• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great wax for motorcycles

bandman

Like everyone, I'm always looking for a great wax/polish for my bike. I ride lots but I always like to keep my bike looking good. I've tried many different products but I have found the one that does the best. ZAINO. Zaino is a product which is used by many show car enthusiasts. I use the Zaino #5. It fills swirl marks and fine scratches. It keeps a "mile deep "shine on the surface. It is also easy on and easy off. This is a fantastic product. I now use it on my cars and bikes. If you don't have swirl marks, use Zaino #2 . Start off by using Dawn Dish washing detergent in water to wash off the old wax. Dry the surface and then use the zaino. Apply the polish and leave it on for a period of time. (I leave it on to dry for a hour and then wipe it off. This is in the directions. I apply a second coat a wipe off when dry. It actually lasts all summer. If you use it, I'm sure you will fill the same.
www.zainostore.com

Last edited:
This post has been moved to the HOG forum.

Forum Impersonator :whistle

Seriously though, thanks for the info. I'll look for it.

This post has been moved to the HOG forum.

LOL. The most popular wax on the Harley forum seems to be Lemon Pledge. I was skeptical but then thought... if there's anything Harley riders know how to do it's keeping their motorcycles looking good. The stuff works very well and it's cheap.

Any wax actually applied to the bike will work well. The tough part is doing it.
For my bike, I like the Turtle Wax ICE. You can get it on all surfaces and it leaves no residue.

Fact is, with modern paint, you don't need wax at all - unless you want swirl marks, and unless you want to see rain drops bead up. MecGuires (sp?) paint cleaner will remove surface scratches in clearcoat as it has a very minute bit of polish in it. Any wax will eventually yellow over time, unless stripped and re-applied. If you must use wax, pure Carnauba wax rubbed on by hand can't be beat.

I use the better Meguiar's products for both bikes and cars. For cleaning a really dirty windshield I found Mother's plastic polish to work really well. And for a quick and dirty cleaning of all surfaces - painted and otherwise - I find the Honda Cleaner Polish to be very good.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

I used Mequiar's Gold Class exclusively for years. Multiple coats usually. Then, on a lark, I switched back to generic old Turtle Wax, regular. The blue stuff. I immediately got a familiar hi-gloss result that I hadn't seen in a very long time. I don't know if it will last as long as Mequiar's. Will have to wait and see.

I use HondaLine Spray Clean & Wax on everything, bikes, cars, garden and yard equipment.

I initially started using it for installing/changing tires on motorcycle rims. Great bead lube. Started using it on bikes after running out of my fancy-brand(s) of wax. Keeps a shine for a long time and super easy to apply and polish.

mw
r1100rt

I never get a chance to put wax on my bike... the minute I remember to do it I am already a block away from the house and keep riding.... Don't remember when the last time I waxed the bike or what wax I am using.... :banghead

My favorites:)

NuWax in orange bottle is great stuff, from any auto parts supply. HONDA has a legendary spray can, wax/cleaner I've been using for quickies, for years and its really a decent price. "Lemon Pledge", the REAL original only appies here, as imitators stink! The LP is so old an idea, bikers did this one WAY back and it works unbelievably well. Even my eye doctor recommends Lemon Pledge to clean my eyewear, it does very nicely on windscreens and paint. Randy:thumb

NuWax

My bike only gets cleaned when I have to remove the tupperware; which means about once a year. I have found that the orange bottle of NuWax is good at removing all the crap I did not wash off. I use convertible window cleaner on my windscreen.

Fact is, with modern paint, you don't need wax at all - unless you want swirl marks, and unless you want to see rain drops bead up. MecGuires (sp?) paint cleaner will remove surface scratches in clearcoat as it has a very minute bit of polish in it. Any wax will eventually yellow over time, unless stripped and re-applied. If you must use wax, pure Carnauba wax rubbed on by hand can't be beat.
I'll qualify your statement by adding that modern clearcoats may not benefit from waxing in the same way as did enamels BUT! they still get dirty and a good modern cleaner/polish will take off that crap and leave a nice shine without swirlmarks. Also, an older clearcoat finish will have been scratched by exposure to this and that & may need polished but not so much the wax coat. Swirlmarks come from using the wrong polish and/or technique to polish.:thumb
FWIW, I like to go to Big Lots & look for deals on polish and the end isle clearance stuff @ Wally World includes several of the good brands mentioned. The spray bottle quick shine stuff is nice for a touch up on the tank.
I was at a Toyota dealer in Chattanoga once ,killing time on the lot & became acquainted with what must be the biggest rip-off dealer in the USA. They had, among all the various overpriced stuff as addons such as undercoating & pinstripe tapes the extra cost coating they apply to protect the paint at the tune of big bucks. Modern clearcoats don't need that crap! The idea that your"feeding the finish" or that it needs some sort of magic applied on top of the clear with these newer coatings & that's where we agree.

...For my bike, I like the Turtle Wax ICE. You can get it on all surfaces and it leaves no residue.

I agree with Turtle Wax ICE. It's really great on matte black because it does not leave a visible residue, and it's easy to apply and relatively long lasting.

wax

Ok Everyone. I was just putting some info out about a product I started using and just thought the info would be interesting. I have used both the Meguairs products and the turtle wax ice on my cars and bikes. I have found that the Zaino still give a better shine which has almost a wet look. It is a deep shine. No arguement about Meguair's products or Turtle Wax. I just brought up another.
I do ride a lot and put lots of miles on in a year, I Do Enjoy Keeping The Bike Looking Good. Nothing wrong with that.....

Back