many searches.

Over the past 40+ years I have used vacuum gauges, manometers, Twinmax, my ears, and a Harmonizer. The Harmonizer is by far the best carb balancing tool I have ever used. Very easy to use, auto calibration at turn on with no recalibration required during use. Excellent display with a tach feature, that nothing else has, means you only have one thing to watch while making adjustments.

I've gone from mercury sticks, to a TwinMax, now to a Morgan CarbTune:

http://www.carbtune.com/

Stainless steel rods in the tubes; very sensitive/accurate. And no batteries to worry about being dead or corroding.

Also has an available pouch (pretty cheap) which is well built, with separate compartments for the device, the hoses, and any adaptors you need (none of my bikes need adapter -- I just slide the hoses over the airhead/oilhead vacuum stubs).

A friend and fellow member here has a Harmonizer, we used it to balance my R80 carburetors a couple weeks ago.
All I can say is SWEET !!

Easy to use, heck even i could probably do it by myself :bow

unisyn carb balance tool does an excellent job at balancing most any multiple carb setups. no special hoses or drilling holes needed.

able to balance for low speed and high. very accurate results.
best of all about $30 .. why pay more?

you can pay more $$$ to achieve equal performance.
but you cannot get better results than with a unisyn

mCAdf9Dz1HRwcSMbB-Ksr67YZLbv3tTTssZ.jpg

When using your uni-syn are you pulling the air tubes off the throttle body of a fuel injected bike? Do you replace the air tubes as you move the device from side to side? Can you do that quickly with the fancy clamps used to hold the air tube to the throttle body?

I prefer a device or method that lets me check with the entire air intake system in use... snorkel, air filter, air box, air intake tubes, etc. I don't know that it makes any difference, just feels right. I also prefer that my bike doesn't breath unfiltered air. :dunno

When using your uni-syn are you pulling the air tubes off the throttle body of a fuel injected bike? Do you replace the air tubes as you move the device from side to side? Can you do that quickly with the fancy clamps used to hold the air tube to the throttle body?

I prefer a device or method that lets me check with the entire air intake system in use... snorkel, air filter, air box, air intake tubes, etc. I don't know that it makes any difference, just feels right. I also prefer that my bike doesn't breath unfiltered air. :dunno

unisyn is for carbs

Another Harmonizer +

I'd been using the $4.00 balancer. Kind of a pain if the bike is very out of balance and you need a place to hang it. Tried out the TwinMax at a tech day and found that I kept hitting the calibration knob and having to start again, not for me. Read about the Harmonizer, ordered one and love it. Simple to use and the Tach feature is a real plus.

Tool suggestions

Looks like the Harmonizer may no longer be available (see advrider link above) at least for quite a bit. Can any recommend the carb tune over the TwinMax? Thanks, Jesse

I've used mecrcury sticks, a TwinMax, and now use a Morgan Carbtune:

http://www.carbtune.com/

Stainless steel rods in the tubes (no liquids), and no pressure-to electronic reading conversion. At least as accurate as my now-dead Twin-Max, and in some ways easier to interpret when you can see the individual rods oscillating in the tubes. Fast shipping from the UK; obviously I'm a very satisfied customer. :thumb

Well, at least I got mine, Harmonizer that is. Love it. I got rid of my Twin-MAX in favor of the Harmonizer.

For what it's worth, that "4-6week availability" notice was post 06/27/2011 ... but apparently they're still not in production a year later. It's lookin' like another small American business bites the dust.. .. .
31.gif

Well, at least I got mine, Harmonizer that is. Love it. I got rid of my Twin-MAX in favor of the Harmonizer.

For what it's worth, that "4-6week availability" notice was post 06/27/2011 ... but apparently they're still not in production a year later.

You are being confused by the way the forum software handles dates with edits to posts. The original post was the 2011 date. The text in that original post was modified by a subsequent edit. The last edit was May 1 2012. As the contents of the post mention orders up to 4/30/2012 and say they'll be shipped by 5/2/2012 I'd guess that the 4-6 week availability started on the date of the last edit, 5/1/21012. It's been about 7 weeks, not a year.

That said, there still isn't any news on a start of production date. The vendor posted today that he might be interesting in selling or licensing the design [link].

Glad I've got mine.

I am also in the market for a carb sync tool, otherwise known as a manometer. I did a Google search for a manometer, and u-tube manometer, dual input manometer. Might broaden the availability of products.

Check below:

http://usd.qualityinstruments-direc...do?itm_id=143470&itm_index=0&item=1223-24-W/M

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DWYER-INSTRUMENTS-U-Inclined-Manometer-3T294?Pid=search

http://www.omnicontrols.com/detail.aspx?ID=48979

http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php/dwyer/1221-8-d/?product=158133

Back