• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New to BMW, Need information

passnthru

Hello,I'm Retired, New to BMW, well seasoned on Harleys. Presently ride a HD Ultra.
I am interested in a R1200 RT. I live in south central Ky and have 3 BMW dealers in
what I call "One Day Service and get back Home area". Lousiville, Nashville, and
Chattanooga. I would appreciate ANY BMW info and any refrences on the BMW
dealer in these 3 cities. Thanks in Advance................passnthru

Hey passinthru, welcome to the MOA. I can not speak for the dealers in your area but I first bought my 1150RT 5 years ago and have done all the maintenance at home. You might want to consider this route as you go, considering the cost and annoyance savings, not to mention that you will know exactly what was done and how it was done. In the past I have found that dealerships were not as conscious as I would be especially when it came down to jobs dealing with safety or jobs that are not readily apparent. Doing your own wrench work is pretty easy especially with a shop manual and the shared experience here at the MOA site. Start simply and work your way up if you are not accustomed to doing this work. Which ever way you go, good luck!

I'm new to Beemers myself and have a little info regarding the Louisville dealer. While they seem to be decent people, I will say that the prices they are asking for used bikes is completely ridiculous.

I have no actual knowledge regarding their parts or service divisions since I have quickly learned that my bike (2000 R1100RT) is one of the easiest motorcycles to service that I have ever owned.

Enjoy! I did a complete 180 from my usual type of motorcycle when I bought my RT and so far I'm very happy. Makes me wonder why I waited so long.

I did a complete 180 from my usual type of motorcycle when I bought my RT and so far I'm very happy. Makes me wonder why I waited so long.

Same here! I did this when I bought my 11RT in 2001. Although it was not my first BMW, it was the first BMW I used for longer trips and as my main motorcycle. The dealer location and/or performance really did not come into play and was never a consideration. I ride 2-up 98% of the time I spend on a bike and when we test-rode the RT, the decision was easy.

While I live in Eastern KY, I don't go to a dealer for service. You might call Mike Well's Racing in Lexington,KY. He is good! & I have seen BMW's in his shop for service though it isn't his specialty. Reasonable & long time experienced.
I suggest that you follow the above & do the regular & easy stuff at home. The rest will be not so often really.

Never went to the one in Nashville. I was in the Chattanooga shop last Saturday and they were very nice, came to me when I pulled up, sold me a $1.50 O-ring, very accommodating. It was only after I'd been there for 15 minutes that I realized that they weren't open- I was there before they'd even set up bikes and weekend outdoor displays. But no one ever said a word. I've looked at a couple of harleys, a deuce to be specific, in the not recent past. What has you moving to BMW? Different riding habits in retirement?
Hello,I'm Retired, New to BMW, well seasoned on Harleys. Presently ride a HD Ultra.
I am interested in a R1200 RT. I live in south central Ky and have 3 BMW dealers in
what I call "One Day Service and get back Home area". Lousiville, Nashville, and
Chattanooga. I would appreciate ANY BMW info and any refrences on the BMW
dealer in these 3 cities. Thanks in Advance................passnthru

Never went to the one in Nashville. I was in the Chattanooga shop last Saturday and they were very nice, came to me when I pulled up, sold me a $1.50 O-ring, very accommodating. It was only after I'd been there for 15 minutes that I realized that they weren't open- I was there before they'd even set up bikes and weekend outdoor displays. But no one ever said a word. I've looked at a couple of harleys, a deuce to be specific, in the not recent past. What has you moving to BMW? Different riding habits in retirement?

Bill, Thanks for the info on Pandora's in Chattanooga. I plan on visiting them soon. I've been a Harley Head for years and years. No problem with me and Harley. I truly enjoy my Ultra Limited. Plan on keeping it too. I am not MARRIED to any brand. I love motorcycles. I dont flame anybody.... Ride what you like and feel good riding. I have always had an interest in BMW, their history and heritage, kinda like Harley. I know that BMW is ahead of Harley in techology and being in the sunset of my motorcycle life, I want to have another hopfully good relationship with BMW. So here I am, looking in a different direction . Its the best of both worlds and I dont know where it will lead... Now aint that kinda like LIFE........ like my signature sez.......... Just....... passnthru

Back