• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

new Maryland rider 1 year of riding

LuckyGrownup

:doh I never made my new rider post. I took a 20+ year hiatus from riding. Twenty years ago, I was riding a 1984 Honda CB750 and I had more hair. At 21, I was invincible and occasionally reckless. I never took any riding courses or practiced. But, I wore a leather jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet. One example of reckless was jumping the railroad tracks at 80-90MPH. An example of bad judgement was studying from a Berlitz Japanese book while riding. Back then, I was an over confident rider without the skills needed. However, luck and the grace of God kept me from being injured. After about 4000 miles, I sold the bike for a bicycle after having a scary near miss. After riding bicycle for years and having three notable crashes with cars, I came to the realization that motorcycles are safer. Last year, using statistical data and after moping for a few months, I got permission to get a bike. The only catch was I had to clean the floors more. I bought a used 2002 RTP with the goal of being a safe daily motorcycle commuter. Although, I took two riding courses, I was wobbly for the first few months of commuting. The bike was big and heavy. I had a few drops while doing slow maneuvers. But, I did not let this deter me. Early on, I overestimated my skills to stop. I had a minor collision with another vehicle in which I had no injuries or damage, but the other driver claimed injuries. After 200+ commutes and 15K in millage, I am a decent motorcycle commuter now. I still take classes. Originally, I hoped to save money riding motorcycle. Despite being a little disappointed with the cost, my stress level is less. I also enjoy my commute which was not the case when I was driving. I hope more people consider commuting by motorcycle. It is infinitely more rewarding than driving.

Last edited:
Well, it's about time!! Glad you've been hanging around the forum. Commuting can be an interesting activity...you really have to pay attention to what's going on. Good luck and continued safety!!

Back