• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1993 K75S ECE - Belly Pan or Engine Spoiler

ghyber

I purchased a belly pan kit for my 93 K75S European model and the installation is giving me some headaches.

I believe I am missing some bolts and body nuts. Specifically, I seem to be missing two body nuts that are supposed to attach to the front bracket. Without these body nuts, I can't figure how to hold the two Allen M6X30mm bolts which screw in through the centre of two large rubber grommets under the belly pan.

I looked up the body nut part number and most part depict it as #22 on the schematic but do not list it as available. :confused:

The second conundrum of the belly pan puzzle is the top bracket attachment. That's the bracket close to the radiator. There appears to be two methods of attachment, one use a grommet and another one attaches to the existing fairing.

I will post pictures later this afternoon. If anyone has some pictures available of their setup, that would be wonderful. :thumb

Found it, Got it!

I found the missing M6 body nut despite the fact it is no longer listed for the K75S.

The M6 body nut has multiple uses and lives in many other models including the latest K1600GT.

If you ever need this body nut for your belly pan or for any M6 bolt application, the part number is: 51 12 7 070202.

Here is what the body nut looks like installed on the front bracket.

DSCN9711.jpg

DSCN9714.jpg

Last edited:
Old thread; same issue

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I recently bought a lower engine spoiler for my '86 K75C. I am trying to figure out how it mounts as I try to be sure I get the right parts (some of which are not available new).:scratch Does anyone have a picture or two of theirs that they would be willing to share? I'm particularly interested in a pic of the top front mount (#26 in the diagram, I think). The diagrams in the manual(s) and online parts fiche are not terribly clear how/where these attach.
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 9.56.50 AM.png

I don't have any good pictures (I'm sure that Lee will be here soon with some great ones!), but I did find a video of a gentleman that made his own mounts (assuming you've already scoured eBay and Beemerboneyard). I also did see that there were several engines on eBay with the mounts still attached, I've had good luck sending the seller a PM to see if they'd be willing to sell a piece of their whole engines (most of the time these people don't know what is stock and what is optional).

In my opinion, part #26, which mounts under the radiator and goes into a rubber lined area of the actual spoiler, probably doesn't do much. It maybe stabilizes the top of the spoiler, so I'm not sure if it's really needed? The bulk of the weight of the spoiler is held to the bike by part #15.

I don't have any good pictures (I'm sure that Lee will be here soon with some great ones!), but I did find a video of a gentleman that made his own mounts (assuming you've already scoured eBay and Beemerboneyard). I also did see that there were several engines on eBay with the mounts still attached, I've had good luck sending the seller a PM to see if they'd be willing to sell a piece of their whole engines (most of the time these people don't know what is stock and what is optional).

In my opinion, part #26, which mounts under the radiator and goes into a rubber lined area of the actual spoiler, probably doesn't do much. It maybe stabilizes the top of the spoiler, so I'm not sure if it's really needed? The bulk of the weight of the spoiler is held to the bike by part #15.

I have been reaching out to aftermarket sellers and may have a line on a used lower bracket through another member on Motobrick. But, that's a good idea on the EBay engines having it attached- I'll look there if other options don't pan out- thank you!

I did consider fabricating a bracket if I can't find one; if you locate that video, I'd be interested in seeing it.

After several searches (sometimes I can't seem to figure out what Google wants to hear:dunno :rolleyes) I did locate this Chris Harris video that showed the brackets clearly, which helps me better understand how this goes together. I want to be sure I have it figured out before I send it to the painter.

Thanks again! :beer

Part #26 provides a place for #23 and #25 to mount. These parts are the only thing which keep the whole upper half of the spoiler from moving, and without them the top can and will wiggle side to side.

Jim,

Check your dealer for the mounts. They are still listed as available and they are dirt cheap ($5-$10).
The main mounts are #15 and #20. As Greg said, #26 keeps the top of the spoiler from rattleing side to side, but does not hold it on.

I'll try and call our dealer and see if the mounts are in the country.

:dance:dance:dance

Jim,

Check your dealer for the mounts. They are still listed as available and they are dirt cheap ($5-$10).
The main mounts are #15 and #20. As Greg said, #26 keeps the top of the spoiler from rattleing side to side, but does not hold it on.

I'll try and call our dealer and see if the mounts are in the country.

Thanks Lee! I was able to locate all of the brackets except #15 through Engle Motors (along with some other things I needed), although they had to order them so I don't have them in hand yet but should get them this week.

#15 appears to be NLA from the manufacturer. I located an old-stock item that matched the BMW part number at another dealer, but it turned out to be the wrong bracket (not sure what it fits). That's what caused me to reach out here to be sure I understand what all of the parts are and where they go. The parts diagram isn't clear on the fitting aspect and my Google searches weren't very fruitful.

Good news though- I think I have located a used bracket #15 through a fellow member on Motobrick.

Part #26 provides a place for #23 and #25 to mount. These parts are the only thing which keep the whole upper half of the spoiler from moving, and without them the top can and will wiggle side to side.

Ah- I see, thanks Greg! I'll definitely want those then to keep the paint from scratching and/or fiberglass from cracking from fatigue. I was hopeful that the "mystery bracket" I mentioned in my response to Lee may fit at the top, but no joy. That's OK though as I should have the correct ones for the top on order.

The last two K75S bikes we owned had their belly pans removed at the first oil change and they were never reinstalled. I gave both of them away to others for the cost of shipping, or a couple of beers.

The last two K75S bikes we owned had their belly pans removed at the first oil change and they were never reinstalled. I gave both of them away to others for the cost of shipping, or a couple of beers.

Well considering that you and Voni's average oil change interval was about once a week (coonsidering the kind of milage you guys put on your bikes), the extra 10 minutes it takes to R&R the belly pans would add up to quite a bit of time savings over the life of the bike.

#15 appears to be NLA from the manufacturer. I located an old-stock item that matched the BMW part number at another dealer, but it turned out to be the wrong bracket (not sure what it fits).

Post a picture of that bracket.

According to our dealer, there are no #15 brackets in the US and none in Germany.

Post a picture of that bracket.

According to our dealer, there are no #15 brackets in the US and none in Germany.

Hi Lee,
Here you go (pics below). No idea what this bracket fits or what to do with it (decorative sculpture maybe?). You might recognize it though- I'd be curious what it fits if you do. It must have been mislabelled at some point along the way- oh well, no worries.

I was able to purchase a good condition used bracket (#15) today, so I think I should have all of the correct stuff on the way. Once I get it all installed, I'll post pics of the brackets and installation to this thread for reference. Thank you to everyone for the insight!

Wrong bracket 1.jpg
Wrong bracket 2 copy.jpg

I found that bracket in my pile of parts, the left engine mount tab has been broken and epoxied back on so I don’t know how reliable it is but I will send it to you if you want it. I will take a picture when it gets light enough to see this morning.

I found that bracket in my pile of parts, the left engine mount tab has been broken and epoxied back on so I don’t know how reliable it is but I will send it to you if you want it. I will take a picture when it gets light enough to see this morning.
I appreciate that, but I have a good one on the way. A former MOA/current Motobrick member had one in his stash and is sending it to me. One of the best benefits of these clubs is the willingness of members to help each other out, so I appreciate your offer!
:beer

Back