• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip to Arkansas

T

therighttime

I am planning a trip to Arkansas in June and would like to hear from the members about places to visit in the Ouachita and Ozark.
Any itinerary to suggest, hotel/motel to stay and places to eat.
I also like to visit caves, any suggestion?
Thank you.

Endless good riding in the Ozarks and Ouachitas. I'll start with a cave, since you mentioned caves. Blanchard Springs Caverns, just north of Mt. View. Excellent, large, beautiful, extensive, tours. This area is loaded with great riding, 14, 5, 9, 58, 341 all great riding roads. 341, called the Push Mnt. Rd. is getting a lot of attention lately. Mt. View is famous for folk, country music. All roads around The Buffalo National River are scenic. Eureka Springs is called the Switzerland of Arkansas. Sweet 16 from Searcy to Siloam Springs is over the top. South of I-40 and the Arkansas River are 3 great mountain peaks. Petit Jean Mt, At Morrilton; Mt. Nebo, at Russellville/Dardanelle; and Mt. Magazine at Paris/Havana are well worth riding. Is that enough, do you need more in the Ouachita's. :brow :wow

Endless good riding in the Ozarks and Ouachitas. I'll start with a cave, since you mentioned caves. Blanchard Springs Caverns, just north of Mt. View. Excellent, large, beautiful, extensive, tours. This area is loaded with great riding, 14, 5, 9, 58, 341 all great riding roads. 341, called the Push Mnt. Rd. is getting a lot of attention lately. Mt. View is famous for folk, country music. All roads around The Buffalo National River are scenic. Eureka Springs is called the Switzerland of Arkansas. Sweet 16 from Searcy to Siloam Springs is over the top. South of I-40 and the Arkansas River are 3 great mountain peaks. Petit Jean Mt, At Morrilton; Mt. Nebo, at Russellville/Dardanelle; and Mt. Magazine at Paris/Havana are well worth riding. Is that enough, do you need more in the Ouachita's. :brow :wow

Any hotel that you would recommend in the area? I am going to look at the map and will get back to you if I have any additional questions.

No I'm usually camping out on my bike and when I'm in my van, I sleep in it at truck stops and Walmart stores.

Petit Jean (pronounced "Petty Gene", not pahTEE zhaun..this is the Ozarks after all!) is a nice state park with cabins, a lodge and a nice restaraunt! The lodge and restaraunt are remodeleed just this year! Also a nice hiking trail at Petit jean with a decent water fall.

Just pick a road around there and ride it, they are all good!

Eureka Springs is a great 'people watching' place. Lots of 'artsy fartsy' stuff and plenty of independant places to eat. I love the place! But, you should park the bike and plan on walking, as it is not a easy place to manuever a bike around. Lots of hills, alleys and traffic. Walking is faster!

Yes Petit Jean and Mt Magazine both have nice lodges for over night accomadations. Eureka Springs has quite a few very nice motels and hotels. Petit Jean/ Mather Lodge and cabin resv. 501 727 5431, 1 800 264 2462 Mt. Magazine lodge/ cabin resv. 1 877 665 6343 Both lodges are very nice. Eureka Springs Cof C 1 800 6EUREKA or 479 253 8737

In Hot Springs Arkansas, I have stayed at The Alpine Inn, a mom and pop place. Not fancy, but clean and cheap, and covered parking for bikes. Its a motel type place, with a row of rooms, like the old days. Park in front of your door! I liked it, but Im adventurous! I have spoke to others who liked it also.

I didnt find Hot Springs to be that interesting of a town though. They do have a horse track though!

Arkansas

I like to stay at The Hub in Jasper, right on Hwy 7 South. Great riding in the area, Hwy 7, 23, just to name a couple. Just got back from a 1 day trip over there and going again for 3 days next week. The Hub is a motorcycle motel with a nice restaurant, good people run it and you get great rates and even better service.

http://www.ridersrestmotel.com/

nice motorcycle only motel with british owners in eureka springs. great riding in the area in about any direction.

Thanks to all for the answer and tips about my coming trip. I like the biker friendly motel that has riding maps on their web site. That's great.
Mount Magazine has also a nice accomodation with a decent price on the rooms. The cabins are a bit over my budget.

I haven't heard any comments on the Ouachita area and potential rides there.

