• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Padded riding shorts..............................

willhawks

Friends,

I suffer from a medical condition known as "NOASSATOL". I am in need of padded riding shorts to compensate for my skinny behind. I am not looking for ballistic armor as I have that in my riding pants, I'm simply in need of padding. Any ideas are welcome.

Regards,

Will

I know the pain which you speak of.
I've done the following things to help me on the long rides:
1.) ButtBuffer pad installed inside my stock seat. They cut the foam & re-upholster it to look good as new.
2.) LDComfort riding shorts. Don't leave home w/out them!
3.) BeadRider seat cover.

Works for me. I just did a 1500 mile stretch in under 24 hours with minimal complaint. I've read where the padded shorts that bicyclists use are not appropriate for MC use.
-Scott

Bicycle shorts don't work... at least for me.. On a bicycle you sit on a different part of YOUR "seat".... I tried them.. . not any better... but worst in some respects....

Beadrider?

Small bum - me too.

Do you feel the individual bumps using it?

Reports say the thing works, but can you say a bit more?

Small bum - me too.

Do you feel the individual bumps using it?

Reports say the thing works, but can you say a bit more?

I have a cheapo Wally World bead seat on my bike. had to customize it but simple enough. Yes, they work excellent for those of use with boney behinds! You do 'feel' them but it is comfortable. Biggest benefit is with just a 1/2 inch movement of your butt, you have relieved pressure and applied it to a new location. I and promise you will no longer be a member of the 'soggy bottom boys' , which is the major cause of monkey butt.

BTW, wally world seat cover was $7.95 so cheap to try it!

Friends,

I suffer from a medical condition known as "NOASSATOL". I am in need of padded riding shorts to compensate for my skinny behind. I am not looking for ballistic armor as I have that in my riding pants, I'm simply in need of padding. Any ideas are welcome.

Regards,

Will

Hello Will! I'm using padded compression bike shorts from Aerostich and Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad. Both my bikes have original seats and this combo is comfortable for me on 300-400mi rides. I also spend 10hr days sitting on a beeded pad on my office chair, which is really an butt saver.

Maybe we'll see you in Sedalia?

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

Will, the BMW RT is known for a generic saddle that fits very few. The problem isn't your butt - it's the saddle your butt sits on.

I have or had Bill Mayer, Corbin and Russell saddles - all of which are a dramatic improvement over the stock saddle. I'm 5'8" and 158 lbs so I don't have a lot of butt either.

I have a fuel cell on my RT. I can and do ride 400 miles between stops comfortably. Where that's not for everyone, the point is, with my Russell saddle on the bike, I don't even think about my butt when I ride.

I'll second REI for padded bicycle shorts. Aside from the obvious padding benefit they also avoid monkeyfunk by not bunching up, by wicking moisture, and keeping things cool. Plus, they make it easy to move around on the seat and in riding pants, relieving pressure points caused by both seats and riding gear. Lastly, they are easy to clean in a sink with a little delicates detergent, and dry quickly.

Ive been using them for many years, three pairs will work on trips no matter how long.

Will, the BMW RT is known for a generic saddle that fits very few. The problem isn't your butt - it's the saddle your butt sits on...{snip}

+1 to Steve's comment!

WARNING: Exhausting post follows...

I have the opposite problem with my back porch -- I'm cursed with a 29" inseam and have >200+ lbs riding on my pelvic bones. I couldn't ride more than ~1.5 hours on the OEM seat (low) so here's what I did:

(1) I addressed the seat comfort issue first by going to a local rally and convincing several different seat owners (with beer) to let me try our their seats for an hour-long ride. Of course, I'd prefer to try out each seat for a day long ride, but that might have pushed the bounds of social grace at a rally! I approached folks who were as close to my build as I could find so I was reasonably sure the the seats wouldn't be a huge mismatch to body type. In the end, my butt was partial to the Russell Day-Long. YMMV, but you need to try a number of seats out.

I worked closely with my seat builder at RDL to find just the right combination of comfort and minimum height. This required the seat to be broken-in then sent back for adjustment. RDL was super to deal with about this though shipping back to Russell was on my dime. Also, because the changes were made to the internal RDL structure, the adjustment was the last "free" adjustment.

