• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zumo 550 Map Update Secret Exposed

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
I have only done this twice now, and it has been a frustrating exercise. I have made a note and hopefully it will be easier next time. The memory space on the basic Zumo unit is limited by the hardware design. However, you can add an SDHC memory card and this is what I did.

I added a blank 4GB card today to replace the 2GB card that was there before. I'm not going to go into all the grimy details of why I upgraded, but since the new card was on sale at Staples for the huge price of $6.95 CA plus tax, who really cares. It was $2 more really, but they had the wrong price on the shelf and honoured that price.

Here is the procedure that seems to work: Use the Garmin Lifetime Updater program to download and install the new maps. Since the Zumo won't have enough memory in the basic unit, just install to the computer only. Download and install the latest version of Garmin's Mapinstall program. When you run it, it will eventually display a screen saying it has found your connected Zumo. This is the key point in the process. In that screen, there will be a drop-down arrow choice box. When you click on the arrow, it will give you the drive letter for the memory card you had already plugged into the Zumo. Mine is G:, but you better check for the correct item.

Go to the next screen and select all the map segments. I do that by putting the cursor in the top left corner of the map, holding down the left mouse button and dragging diagonally down to the lower right. Release. All the map segments should be selected in pink. Now just proceed. By the way, be sure you have lots of time. First, an index is built, then there is a slow transfer of the files to the GPS. I'm watching this part now, It says 13% complete, 53 minutes remaining... Anyway, this should be successful. When it is finished, a new file will be present on the memory card. The file will be found and used when the GPS is fired up.

A folder "Garmin" was created, with an image file inside. The GPS map info needed to be checked to ensure this file was used, but after that, all seems ok.

Now, if this old fellow can only remember the trick next update time ...

:dance:dance:dance

You can also use Garmin's MapInstall program to directly load the chosen map portions to the SDHC card. This can be done at any time after the GPS has been updated for any maps that do not fit on the unit.

Yes, of course ...

You can also do this using a card reader, which will be much faster than the Zumo itself.

It's got to work that way since putting the card in the Zumo is just using the Zumo as a USB-connected slow card reader/writer.

Hopfully, the laptop should write the maps to the card in the laptop's card reader faster. Will try this next update.

Thanks

I just used map installer etc to load the maps to my sd card in my zumo 550. It only allows me to load up the east portion of the maps. How can I get this thing to load all of the US and Canada? I'm confused.

Are you sure it's loading to the SD card?

I just used map installer etc to load the maps to my sd card in my zumo 550. It only allows me to load up the east portion of the maps. How can I get this thing to load all of the US and Canada? I'm confused.

In the little window that identifies your Zumo unit, at the bottom, there is a window with a drop-down arrow. If you do not drop down a list of drives and select the SD drive letter, you will default to trying to load into the Zumo's main memory, which is not big enough except for East, as you have reported.

So, find the SD's drive letter before using Mapinstall.

Also, my 2GB card had the last update on it and not enough free space, that is why i got the 4GB card ...

It really ought not to be this user unfriendly. A good program should be able to look around and ask you sensible questions about what you want to do. Alas, we live in the real world...

Let us know if this works for you.

Very helpful thread.
Another glitch to make us think we are going crazy...
We just discovered that some micro SD cards over 4GB are not recognized by the 550.
My Sandisc 8gb does work, but my friend's 16gb does not.

Back