• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Patches on jackets

norseman9

I'm starting to collect patches that I'd like to wear proudly on my Aerostitch suit. Can I just sew these onto the suit without the risk of damaging the material for waterproofness?

Any thoughts appreciated.

It pretty much depends how you sew them on. Do a good job and then spray the seams with Scotchguard and it won't leak any more where the patches are than it does anywhere else.

You have to find a way to sew it to the jacket without puncturing the membrane. If the membrane floats under the jacket it can be done with care. But, if the membrane is bonded to the jacket (as I suspect it is) you're S.O.L.

The Goretex membrane is indeed bonded to the nylon outer layer of your 'stitch so anything that punctures the suit creates a potential leak. When they built the suit the seams were heat sealed and the flaps under the zippers are used to re-direct water that might get through them (like gutters). To do it right you would also need to pull the liner out of the suit and then re-attach it every time you added a patch.

Back when I was collecting patches I used a reflective vest from conspicuity as a base. Easy to sew things to and easily transferable from one jacket to another.

Steve

I'd consider using an adhesive such as Barge Cement ÔÇö flexible, waterproof, and won't puncture the membrane.

To do it right you would also need to pull the liner out of the suit and then re-attach it every time you added a patch.

Not so. I've sewn countless patches in my short life, even to things with liners or inner layers. It can be done without removing or penetrating anything inside the outer fabric. Secure the thread to the patch (tie the first loop throught it or put a big knot at the end of the thread or whatever), then place the patch- maybe secure it with a straight pin or a bit of two-sided tape. Then get a hand inside the garment and pull the inner layers away from the outer layer. Sew as usual from that point.

Having said all that, if the waterproof layer is indeed a coating on the inside of the outer layer, a non-penetrating method of attachment would be better. Assuming of course that you can find an adhesive that will do the job without damaging the fabric, that will remain flexible once set, and which will not be harmed by moisture such as riding in rain or washing the jacket. Maybe some form of contact cement?

I got a few patches on my stitch, call stitch adn ask them to send you some of the sealer tape, just iron it on. or just use a good seam sealer by the holes

NorseMan9 said:
Any thoughts appreciated.

How big is your collection going to be? In other words, how many years before you'll run out of places to put them on your 'Stich? I ran into this "space problem" some years ago, when most rallies offered a patch rather than a pin that seems more common these days.

From what I've seen, most experienced rally-goers have patches on a vest (as noted - more versatile) or on a tent fly. Of course, these often are accompanied by a hat that is festooned with pins.

Patches or pins, they do bring back great memories! :clap

Patch Attach

I have about 15 patches on my nylon cordura jacket of national parks and rallys I've ridden to. They are all attached with an adhesive called "Patch Attach" I bought some at a sporting goods store, but I also know its avialable on line. The stuff is great! None of the patches have come loose and the adhesive is waterproof and flexible. Its heat activated so you have to set the patch with an iron and if you ever want to take the patch off, you just heat it up with an iron again and that loosens the adhesive.

Tarren Shaw said:
Its heat activated so you have to set the patch with an iron and if you ever want to take the patch off, you just heat it up with an iron again and that loosens the adhesive.

Tarren this Patch Attach Sounds like "good stuff" I gotta get me some.

I'm going to write First Gear and see if i can get a sample of mesh for a test. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Patch Attach...a little dab'l do ya!

CG John said:
Tarren this Patch Attach Sounds like "good stuff" I gotta get me some.

CG John: Tarren is right about 'Patch Attach.' A couple of places to buy for your consideration... here and another here . I tried Cabela's and CampMor, two long-time favourites, but they no got!!

Iron away, bud! :twirl :nod

Price and Product comparison sites

Here are several Price Comparison and Product Rating sites.
This should help you with product research and purchasing items online:

www.bizrate.com (This one has a Good Product Comparison option)

www.shopzilla.com (Good for Pricing)

www.pricegrabber.com

This one is good for searching just about anything: www.snap.com Just type in the box and narrow your search down.

I like to read some product reviews before spending my fun tickets.

re: Vest

My Patch collection sits in a zip-lok bag on my dresser. If I was so inclined to display them I think the vest idea is the best. Plus, you won't need to move the patches when you get a new jacket. On the other hand when I rode my Guzzi and had a huge nylon eclipse tankbag I sewed my patches on that. It looked like bumperstickers on a car.

wow, this is embarrassing. we're supposed to put those on a jacket? i thought they were just freebies, and so whenever a pair of skivvies gets a hole worn in it, i've been using a motorcycle patch...

username said:
wow, this is embarrassing. we're supposed to put those on a jacket? i thought they were just freebies, and so whenever a pair of skivvies gets a hole worn in it, i've been using a motorcycle patch...

Sure.. but look at your Gold Bond annual budget to prevent rash......

;)

username said:

Plug or a patch? :ha

Tarren Shaw said:
I have about 15 patches on my nylon cordura jacket of national parks and rallys I've ridden to. They are all attached with an adhesive called "Patch Attach" I bought some at a sporting goods store, but I also know its avialable on line. The stuff is great! None of the patches have come loose and the adhesive is waterproof and flexible. Its heat activated so you have to set the patch with an iron and if you ever want to take the patch off, you just heat it up with an iron again and that loosens the adhesive.
What a great tip! Thanks for sharing!

:clap :clap :clap :clap

Back