The result was that my prodigious butt was now nestled in a throne of comfort! After 3000+ miles, it is even MORE comfortable!

(2) So now, with a comfortable seat, my hips had been given a fixed point in relation to the frame geometry of the bike. The next task was to address the leg reach to the ground. Obviously, with my hips fixed, this meant either lowering the bike or extending my legs.

I found I could get a bit more reach to the ground if I adjusted my hips forward in the seat when coming to a stop. Parenthetically, one has to be a bit careful about doing this as you may find Lewis & Clark heading down different trails one you have scooted forward. Ok, this maneuver gained me about a half inch, but not quite enough to make me feel stable enough at a stop (again, YMMV).

As I was in need of new boots, I wound up with Sidi Canyons which have a substantial sole and heel. They can also be resoled (as Steve mentions) to add height. It turned out that with the hip scoot and the Sidi Canyons, I found the stability I needed without resoling.

(3) Finally, I addressed my riding position. My 5' 9" body dimensions are terribly mismatched; I have the trunk of someone about 6'2", but with a 29" inseam. If that doesn't provide enough of a curiosity, I have the arm reach of a T-Rex (33" sleeve length).

Having a nagging case of Catcher's knees, the "leg" priority was to make the angle between my thighs and lower leg less acute. Lowering the pegs did the trick. I have found that they do not scrape when leaned over, but I am not an aggressive rider.

Lastly, I addressed my (lack of) arm reach. I used two sets of Suburban Machinery bar risers/setbacks to allow me to actually touch the grips (think: T-Rex picking up a set of cars keys from the ground). This required me to replace the front brake line.

Now I am "fitted" to the bike and find riding for 4 hours a breeze. I could probably go all day, but I find that after 3-4 hours, I need a mental break and a opportunity to walk around a bit to "unglue" my Catcher's knees. I have considered converting my ESA to a lower, third party ESA set up, but I'll wait until I get a few more miles on the OEM shocks/springs. Because I'm not an aggressive rider, I don't believe the lower shocks will have an adverse on my riding. However, if there are issues about the lowered frame that I am ignoring, please help me to more knowledgable!

HTH,

Last edited:
Bicycle shorts don't work... at least for me.. On a bicycle you sit on a different part of YOUR "seat".... I tried them.. . not any better... but worst in some respects....
+1 Tried bicycle padded shorts and it did not work. Actually made it more painful.

Every bum is different, but I'll share my experience with wooden beads on a 3500 mile ride. I liked them in the rain and in the high heat and humidity of the South. They kept rain from pooling on the saddle and kept air flowing over the boys. Also, sliding back and forth across them was like having a loved one scratch my butt. Felt great! :kiss

On the minus side, I find them really uncomfortable on a firm seat after a while. I had a Corbin at the time, and it really was like sitting on pebbles.

I took a beaded seat and an AirHawk when I was doing 500-900 mile days on my LT. I would go 225-275 miles and stop for gas. When I stopped I would change what I was sitting on.

That changed pressure points and made the longer days more comfortable.

I have yet to do more than 350 miles in a day on the RS, but plan to do some seat changes like I did on the LT.

Also tried a gel pad, but did not care for it. A sheepskin was an improvement until it got wet, so I ditched that concept after a while. I had a complete sheepskin, legs and all that was dyed a reddish blond...my daughters called it Lassie. It took care of both rider and pillion.

I have not found bicycle shorts or some of the motorcycle britches in big enough sizes for my current circumference.

Affordable comfort solution.

This is an affordable alternative that is customizable by owner. I put one of these on a hard Corbin and rode 2000 miles. It was so comfortable the morning of my final day of travel that I fell asleep... Not the fault of the cushion but of a tired rider.

http://www.bikecushion.com/

This thing literally saved my a$$ and it can be moved from bike to bike.

I saw a lady at a rally recently with a product called "Butt Buddy" that looked interesting. You might google it. It attaches by straps to the seat.

Back