• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Chippawa Rally Boots?

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
I saw these boots, they seem to be well made, any other opinions?

Anyone have a set?

Attachments

• 050914_89_p1.jpg
    050914_89_p1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,418
Me! Me!

I saw these boots, they seem to be well made, any other opinions?

Anyone have a set?

I've been wearing them for the past three years. I was able to pick them up locally so I could try them on before purchase. I have small, wide feet and the 8-1/2EE fit me well and are very comfortable. They aren't armored, so I don't think you'd want to race them. No Gore-Tex, IMHO a good thing, as I think boots breathe better without it.

I have them. Have about 5000 miles on them so far. They appear well made with good quality leather. I rode thru heavy rain and had np leaks, which surprised me given the closure style on the side. I suspect I got lucky. They are comfortable while riding, much less so for walking for extended periods. There is no cushioning in them. After a painful day shopping and walking around Branson yesterday I'll add some foot pads and see if it helps.

I've had them for 3 years or so as well. I like that they're made in USA, very well made with a nice "cushiony" leather lining. I consider them a 3 season boot. The design means that it isn't waterproof and it isn't warm when it gets cold out. The plus side of this is that it isn't too hot in the summer either. I think its a nice styling compromise between the US biker look and the euro booties...

I've had them for about a year and half and they're my favorites of the dozen or so pairs I have. High quality, made in the US, and available in wider sizes. The only time I don't have them is touring where there is a chance of sustained rain. I find they're OK for a short time but eventually soak through, even though I treat them with Peccards.

Made where?

I've had them for 3 years or so as well. I like that they're made in USA, very well made with a nice "cushiony" leather lining. I consider them a 3 season boot. The design means that it isn't waterproof and it isn't warm when it gets cold out. The plus side of this is that it isn't too hot in the summer either. I think its a nice styling compromise between the US biker look and the euro booties...

I got a new pair last year because I have Chippewas that are over 20 years old and I loved them. The new ones were "Made in China".

It seems they now have facilities in both China and the USA...buyer beware.

I got a new pair last year because I have Chippewas that are over 20 years old and I loved them. The new ones were "Made in China".

It seems they now have facilities in both China and the USA...buyer beware.

I think the Rally is still made in the US. Chippewa's web site distinguishes the country of origin. (Danner also manufacturers in both countries but also indicates the origin on its web site). I simply won't buy Chinese made shoes or boots, but it's getting harder.

Per there website:

Rally is the ultimate motorcycle boot. It features a reinforced kick pad and Velcro?« side closure for a better more comfortable fit. Motorcycle enthusiasts and fashion lovers all know… Chippewa Boots is the name in motorcycle boots. Handcrafted in the U.S.A.

Per there website:

Rally is the ultimate motorcycle boot. It features a reinforced kick pad and Velcro?« side closure for a better more comfortable fit. Motorcycle enthusiasts and fashion lovers all knowÔǪ Chippewa Boots is the name in motorcycle boots. Handcrafted in the U.S.A.

They would only be better if they were made in Canada:ca:ca

Just kiding!

Nope

I think the Rally is still made in the US. Chippewa's web site distinguishes the country of origin. (Danner also manufacturers in both countries but also indicates the origin on its web site). I simply won't buy Chinese made shoes or boots, but it's getting harder.

Actually, if it is made in USA, the site says so. If it does not loudly proclaim that, then it is made in China.

That is where I was thrown off. I had no idea they had a Chinese factory UNTIL I received my boots. I was simply not careful enough.

I have looked for the this boot for a couple of years now. I usually wear an 11EE, my instep is "thicker" than normal, and I have huge calfs (all my 12" work boots have to be custom cut) so I need to try them on before purchasing.

Unfortunately, I can't find a Chippewa dealer who will order them for me unless I pay for them in advance ... and none of the three dealers I spoke with were willing to exchange a "special order" them if them did not fit. Needless to say I'm no going for that kind of service.

Zappos.com has a great customer service policy (free shipping - both ways) and carries Chippewa products (along with other brands of motorcycle boots), but not Rally boots.

Still looking.

I ordered mine through Blue Collar Workwear in Olean NY.

4 - 5 week back order.

I put $20 down on the $129 boots.

If they don't fit I will walk away, hopefully with my $20!

$199 w/ free shipping ok returns w/ $8.50 restocking fee or free exchange (sounds fair)

http://www.onlinebootstore.com/Merch...c?Screen=RETEX

Checked these folks out too ... their policy is one return (the customer pays shipping) per 30 days. With all the competition on-line these days, a $8.50 "restocking fee" is baloney ... if you asked me (no one did). I also found it a bit annoying that they ding shipments to military APO/FPO an extra $7.50 ... but it's their business, and they can do what they want.

A strategy that I have employed in the past (with other sellers) is to "bracket" my purchase by ordering an extra pair in a bigger size, wider, etc ... knowing that I will have to return at least one pair.

Checked these folks out too ... their policy is one return (the customer pays shipping) per 30 days. With all the competition on-line these days, a $8.50 "restocking fee" is baloney ... if you asked me (no one did). I also found it a bit annoying that they ding shipments to military APO/FPO an extra $7.50 ... but it's their business, and they can do what they want.

A strategy that I have employed in the past (with other sellers) is to "bracket" my purchase by ordering an extra pair in a bigger size, wider, etc ... knowing that I will have to return at least one pair.

I believe the restocking fee is only for a return/cash back, not a swap for different size...

Good luck!

I picked up a pair of these Rally boots a few weeks ago and, so far, I really like them. With size 13 feet very wide at the toe box (shovel feet) I had found NO moto-specific boots that would fit without pain. The EE width of these Chippewa boots works for me and the style is acceptable. Nice leather lining but no insole. Added a pair of smartfeet insoles and they are quite comfy. Still getting broken in so I do get some rubbing when walking around in them. Got mine at snakeboots.com... good pricing and they actually had them in inventory.

Dang! I thought Snakeboots.com was just a cutesy internet retailer name...

They really do sell "snake boots".

orange2.jpg
Danner44410SB-1.jpg

Back