• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Right side rough running at cold '75 R90/6

zenduddhist

Hi Folks,

I am getting an R90 up and running. When I get the back started, the right side kind of coughs and sputters until she is finally warmed up. It may take 5 minutes or so of idling and easy riding but finally, when it's ready, she runs pretty good without any of the sputtering. Can anyone give me some direction on where to start the troubleshooting?

Thanks much,

Chris McCarthy

Are the chokes on both sides operating the same, ie "in sync"? Sounds like the right side might be trying to run cold in a lean condition.

Check the orifice in the fuel bowl where the choke system gets its fuel. This could be stoppedup. Had this happen to me on my R90.

Don

Where to get parts?

Well, I checked the orifices in the choke pick up and everything looks clean. However, one of the screws that holds the butterfly to the throttle arm is stripped. Where is the best place to get parts for the Bing 64 carb?

Thanks for your help everyone.

I wonder that you might check the carburetor to head rubber tube and it's clamp points. Not too pricy to change & should be done every few years. Perhaps as the machine heats up the rubber swells & seals?

You can test with WD40 spraying it & checking to see change in idle speed etc.

Of course if you changed them yesterday please disregard.

You can get the carb parts direct from BMW as well as Bing. For example, take a look at the Max BMW "fiche". They have complete rebuild kits with all the gaskets and you can add floats, and diaphrams, if you want to.

They also have individual parts, like your butterfly holder with the strippped threads ($10) and the screws that hold the butterfly.

Depending on your level of interest and how long it has been since the carb was apart, you might consider the needle, the float needle, and the four screws that hold the top on as good candidates for replacement while you have everything apart.

Barron

Back