• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

luggage platform on R1150-RTP for Sedina

LuckyGrownup

I have 1 50L waterproof bag that holds my sleeping bag, my tent, and my bed roll. I want to attach it on the rear of my bike. How should I do this ?

Can anyone provide me advice. The bike is a R1150RTP police bike with the rear crash bars. The rear end has 3" x 4" square that is flat between the crash bars and the lights. This square has a 1 inch hole in for a police whip antenna. So, I was thinking of drilling a hole in either a wooden or plastic cutting board and mounting it here. Besides looking stupid, is there a better way to haul gear safely on the rear ?

Weird. I've been looking for a way to carry a larger item between the three small containers (bags/radio box) on my 04 RTP. I was just looking at a Jesse topcase wondering if it could be mounted on that plate. It's just begging for a larger case to go there in place of the radio box. Or I may go purist and try running without citycases and wearing a backpack. Just for a change. Subscribed.

That's wild. My crash bars are not shaped like that. Nothing but verical behind the radio box. Still looking for a set of front crash bars, on a side note.

Here are some photos of my RTP loaded up for moto-camping:

20110625-019.jpg

20100516-004.jpg

20100516-032.jpg

20090927-009.jpg

I use a 1' square piece of "bar mat" to protect the top of my radio box from the bed roll I strap on top. My bed roll is constructed in this way:

I roll out my inflatable sleeping pad. I lay my tent ground sheet on top of the sleeping pad, and then lay the tent body and fly on top of the ground sheet. I then lay my sleeping bag on top of the tent components. I then use the stuff sack containing the tent poles as a "spindle" around which I roll-up my sleeping pad/tent/sleeping bag into what gets placed on top of the radio box. I use "Rok Straps" to attach everything to the crash bars.

I cannot open the radio box while the bed roll is on top, but I can still access the side cases. I have the large case lids that I use while traveling/camping, and the "city" lids I use when commuting. The extra space provided by the large lids is mandatory. Not having to store a sleeping bag and a tent in the side cases frees up lots of room for other things, like beer.

20110625-012.jpg

If I had those massive case lids instead of city cases, it'd be great. What sort of tank bag is that, and do you like it? It's a bit large for my tastes, but I'm considering one. Every time I stop for fuel or need to check messages, I'm unlocking a case or the glovebox. It'd be nice to do all those things without ever getting off the bike. Any recommendations for a small tank bag? Drawbacks? Does it trash the top of the tank?

If I had those massive case lids instead of city cases, it'd be great. What sort of tank bag is that, and do you like it? It's a bit large for my tastes, but I'm considering one. Every time I stop for fuel or need to check messages, I'm unlocking a case or the glovebox. It'd be nice to do all those things without ever getting off the bike. Any recommendations for a small tank bag? Drawbacks? Does it trash the top of the tank?

I'd track down a pair of the fat case lids if I were you. They double the volume of the side cases over the city lids. I drilled out the rivets and replaced them with nuts, bolts and lock washers, so I can swap out lids in about 10 minutes if I'm going for an overnight trip.

My tank bag was made by Big Mak Access out of Jefferson County, Oregon. Mark doesn't make and sell tank bags anymore, so I guess mine is now a collector's edition. The tank bag sits on a hinged "platen" that is screwed to the fuel filler cap assembly, so no part of the bag touches the paint. When it's time to gas up, the entire bag and platen assembly swings up and forward to permit access to the fuel cap.

Yes, the bag is huge, and when I've got the top section with the clear lid attached to the main bag, my warning lights, turn signal indicator lights, low fuel light, etc. are obscured. I find I don't mind this as much as I thought I would. It turns out I don't use my turn signals that much when I'm out riding cross-country.

I keep a hydration bladder in the main part of the bag. The hose with the bite valve sneaks out through the zippered opening, and whenever I'm thirsty, I can run the hose under the chin bar and have a drink. I've "electrified" the top portion of the bag, and my cell phone, iPod and GPS all plug into a 12v "powerstrip" I keep in the bag along with paper maps, camping reservations, ferry tickets, etc.

While Mark isn't making "Big Mak" bags anymore, there are lots out there that are similar in design and size.

Back