• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pillion seat heater plug 2011 R1200RT

BlackDenis

'11 R1200RT '12 F800GS
I recently installed a Corbin Smuggler. I am contemplating adding an electrical plug for recharging phone/camera/etc. Is there any reason not to source this from the passenger seat heater connection?

Just teeing into a live circuit is pretty ghetto wiring

A better way is to put in a fuse panel and wire stuff from it- that way you can also fuze each circuit correctly. Fuzeblock is the easiest to wire and will do everything you're ever likely to need

I have no intention of splicing into the circuit. The pigtail that supplies power to the seat plugs into a connector, which presumably can be purchased.

My question was concerning the CAN-bus electrical system.

I don't know how much the seat heater draws but if your accessory doesn't use near that amount the system may read it as a fault and shut it down. Let us know if it works!

Agree the draw + or - compared to the seat heater may affect the canbus codes.

Personally I would go with the fuse block. Not to hard to install.

Back