• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2000 and have issues with my 2012 GT

R

ricoefamoso

Key fob ... have three ... unlocks and locks top case and side bags ... replaced 3 times in 3 months ... none of them work now. Left turn signal flasher ... stopped ... does not work ... my dealer ordered the part ... its in now ... states it will take several hours to pull off and install a new one. Engine guards finally came in ... installed now after 3 months. Asking my self "why" did i give up my 2010 RT to buy a GT. Seems like a 2012 GT should have all the bugs worked out. I will keep this for a year, then revert back to an R1200RT once they release it with a water cooled engine. The honeymoon is over.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems with your K16GT and it's true that there have been some problems that it seems like a disproportionate number of bikes have had but I personally don't think it's fair to characterize the bike as generally "buggy." I picked mine up in early January and have about 3,000 miles on it now. Here's the complete list of problems of any type on my bike:

. . .

This is the most amazing bike I've ever ridden, much less owned. It's got all day comfort with an unrivaled array of technological amenity and safety features and yet, at the push of a few buttons will unleash the heart of a hooligan bike on a twisty road. I'm still amazed that this is all possible in one bike. As a prototypical "retiring sport bike rider" that lives 150 miles from the serious twisties of West Virginia, this bike is exactly the right bike for me. But, it may not be for everyone and that's fine too.

Wes

2012 gtl here. Same experience as Pitts. 5123 miles as I type this and headed out for 3k ride tomorrow morning. Best six months of bike ownership of my life. Hope the dealer gets you sorted!!

Took out a 1600GT yesterday for 2 hours. I'm hooked. The GS is up for sale. Personally I think BMW knocked it out of the park with this bike. The launch is like a F18 on full burner and the handling is exceptional for a bike of it's class.

Can't wait to join the club.

Key fob ... have three ... unlocks and locks top case and side bags ... replaced 3 times in 3 months ... none of them work now. Left turn signal flasher ... stopped ... does not work ... my dealer ordered the part ... its in now ... states it will take several hours to pull off and install a new one. Engine guards finally came in ... installed now after 3 months. Asking my self "why" did i give up my 2010 RT to buy a GT. Seems like a 2012 GT should have all the bugs worked out. I will keep this for a year, then revert back to an R1200RT once they release it with a water cooled engine. The honeymoon is over.

I have a 2008 R1200RT. It is a great bike.
It's unfortunate that you've had too many problems your bike, and it has put a sour taste in your mouth. I am looking to purchase a GTL, but I'll probably wait a year or so. Good luck with your bike.

Back