• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1993 K75S ECE - Belly Pan or Engine Spoiler

Just a follow-up: I got everything together, sent the pan to the painter with some leftover paint from when the rest of the bike was painted, and have assembled and installed it (along with replacing the gasket between the muffler and header, which was leaking badly). I think it looks pretty good! It makes the bike look more finished to my eye. It's a little fiddly to get off and on, but not so much that I see it as a bother. Thank you all for your help and answering my questions!
:beer

Attachments

• K75C engine spoiler.jpg
    K75C engine spoiler.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 102
Just a follow-up: I got everything together, sent the pan to the painter with some leftover paint from when the rest of the bike was painted, and have assembled and installed it (along with replacing the gasket between the muffler and header, which was leaking badly). I think it looks pretty good! It makes the bike look more finished to my eye. It's a little fiddly to get off and on, but not so much that I see it as a bother. Thank you all for your help and answering my questions!
:beer

I very much like the looks of a K-bike with the belly pan (lower spoiler). Like you, it looks more finished to me. As fiddly as the standard belly pan seems to be, I have a K75 which came to me with both a belly pan and BMW crash bars. This is the only one I've ever seen, and I soon learned why.

There was a hole in the right side of the pan to accommodate the lower leg of that crash bar. And a long (8" ?) serpentine cut in the left side for the lower leg of that crash bar. To take it off, you had to remove the right crash bar completely, then remove the two bottom bolts, and then wiggle the pan around to follow the serpentine cut to get it to move forward around the bottom leg of the left crash bar. That was the easy part. Putting it on was the reverse, but once you had it on around the crash bars you had much more limited movement to get the tail tab, the radiator tab, and the bottom grommet groves aligned. This process would tax your coordination and vocabulary every time.

Eventually, the crash bars and belly pan got damaged in an accident and I ditched both and replace with a standard belly pan. But, having lived with that combo nightmare for several years, the standard belly pan seems easy to me. :)

Great looking bike. I had the same bike, same color with a Pichler fairing. I agree that the belly pan finishes the K bike but they also add another something to play with at each oil change. A few more dollars each time if you take it to a dealer for service. Enjoy it.

Ok, I will have to try this. I have two K75's with belly pans, so if this is the trick I'm going to really appreciate it! :rocker

Just a note on my own "belly pan" issues for anyone who's interested. I had to lift the front end of my K75s to do some tire/rim work. I removed the belly pan and put a folded towel over my floor jack to support the engine.( Too close to the front I later found out, although I was trying to protect the pan fins) When I went to put the pan back on I fought with it for an hour before realizing that with the jack, I had inadvertently shifted the plastic front pan bracket into a up-tilted position. It would never have fitted together. Fortunately I hadn't damaged it. I moved the bracket back into position, and used Lee's idea of loosening the back support. It went together. ( I also put Vaseline on the rubber mounts to let them slide together better.) That plastic mount is now, as far as I can tell, unobtainable, which means no more belly pan. From now on, the jack goes under the solid engine pan.

Just a note on my own "belly pan" issues for anyone who's interested. I had to lift the front end of my K75s to do some tire/rim work. I removed the belly pan and put a folded towel over my floor jack to support the engine.( Too close to the front I later found out, although I was trying to protect the pan fins) When I went to put the pan back on I fought with it for an hour before realizing that with the jack, I had inadvertently shifted the plastic front pan bracket into a up-tilted position. It would never have fitted together. Fortunately I hadn't damaged it. I moved the bracket back into position, and used Lee's idea of loosening the back support. It went together. ( I also put Vaseline on the rubber mounts to let them slide together better.) That plastic mount is now, as far as I can tell, unobtainable, which means no more belly pan. From now on, the jack goes under the solid engine pan.

Good story. I remove that belly pan bracket to gain access to the front of the oil pan where I use a short piece of 2x4 between the jack and the oil pan. All good stuff.

Good story. I remove that belly pan bracket to gain access to the front of the oil pan where I use a short piece of 2x4 between the jack and the oil pan. All good stuff.

That's a better solution than mine to protect that very valuable little item. It's only two bolts. Pretty easy insurance. Thanks.

Back