• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Former/Current HD Riders

Bill Lumberg
Wife is interested in a Harley Deuce for sale in the neighborhood. She doesn't want to pilot, just ride behind me. I know it would be a stark change from the R1150RT I ride (and will continue to ride) almost daily. For any that might have experience in the matter, how well or badly does a softail, particularly the Deuce, ride and handle? I envision something more similar to my R75 than my R1150.

Last edited:
Whoa

Be very cautious here. Keeping in mind, everybody's body is different,
here's my experience.
I have had 6 BMWs and 4 Harleys.
I have a current Road King and 04 K1200GT.
I had a Deuce and I got rid of it as soon as I could.
The feet forward position and the laid back body just did not work for me.
I felt like I couldn't go fast.
I likened it to trying to run fast while leaning backwards.
The ergos on regular HDs are more normal.
The 'softtail' versions of HD all have the feet forward position.
They do look cool tho and
a lot of people ride 'softtail' Harleys and like them.
Try to take a long test ride if you can.
Maybe leaning back into your passenger would be a good thing tho.

On another point tho, I've done more repair on the BMWs than the HDs.

Personal ownership is 2 Harleys in the past; had and have many local friends with assorted HDs.

The twin-shock versions are more comfortable (my girl at the time could fall asleep on the back of my FLHTC!) and handle better than the Softtails. Disadvantage of the Dynas is that the motor mount alignment/tension is Absolutely Critical for handling, and many shops do Not know how to set this up correctly.
(Side note: exhaust on one side only makes primary case work less tedious.)

At that time I also had a couple of friends with Gold Wings. My FLH would easily out-handle them up on Angeles Crest (easy to scrape both sides with non-Harley tires and shocks), but of course they'd out-power me on the straights.

But Softtails do look good. She'd be sitting lower, also need to examine her available leg room; maybe she's tired of being way up, or cramped? On the other hand, you need to discuss whose bike it is, who's paying for it and maintaining it, etc... "Emotional" purchases are often regretted later.

my brother got his wife one

the front wheel may look cool to some folks but does not contribute to handling nor does the slightly excesssive rake.
he's getting a bigger wheel.

2003-Harley-Davidson-FXSTD-FXSTDISoftailDeuce.jpg

Last edited:
I use to own a Deuce. A wonderful bike, factory custom styling (front forks, stretched tank, rear wheel, etc.), and I had no problems with. It was a blast on mountain roads and handled fine. A nice in-the-bike feel to it. That said, it is more of a bike for a single rider. Very compromising for a passenger.

Any Softail is not a bike on which a passenger will feel really comfortable. The seat pad is usually too small, the suspension not really comfortable and the relatively high position of the passenger behind the driver will expose her to a lot of wind pressure. My wife and i still like tor ide our FXSTS ever so often, but these are shorter, Sunday afternoon rides through the park system or to the icecream place.

My eight years on a 1947 H-D FL obviously don't apply here ... but I remember, very clearly, where it did apply.
09.gif

Let's keep this in perspective!

Step back a minute and analyze the situation calmly.

His wife is GIVING PERMISSION TO GET A 2ND BIKE!

That in and of itself is a good thing. Maybe you should just get the bike but of course keep your BMW.

Aloha,
Huladog

Step back a minute and analyze the situation calmly.

His wife is GIVING PERMISSION TO GET A 2ND BIKE!

That in and of itself is a good thing. Maybe you should just get the bike but of course keep your BMW.

Aloha,
Huladog

Mine just approved a new RT :nyah

bmw - HD - bmw/star

OK, so not quite apples to applesauce...

My 89 airhead developed some major reliability issues (FD and charging). Some friends REALLY wanted us to continue riding with them and they had a "spare" 04 FLHTC (electraglide) that was given to us. How can one refuse?

I was impressed with the overall handling of that bike, but constantly in a state of panic about the costs to maintain it on a partially employed teacher's salary. :stick

So the time came that we offered to sell it to my wife's brother, who quickly said yes. We then bought my current 04 1150 GS and an 05 V-star 650 for my DW. :deal

Two thoughts occur:
1. Riding pillion on the airhead, my wife commented "it's like riding an anvil perched in a sequoia". Riding the EG, she was comfortable, could easily board and enjoyed the ride.
2. Any bike that has the initials STD in it's model - you gotta wonder...

thane

General consensus is, for an hour or two on the weekend, wife and I might enjoy. But it sounds like it would never be the go-to bike in the garage for my 80 mile round trip commute, even solo, right?

I have had H-D's since 1984 and like them a lot, including the softtail. But 400 miles on it is a very long day. However, I can ride my 1100GS for 7 or 800 miles a day and feel fine. The Harley is for state trips, but for serious road work I use the BMW

Just Do It!

