• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member, New Owner

Islandjim

Hi there!

My name is Jim Nichols and I just bought a 2002 R1150RT! I have been looking for a few months, hovering between the RT and another sport tourer and finally settled on this baby. Price had a lot to do with what year I bought (02-03 RT) and this bike had everything that I wanted.
I might have paid a lil too much for it (5300 on Ebay) with 60,000 miles, but the owner seemed really honest and diligent with maintenance; so I took a chance and hit "Buy it now". So now...Let the journey begin!
I have been riding since 1986, when I dropped out of college and needed some transportation for getting back and forth to my menial jobs. Thus my first labor of love was bought for 200.00, a 1979 Kawasaki KZ400. It had weak compression, barely got to 80mph and needed a carb rebuild when I got it....but it was mine. I rode that machine for 2 years until a drunk driver rear-ended me at a stop light and totaled my shiny red lemon. Since then, I have owned a 1981 KZ650 CSR (sold it 1991), a 1999 Honda Magna (sold it in 2004), and now a 2002 R1150RT.
I haven't rode since 2004 because of family obligations, but kept my MC endorsement all the while hoping that I would get out on the road again on 2 wheels. Now that I have, it has brought back a little bit of my youth, a little bit of that young excitement.
Since I bought the bike, I have purchased 2 helmets (Scorpion EX-500 Oil, HJC open-face), Rev-it jacket, frog-toggs rain gear and Joe rocket gloves. I also got my battery tender for the bike, Cramp-buster cruise assist, and a Throttlemeister to replace the right side that fell off on my initial trip from Long Island NY to DC.
The first trip was AWESOME, easiest 300 miles I have ever done on a bike (can someone say windshield?) Went through sun, wind and rain all on this maiden trip and I had a blast!
Sorry about being long-winded, but I have been riding on cloud 9 since this past weekend and I am ecstatic to get to learn this vehicle and let it open up the world of back roads that I have dreamed of for the past 8 years. :thumb

Looking

Looking for some GS's to tour Western North Carolina with. Anyone point me in the right direction. I am a residents of Cashiers, just south of Asheville.

Sean

Welcome, Island Jim! Nice looking ride! I'm sure you'll love it!

Sean, see my post on your thread. You'll have better luck posting in one place rather than several. (Ad as a Mod, we try to keep the forum neat and tidy by cleaning up multiple threads on one topic.)

Welcome!

(a) Beautiful bike! Many people love that specific vintage of RT, for many reasons.

(b) You did NOT "pay too much" in any sense (IMHO), especially given your blooming love affair with adventure, made obvious from your post.

(c) Long-winded? HA! Brother, we're enthusiasts here, and love to hear about others similarly-situated. You let fly the words, and those of us who enjoy reading it will do so, the others will move on. Never need to apologize for being mentally ill!!!!! (Heh-heh). This is a small tribe, and the main canon is "Have Fun."

(d) These bikes are VERY EASY to work on, should you be so inclined, and there is plenty of help available.

Walking Eagle

The electric windshield may the most under appreciated item on the RT. I loved being able to adjust it infinitely, on the fly, to meet weather/road conditions. You will do some mile crunching on that machine. Enjoy.

(d) These bikes are VERY EASY to work on, should you be so inclined, and there is plenty of help available.

Walking Eagle

Thanks for the welcome Walking Eagle, I do appreciate it.

Your right about there being plenty of help available! It will definitely make it easy to work on this baby with the vast amount of knowledge in here.
Took most of the body panels off tonight to get at the battery (putting in a accessory cable), and with the knowledge base here and you tube, I was pretty comfortable getting around it.

Back