• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 F650GS won't start.

rideaway

Rideaway
My 2009 F6550GS was hard starting acting like it was starting on one cylinder so I checked the plugs and they looked good but after I put it all back together it wouldn't start at all. I would like to check to see if the plugs are sparking but kinda hard with this bike. Will they spark with the air box off and the 2 sensors disconnected. I'm at a loss. My GS911 show no faults.

My 2009 F6550GS was hard starting acting like it was starting on one cylinder so I checked the plugs and they looked good but after I put it all back together it wouldn't start at all. I would like to check to see if the plugs are sparking but kinda hard with this bike. Will they spark with the air box off and the 2 sensors disconnected. I'm at a loss. My GS911 show no faults.

Update: - When doing an injector test With my GS911, I couldn't hear a thing but my wife could hear a very faint noise. After some persistence I finally got it going again on one cylinder while opening the throttle quite a bit and then the other cylinder cut in and it ran fine. So I only ran it for a few minutes and then did the injector test again. Now the injectors sound normal when tested, quite loud like a little machine gun. Waited about 10 min. and did the test again, now #2 injector is very faint again but #1 is still good. Very interesting, obviously it is #2 cylinder that is having the most trouble when trying to start it cold. Why is this happening???? I didn't even run it long enough to get anything other than the actual engine a little warm. Seems like maybe there is not enough voltage getting to the injectors, with #2 being worse, what would the cause for this be. I also put jumper cables over from my RT thinking the extra juice might help, not luck. Any Ideas? I'm not going to put up with this for long, if it start nice when the weather is warm I will sell it I think. Problem is it is the style of bike my wife wanted.

Your symptoms are similar to what my wife experienced. Her injectors were replaced and it ran great for 400 miles, then the same issue. Dealer replaced fuel pump, lines and injectors and it has run well for 2000 miles. The theory is that the pump had debris in it from its manufacturing process.

Your symptoms are similar to what my wife experienced. Her injectors were replaced and it ran great for 400 miles, then the same issue. Dealer replaced fuel pump, lines and injectors and it has run well for 2000 miles. The theory is that the pump had debris in it from its manufacturing process.

I would think any debris should be captured by the filter.

Injectors work when connected to a battery.

I have the injectors out and when I connect them to a battery they work fine but when I connect them to the harness on the bike and do a test they don't work. It seems to me they aren't getting full voltage. There is a steady 8 volts on the injector connector and it doesn't change when the injector test is done with my GS911. Ran cleaner through them while activating with the battery, the spray looked good right from the beginning and they showed no sign of being plugged but still will not activate on the bike.

Last edited:
Working now, sometimes.

I did get them working finally after cleaning them by fitting them in the end of a syringe and connecting the spray can of cleaner to the other end, filling the syringe and then using the pressure from the can to force the cleaner through the injector while I turned the injector on and off with the power from a battery, then they would run on the bike. So they must be running on lower voltage during the GS911 test and if there a little plugged they just won't move with anything other than a full 12 volts. Trouble is they still stop working once in awhile so I don't trust them enough to put it all back together. I think I will need to get them professionally cleaned. I hope I didn't damage them by putting 12 volts to them for to long, apparently that can be a problem.

Fortunately I haven't had to get into this as of yet. I did have a battery abruptly stop working and it became apparent that if the computer didn't see a strong 9 volts- I wasn't going anywhere. The old battery had to be out of the circuit and a new battery in place to get me back going. Good luck and keep us informed. Gary

Back