Ouachita scenic rides

Hot Springs is the famous Spa City. Nestled in the Eastern end of the Ouachita Mountains. Famous for horse racing, hot springs bath house row, mountain and lake resorts that surround the city. Ride north on Scenic 7 all the way to Harrison. Probably the most famous scentic drive in Ar. Probably two famous due to all the motor homes using it. Or take 270 West out of H.S. to Mena Ar. Another alt. is to catch 88 west to Mena. Almost as pretty and less traffic to boot. Stop at the Lum&Abner Museam. At Mena get on the Talimena Drive Hiway 88, be sure to stop at all the little scenic overlooks for some breathtaking views. The lodge at Queen Wilhelmena is a must stop. Continue the ride on Hiway1 to Talihina, Ok. The drive is about 70 miles in length. Many scenic overlooks, and historical stops on the way. Many mom&pop motels, campgrounds, etc. in Hot Springs and all the the surrounding areas. Ride and have fun in Ar. ps Talimena Dr gets its name from combining Talihina and Mena town names.

Back country:)

Find OARK,Ark. and you're lost:). Not too far from I40, but still lost or seems so. Some cool places in them thar deep woods, where the sun doesn't even hit tarmac or dirt roads under the tree canopies at mid day:). Ya gotta like hound dogs, sweet tea and even a few folks with no more than change in their pockets and so very friendly and easy going. That OARK General Store is oldest continuing open store since the Civil War days in Arkansas. A neat GRILL too, so stay for lunch and pet the dog:)on the porch...I did. Randy:thumb

That OARK General Store is oldest continuing open store since the Civil War days in Arkansas.[/QUOTE said:
If you go to the Oark General Store... you have to eat some PIE... yes they make GREAT pie...!!!

Just got back from a trip in Ozark Mountain's of Arkansas... it was a group ride... as a we were getting back on our bikes, the owner came out shouted out to us that he appreciated our business and please come back...

Did i mention the great pie...? that is all i ate for lunch that day... and wasn't the only one.

I will make sure to stop by the General Store in Oark after such a good reviews...

Hot Springs is the famous Spa City. Nestled in the Eastern end of the Ouachita Mountains. Famous for horse racing, hot springs bath house row, mountain and lake resorts that surround the city. Ride north on Scenic 7 all the way to Harrison. Probably the most famous scentic drive in Ar. Probably two famous due to all the motor homes using it. Or take 270 West out of H.S. to Mena Ar. Another alt. is to catch 88 west to Mena. Almost as pretty and less traffic to boot. Stop at the Lum&Abner Museam. At Mena get on the Talimena Drive Hiway 88, be sure to stop at all the little scenic overlooks for some breathtaking views. The lodge at Queen Wilhelmena is a must stop. Continue the ride on Hiway1 to Talihina, Ok. The drive is about 70 miles in length. Many scenic overlooks, and historical stops on the way. Many mom&pop motels, campgrounds, etc. in Hot Springs and all the the surrounding areas. Ride and have fun in Ar. ps Talimena Dr gets its name from combining Talihina and Mena town names.

The lodge and restaurant at Queen Wilhelmena state park are closed for renovations and remodeling until 2013. The campground is open.

The Talimena Scenic Drive is worth the trip to that area even without the lodge at the state park. I did a day ride from the lodge at Mt Magazine to the Talimena Scenic drive last October. With all the trees in their fall color it was a fantastic ride.

Any hotel that you would recommend in the area? .

We've stayed at this place two times and like it. It's on Hwy. 7 south of Jasper.

Cliff_House.JPG

The Ozark Cafe in Jasper is a good place to eat.
Ozark_Cafe.JPG

As mentioned above, the Oark Cafe is another good place to eat.
IMG_0041.jpg

The Hotel Seville in Harrison Ark. has been restored and looks like an interesting place to stay.

http://www.hotelseville.com/

motorcycle%20entrance%20medium.jpg

Last year we stopped and looked at several rooms and they looked nice. We hear the restaurant is good and the Hotel has inside parking for your bikes.

A little bit of help

Leaving in six weeks from Lake Havasu, AZ to Hot Springs, AR and am having a difficult time with the maps to stay off the interstates as much as possible without adding a lot of time to the ride.
Any suggestions?
As an aside, my brother just bought a new Harley Road King w/everything on it except a toilet. I joined him for his first long ride and we came across a dusty old cafe which had a parking lot full of Harleys, only to discover that it was a meet for "Motorcyclists for Christ" club. When I noted that we were welcome to ride our bikes through a canopy and have them blessed, I suggested to him that he might tip the minister and come out the other side on a BMW. At the age of 67 he still knows what his middle finger is for.

Back