• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hard starting r80rt when cold

J

J.R.

Any time it's below 50?? f, it takes 30-90 seconds of cranking starter to start. Choke seems to never help. Replaced starter and battery. On a warm day it starts immediately. Any thoughts?

Has this always been a problem or did it just start? The first place I'd look is to check the operation of the choke and what happens at the carb. It's possible that the chokes (aka enricheners) are not actually engaging or partially so.

Owned it 5 years and always been that way. I'll check choke and carbs.

hard starting

my 86 r80rt was hard to start until I will give it little gas just about 1/8 turn on the gas,after that it would start right up,

my 86 r80rt was hard to start until I will give it little gas just about 1/8 turn on the gas,after that it would start right up,

Ill agree with this, my 85 needs just a touch , little touch of throttle and choke full on if very cold and or been a while since started.

If not so cold ( I dont think 50 is so cold) my bike actually starts easier with the choke not full on and no fuel

Ive read of people twisting full on and off the trhottle is doing nothing for these bikes, they dont have accelerator pumps like an old chevy

however, someplace I have read that having the throttle open is not needed. I think I even read that in the owners manual years back

I agree with the other guys, mine needs half choke and fires right off if its above 45F or so. When its in the 30's or below I give it full choke, as it fires a liitle help with the throttle. But it catches every time within 2-3 seconds. Operate the choke and watch the choke cable on each carb to make sure the enricher levers are moving.

My 86 has to have the choke on completely regardless of the temperature the first time it is started. It likes to have a little throttle but not much. It has never failed to start in 13+ years.

mine was doing the same thing this spring... 1/2 choke, crank, no choke, crank, fires up... replaced the spark plugs, presto!

My 85 R80RT was hard starting when cold, when I bought it a few years ago. I tried a few different things. It turned out the valve clearance had gone. none. When cold the valves wouldn't be closed long enough. When hot, the head had expanded enough to keep them closed long enough. My theory anyway. Setting them properly solved the problem. Good luck. frank coleman

Back