Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 90 degree Valve stems

HOTTECH

90 degree Valve stems

Put on a new set of tires and replaced my rubber valve stems with a set of metal 90 degree chrome vlave stems from nomar tire company. Nice looking and much easier to check tire pressure on my R1150R but now I can feel the uneven clippity clump of the rotating wheel at low speeds. The tires were balanced and it is alot less noticeable at higher speeds but I did not feel that sensation with my old rubber straight up valve stems. Am I just being ultra sensitive to my new set of tires or has anyone else out there had the same experience?

From all you've said it doesn't sound like out of balance.
    What do you mean by "low speeds" exactly.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

HOTTECH

90 degree valve stem

Low speed to me means less than 50 mph. Smooths out or I am less aware of it at 60 or higher mph.

I've used 90 dedree aluminum valves for many of my 2-wheel vehicles.. proper tire balance should solve your uneven feeling... maybe it's just in your head.

tires

The tires were balanced for weight. You need to put the bike on the centerstand and rotate the tires checking for a high spot on the rubber. Another term is out of round.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I've tried to use 90 degree aluminum stems on my 1100RT. Two types: one from a fellow who unfortunately passed away and another set from Kurvy Girl. Niether of them fit properly and leaked. The aluminum stem is just a tiny bit too large for the 1100RT rims and you cannot get a proper seal.

I sure wish they had worked though because it really is a pain trying to get a seal on your pressure tester and air chuck especially on the front two disc wheel! And with all your gear on it gets annoying pretty quick.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

HOTTECH

90 degree valve stem

I do believe that the tire maybe out of round. Is this a problem that will work itself out in time or is the tire defective and needs to be replaced? I bought it last year from Dennis Kirk and stored it flat under my bed.

I say defective.
    You have to replace it.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

warredon
    I had an out of round Avon Storm front tire several years ago. Mine seemed to get worse as the tire wore.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Be sure to closely check the line around the bead. While certainly I have had defective out of round (lateral as well as up and down) it is possible that the tire is not fully beaded out, or even that your wheel is not quite round anymore....
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >138,000 miles -- Black, 01/10/2000 to present
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/

HOTTECH

90 degree valve stem

Tire was well seated when installed, hear two very load pops after inflation. I am pretty sure my alloy wheel is true, had no problems with previous tires. I googled Avon and they do have a warranty for out of round tires so I will be calling them on monday.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottech View Post
    Tire was well seated when installed, hear two very load pops after inflation. I am pretty sure my alloy wheel is true, had no problems with previous tires. I googled Avon and they do have a warranty for out of round tires so I will be calling them on monday.
    1. Its not your valve stems causing this issue. Does your tire hold air? Kind of obvious but if yes, then tire valves are functioning properly.

2. I'd check to establish that your tire is in fact out of round before calling Avon. Its very simple to check both the wheel and the tire. Eliminate the variables, then take corrective action.

HOTTECH

Tire out of round

What is the best technique for checking if the tire is out of round?

I had a Avon on the front of my 04 RT last summer that I swore was out of round. Turned out it wasn't seated properly even though I also heard the loud pops that said it was. We broke the tire down again and even with liberal amounts of lube it still took 70 pounds of air pressure to get that puppy to seat properly. Tire seated, backed it off to 40 pounds and no problems since.

Fyi

the 90 degree stems don't work on the RT wheels, because of the bead that runs through the middle of the rim.
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......