Like other posting in this thread, I own both a HD ('04 Road King Classic - FLHRCI) and BMW ('03 R1150R) as well. The newest HD was a 2011 Road Glide - awesome bike and newest BMW was a 2009 R12GSA - awesome as well. NOTE: retirement is approaching and preserving cash, thus the older models in the garage!

Anyway...I am with others on the softails....great for one rider and two in a pinch - even though you do see 'em riding two-up and loaded down - just not for me. I have always liked the looks of a Deuce with the solid rear wheel, stretched tank, etc. - and the factory paint colors are very very well done. If the bike has been remotely close to being well maintained, you should have not problems. I have found current HDs to be virtually bullet proof.

Even though I scribe to the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" philosophy, I would go for it given you already have the permission!

Good luck with your decision and remember, if you (or your SO doesn't like the pilion) don't like it, you can more than likely sell it quickly as it is a popular model.

The best person to decide what to ride is the potential owner. Let her ride several different makes/models to see what she is comfortable with. The HD sits lower and allows persons with shorter legs to flat foot the bike at rest. This is a great advantage for smaller/lighter riders. Aftermarket parts for HD abound and the bikes can be serviced just about anywhere in North America. You will be impressed with the excellant gas mileage ( I have gotten 51 mpg cruising back roads between Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GA). The Duece is certainly not the handling bike a GS or RT is but can be a big confidence builder for a novice rider. Another plus is the resale value. I ride my CLC for long trips (over 400 miles to/from) and the FSXTI in the heat and on local trips. Excellant aftermarket seats for the Duece are available fron Mustang, Corbin, Sargent, and many other manufacturers.

General consensus is, for an hour or two on the weekend, wife and I might enjoy. But it sounds like it would never be the go-to bike in the garage for my 80 mile round trip commute, even solo, right?

My wife and I ride an 08 Heritage Softail on many 400 mile days with no issues. I had purchased the bigger pillon seat for her and then this last winter I put a signature series touring seat on the bike. To make a long story short when I last went looking for a new to me bike we tried out both a Gl1800 ( Goldwing ) and the Heritage Softail. The Softail won out, primarily because my wife found less wind on her and found the bike much more stable in our notorious winds. The Softail was a much more useful all around everyday bike. It's just fun to ride.

The last BMW bike I had ( not counting my 71 airhead project ) was a 2000 R1100R which was fine solo but a bit cramped with 2 up, and greatly affected by the wind in this part of the country. Very good bike in the twisties, but got blown around alot and top heavy when it was loaded up with a tank bag etc.

The Heritage is no BMW, but is a very good touring platform, if you don't mind some wind. Within its lean limits it handles fine in the twisties, but you soon realize that's not what the bike is really designed for. I've found the Heritage a very good all around bike, maintenance is a snap, and in my view keeping the Harley stock is the way to go.

If your wife is height/inseam challenged then she'll enjoy the softail family. Good luck on your search. Take them for a good test drive at a Demo day or borrow a friends.

Best friend;

We rode a ton of miles together for 25+ years around the USA. One year he bought a softtail HD and it sure was a cool looker of a bike. I rode it too and my biggest complaint was the mirrors are useless, might as well throw them away. Vibration! My first choice of HD is the BIG tour models they make, but never pulled the trigger as yet. GSA today and KLT before and many others by BMW I'm still on. Love the HD looks however, always have. Could hardly blame anybody for wanting one:) and their marketing department has all the others wondering where they missed the boat? BMW's, legendary! Well, USA has one too, HD. Randy

We rode a ton of miles together for 25+ years around the my biggest complaint was the mirrors are useless, might as well throw them away. Vibration! My first choice of HD is the BIG tour models they make, but never pulled the trigger as yet. Randy

When my airhead RT had a final drive failure followed by alternator crapping out (again:banghead) some friends had a "spare" Electraglide Classic that they gave to us. I wasn't prepared for that level of gift, but certainly appreciated the remarkable handling for a 900lb beast and the very comfortable ride.

To quote my wife "riding the airhead was like riding on an anvil perched in a sequoia". We just got back from our first 2+ hr ride on my 04 GS. While not quite an anvil, it certainly isn't a sofa and it is still perched in a sequoia.

And, yes, the mirrors on the HD were useless, even for determining whether the lights on the patrol car were flashing.:scratch

Look'ie Here...not there!

Mirrors??? "What lies behind you is no longer important"

Maybe its more of The Motor Companys marketing magic! :whistle

01Roadglide
04R1150R

Just this?

HOW to afford two Class A bikes at once! I make a pretty good living, but BMW and HD in the same garage is a pinch for me. I sure would not hesitate to have both:). I still love my GSA the most, for its adventure touring/offroad capabilities. Randy PS; It could be my eyes vibrating more with age:) AND those red lights from behind HAVE caught me in recent years. My "silver hair", I think got me off both times,LOL. Really did! Both were "dead guilty" stops too, as a really young guy would have been written, SO get that helmet OFF, show your age:). Randy:bolt

Back