• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BEWARE GTL Problems !!

iehrlich

I have had my GTL for about a year.
I was off to do a two week tour while on vacation. I took the bike to my selling dealer Eurocycles of Tampa from whom I purchased the bike. They are an excellent dealer and I have been generally pleased with them.
The bike has issues. The starter failed. (4500 miles on it) There were no replacements available.
It is now 9 days later and the starter has arrived however without a spacer that may or may not be required. The dealer has inquired of BMW but they do not have an answer. I contacted BMW customer service first 9 days ago and spoke to first a Duaa and then an Ata for assistance regarding the repair and trip interruption. I was told to expect a call back. I did not get one until a week later this time from a Jody Snively who said that no decison had yet been made on assisting me! She was to call me back again but has not as of yet. I have left her a couple of messages since.
I have incurred hundreds of dollars in hotel bills and transportation back to my home in Tallahasse some 250 miles away. My vacation is now ruined.
This is BMW's flagship long distance touring machine?
I have over $30k invested in it. I also have an issue with the bluetooth sound from the XM radio module which is extremely distorted. BMW has not seemed fit to address this problem either and has not returned my calls nor the dealers. I have called Schuberth and they said the problem is with the bike's electronics.

This is extremely disapointing. This is my seventh BMW motorcycle but may well be my last.

What a horrible experience. Obviously the bike has issues. You were the first that I've heard with such extensive problems with the bike.

With seven BMWs to date, I am surprised to hear that you would give up BMWs all together.

Have you had bad experiences with your previous bikes?

This is not the first report of inability to get parts for the 1600s after a failure. There was another report of an individual waiting a couple months for some minor crash parts, for example

Two things are pretty obvious here
1) BMW has failed to properly plan logistics of parts support for a new model
2) Organizationally, they're not prepared to deal with this rather predictable situation that could happen to a rider of any model- the need to expedite a pricey prt that isn't routinely available.

There have been falrly recent reports of riders waiting 2 weeks for FDs on R models- a completely predictable parts need that should always be overnightable.

Ultimately all of these are management and accountability failures

I don't understand the spacer comment. Wouldn't a mere spacer, of needed, simply be reuseable so already in place if needed?

No just routine maintenance. The RT and K12 GT had throttle response issues subsequently corrected be a ECU update. That was about it for problems.
Thnaks for asking.

What a horrible experience. Obviously the bike has issues. You were the first that I've heard with such extensive problems with the bike.

With seven BMWs to date, I am surprised to hear that you would give up BMWs all together.

Have you had bad experiences with your previous bikes?

Spacer

The old and repalacement starter did not have the spacer. The shop manual showed one.
The tech thought perhaps the lack of the spacer caused the failure.
He finally got a call from BMW yesterday stating the spacer is not required.
The bike may be complete Tuesday. Then I have to either get me to the bike or get the bike to me.
Still haven't had a response from Jody Snively at BMW customer service.
Still no response on the bluetoth sound issue.

Thanks for writing

This is not the first report of inability to get parts for the 1600s after a failure. There was another report of an individual waiting a couple months for some minor crash parts, for example

Two things are pretty obvious here
1) BMW has failed to properly plan logistics of parts support for a new model
2) Organizationally, they're not prepared to deal with this rather predictable situation that could happen to a rider of any model- the need to expedite a pricey prt that isn't routinely available.

There have been falrly recent reports of riders waiting 2 weeks for FDs on R models- a completely predictable parts need that should always be overnightable.

Ultimately all of these are management and accountability failures

I don't understand the spacer comment. Wouldn't a mere spacer, of needed, simply be reuseable so already in place if needed?

Too bad this isn't an atypical situation however, appears the extra cost for our exclusive BMW machines isn't being used on the Customer Service side...perhaps it's being used for parts inventory...Oh sorry, wrong again. Tell me again what is it being used for and please make it sound as sincere as possible. Questioning the Ultimate and Joy aspect of ownership.

Too bad this isn't an atypical situation however, appears the extra cost for our exclusive BMW machines isn't being used on the Customer Service side...perhaps it's being used for parts inventory...Oh sorry, wrong again. Tell me again what is it being used for and please make it sound as sincere as possible. Questioning the Ultimate and Joy aspect of ownership.

I wish I did not have to agree with Motodan, but Motodan is correct that BMW Customer Service is now at its lowest point that I have ever seen; it's so very sad!

iehrlich, I'm the BMW K16 Owner that racer7 was referring to: I waited 5+ months to get mein "Gisele" back on the road after a deer strike; due to missing $36 part!

I unfortunately had to deal with the same three "Representatives" that you had to deal with: Duaa, Ata and Jody were as worthless as teats on a boar hog are!

