• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

r90/6 Electrical problem - what's this wire?

derost

beemerFROG
Hello everyone,
I am putting my slash 6 back together and my photos of before are not as detailed as I thought. I am having a problem with the front blinkers. I have attached the wires correctly for them to work, only problem is the turn indicator on the instrument pod blinks once when they are engaged and then not again. Additionally, of the 2 wires that come out of the headlight for the blinkers, the solid brown wire goes to the negative of the blinkers, but where does the brown with yellow stripe wire go? It is coming from the main panel. According to Haynes, I think it is the one that says it goes to the starter cut off switch... how??

Lastly, there is a wire coming into the headlamp from the main wire bundle that is green with a red stripe... it has a female connector on it but I can't find where it goes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In my Haynes, the only green w/ red stripe wire is associated with the brake light. The wire goes to the rear brake switch...can't be that one. The wire also goes to the front brake switch...since you have the under tank M/C, there's a switch on the front side of the M/C. Could it go there?

The starter cutout switch should be in the clutch perch...this is what protects the starter from engaging if the clutch lever is not pulled in.

Thanks Kurt, I checked under the tank and those are hooked up correctly. It's very confusing (for my little mind!) in the Haynes in that the wiring diagram doesn't show which of the wires are in the headlamp assembly and which are on the wiring harness going through the bike. The brown with yellow stripe one was in a black tube along with the brown for the blinkers, and was about the same length... so it has to be in that area somehow. I am putting different blinkers on as I am turning it into a cafe racer with a Ducati fairing so it's not like it is back together in original fit. (My apologies to all those cringing at the mix of brands!:bow forgive me)

I think I may have found it...
I found somewhere that what the Haynes calls starter cut off switch is actually a clutch neutral switch. It would seam that the brown and brown/ yellow in question go the the underside of the clutch lever. And I need a separate ground for the blinkers, not this one. OK, one problem down... now I just need to find out why the instrument pod blinker indicator is goofy and what the mysterious green/ red wire is.

The brown with yellow stripe one was in a black tube along with the brown for the blinkers, and was about the same length...

Clutch interlock switch on the left control perch.

This is the wrong diagram, but the wire colors are the same; the clutch switch is above the words, "Wiring Diagram" (below).

78r100wire.jpg

The proper diagram... it's difficult to read ... http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/schematic1975,1976.htm

Thanks for confirming Lew... good thing I clipped the connectors off before realizing where it went! :banghead

Here is a shot of the mystery wire...:dunno
The only green/ red I see on the diagram is from the front or rear brake levers to the brake light... if this is indeed part of that, it doesn't tell me where is plugs into.

Thoughts????

wiring2.jpg

The BMW electrical CD mentions a green w/ red stripe wire as the handbrake mechanical light switch for the R60/6 only. Could it be that this is just the univeral harness and you don't need it on your bike? The diagram seems to show some kind of terminal in the headlight shell. I must be associated with the brake system as just about all the diagrams have this color wire hooked up to the brakes. Since all yours are accounted for (under tank M/C), then this is just extra.

My theory... :dunno

/6

I own two 60/6's one is an early 74, the other later 75. Now this is speculation so take it with a grain of salt. The 74 model does not have the wire you are mentioning, everything is wired where it's supposed to be, now the 75 model has the same wire that you showed with the exception is that it was hooked up to another connection, same color wire same color connection as yours. I have since taken the bike apart and it's in boxes for storage (short term). I also noticed that the 75 wiring harness was setup for disk brakes although the bike is drum brake equipped from the factory. So my assumption is that BMW started using these newer harnesses in 75 for all /6's regardless off brake equipment and that the connection your questioning is for drum brake equipped bikes, yours is disc correct? I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, but I have two bikes two sequential years to figure this out.
Hope it helps?

"Brake" annunciator in the instrument cluster? Interesting that a female connector appears inside the head light nacelle.

Is that lead energized when either brake is applied?

I just went over the linked /6 diagram. It shows what appears to be an in-line "connector" on the Red/Green wire from the hand brake inside the head light nacelle. It connects to a Red/Green wire running aft to the tail light assembly.

Attachments

• Slash 6 diagram.jpg
    Slash 6 diagram.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 113
Sorry for the delay... apparently my wife doesn't think working on my bike is a weekend chore! :fight

My bike has disc up front and drum in the rear. As it shows on the diagram that it is some sort of connector... I still can't figure out what it connects to? Imagine that, a diagram not exactly matching real life! LOL

I think what I do is just continue on with the rebuild and when I fire it up, hopefully in about a week or two... we'll see what's not working.

Thanks again for everyone's input, as a thank you I'll buy everyone a beer at the national. I'll meet you all at the beer tent at 7pm on Thursday... I'll be the one 6'1" and wearing jeans and a tee shirt. :wave

The wire on my 1975 /6 connects to my handle bar brake switch, using that exact same connector as yours. I have drum brakes up front.

Back