However, there is a Diamond in the BMWNA rough. Do your best to get ahold of Anthony Cavanaugh, he is the only straight shooter at BMWNA; He is a Good Man!

3/15/1969 started 43 years of continuous BMW Ownership: I love these Beemers!

But BMW Customer Service is at its lowest point; they don't give a damn anymore!

Radio Issue

Mt radio was replaced and the sound quality as well as having Satellite radio again has returned.

Aaron Sprague saves the day.

:groovyThanks for the feedback.
I still haven't heard from BMW customer service!
However Aaron Sprague the owner of Eurocycles of Tampa has stepped up and is having the bike shipped to me at no cost.
What a great dealer!!
I am still going to reconsider trading for a Honda given the state of BMW customer service and parts availability.
Pity!

I wish I did not have to agree with Motodan, but Motodan is correct that BMW Customer Service is now at its lowest point that I have ever seen; it's so very sad!

iehrlich, I'm the BMW K16 Owner that racer7 was referring to: I waited 5+ months to get mein "Gisele" back on the road after a deer strike; due to missing $36 part!

I unfortunately had to deal with the same three "Representatives" that you had to deal with: Duaa, Ata and Jody were as worthless as teats on a boar hog are!

However, there is a Diamond in the BMWNA rough. Do your best to get ahold of Anthony Cavanaugh, he is the only straight shooter at BMWNA; He is a Good Man!

3/15/1969 started 43 years of continuous BMW Ownership: I love these Beemers!

But BMW Customer Service is at its lowest point; they don't give a damn anymore!

K bike won't start

Can you give me the number to reach the customer service? I have a new K1600GTL that won't start and the dealer says they have not seen this before. I want some BMW involvement before I hit the dealer with this at the end of the week. I have to trailer the bike over 170 miles one way to Gina's BMW in Iowa City. Thanks.

I have had my GTL for about a year.
I was off to do a two week tour while on vacation. I took the bike to my selling dealer Eurocycles of Tampa from whom I purchased the bike. They are an excellent dealer and I have been generally pleased with them.
The bike has issues. The starter failed. (4500 miles on it) There were no replacements available.
It is now 9 days later and the starter has arrived however without a spacer that may or may not be required. The dealer has inquired of BMW but they do not have an answer. I contacted BMW customer service first 9 days ago and spoke to first a Duaa and then an Ata for assistance regarding the repair and trip interruption. I was told to expect a call back. I did not get one until a week later this time from a Jody Snively who said that no decison had yet been made on assisting me! She was to call me back again but has not as of yet. I have left her a couple of messages since.
I have incurred hundreds of dollars in hotel bills and transportation back to my home in Tallahasse some 250 miles away. My vacation is now ruined.
This is BMW's flagship long distance touring machine?
I have over $30k invested in it. I also have an issue with the bluetooth sound from the XM radio module which is extremely distorted. BMW has not seemed fit to address this problem either and has not returned my calls nor the dealers. I have called Schuberth and they said the problem is with the bike's electronics.

This is extremely disapointing. This is my seventh BMW motorcycle but may well be my last.

Related? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552507

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I've owned my GTL about 7 months and over 11k miles. the only problem I've had was a waterpump but my dealer had one in stock . It was a fast repair. No other promlems.

Cabler - I haven't used this number in many years (fortunately), so maybe it's changed, but it used to be:1-800-831-1117. And if you want to face them personally, it was 300 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07675

K1600GT, October 2011 build, owned 7 months, 5,000 miles, perfect bike once they got the BT firmware fixed. It's been an amazing, flawless machine.

I shouldn't have said that....

May I resurect this thread? What was the final outcome of your situation? Did you flip them the bird and go get a Gold Wing or are you now back in the Beemer saddle?

I'd sure like to know since I'm thinking of getting a 2013 GTL...

I've had my GTL for a little over a year. 15,131 miles as of today and have had none of the problems that a very small number of people have reported. This is a great bike!

Last edited:
I bought a GT last year and rode it all season. Not a single problem. Not even excessive tire wear as sometimes reported. And I am riding the thing almost exclusively two-up.
Great bike. Goldwing doesn't even come close.

A tip from a recently retired exec who is very familiar with how modern corporate "customer service" operations work.

Most firms see them as useful for marketing info. They rarely report to any part of the Operations / Production piece of an organzation so are in no position to get anything specifric done on their own authority. Virtually always, its "pass it on e responsible party" in another divsion where customer service is the lowest tihng on their daily list....

In short, you're pretty well wasting your time talking to any Customer Service group and if you want to find out the probability of them doing anything useful, find out how close they are to the Operations branch of the firm rather than Marketing.....

Last edited:
Back