• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ANY Ya'll making MO.Trek this year?

Polarbear

Polarbear
Misourri Rally is coming quickly, any takers? I only have a two week window for this one and leave the Saturday before rally, giving 5 days into SedaliaMO. and easily done. Depart Sunday for coming West. GSA1200 and an active GSGiant. I always leave the YosemiteNP Tioga Pass exit from my ClovisCA home. Early AM through there is always very nice and no traffic, even in July:). Early is the key! Camper here, with open motel options in bad weather. Ya'll welcome to meet at my home, overnight and depart with me just at sunrise or earlier:), to beat YNP tourists. Night one is usually in Eastern NV., say ELY,NV or Caliente,NV. at about 500+m out of here. Nice camping at Ely @ KOA, many times over for me. Motels a plenty too. Anyhow, come along, lets party on a road trip:). Randy:usa:dance:thumb

Randy, we are not making the MO rally, but are headed to the RA one in CO. Your route over to Ely, just doesn't sound very interesting, but just having driven the route down & out to Flagstaff, I can't see riding that way either!

I kind of wanted to see 4 corners, so was plannign south, even thinking of heading through the park like you do, then going S on 395. Now I am re-thinking it...

Yeah, I know there is a lot of nothing between CA & CO... Was hoping to bomb it over & then have a great riding day on day 2 & 3.

Return plan was 70/15 back (2 day bomber run)

I know you've ridden this stuff way more than I have, any thoughts?

Yep;

HI Tracy, same here, looking froward to seeing ya'll GSGiants again:). My Atwater friend; I've done so much of it, it does make it(the ride) a challenge to keep it interesting. I just got back from CorpusC.,TX, a road burner IB kind of trip. I do love my depart route however through YNP, as its hard to beat vs. all the slab routes:). Road trips are what you make'em I say so I always look for something new to do and see, even in no mans land Nevada. My GSA helps a lot, because the dirt options are HUGE in Nevada. Utah and Colorado are cream of the crop states:). The YNP and Hwy120 East to Hwy6 at Benton Hot SpringsCA is a NICE road out after the park. I frequent the BHSprings coming back as a favorite camping spot(last night on the road) with hot tubs in the camping sites:). After TonapahNV, you have two options for Utah and they are to ELY(for N.destinations UTAH and Interstate70 hookup) or CalienteNV (towards Cedar City,Zion,Bryce and so on in S.UTAH), both good stopovernight towns. The latter, a famed railroad depot town and ELY a gamblers/mining town. Both are entertaining. Take the famous Hwy12 across Utah, if you've never been there/done that, from Bryce CanyonNP is the begining of Hwy12. You'll LOVE that suggestion:). At BoulderUTAH, Hwy12 you can cut off for the famed BURR TRAIL(GS's ONLY) head to Bullfrog and Lake Powell, ferry across and move on towards Colorado and CortezCO.,etc...Very NICE stuff I'm suggesting. Good luck to ya. So much more,but! Randy PS; BOTH Nevada towns above offer camping if you desire:). I've done both within the year past. Very reasonable$...

Dead WEST:(

This section of Forum seems almost a DEAD ZONE, sad to say. Been here years myself and less than exciting performance from my fellow Western riders @ MOA. Whats up with that? Really thanks to the FEW that are here:) on occasion. Ya'll gotta ride MORE off the West Coast, time to time or maybe join in here too:thumbRandy

Hey Randy,

Love the HWY 12 suggestion, making that happen. If we stay in Caliente, where would you recommend to camp? I did some preliminary checking & saw a few places, but out of town.

Also, this is our first time "road camping", so is it normal to just find a nice place off the road to set up a small camp, or go into a campground? I know every area is different, but so far, my experience has been to go to KOA... This will be an adventure for sure!

Oh yeah, also, how early do you normally try to get through the park? Last time, we left too late. I'm thinking leaving Merced by 6AM would get us in & through. I don't think snow will be an issue in June this year!

Caliente looks like a neat town, looking forward to this trip for sure.

John.

Here ya go;

CalienteNV and my wife and I camped there just last year. JUST as you enter town, coming from West, you will see a private RV/Campground on the left side of road and sorry I cannot remember the name of the sight, but it was good grass camping and good showers. A young family runs it. A State Park exists there nearby also, but no knowledge and another City Park, PinocheNV past Caliente a 30 minute ride has free camping, but another unknown! We stayed at the one above, good nights rest at the private camp first mentioned.:). YNP and I are happy riders, as long as we get through there as you say, EARLY is best, no traffic:). Before 8AM at entrance gets you through most every time, no issues at all and we arrive at Mono lake/Lee Vining around 10AM and its smooth sailing from there indeed. The above runs about 500+ miles from us here in valley, a good first day:). I ride further many days, but almost always my 1st day out of home is around 500+ and Caliente knocks out almost ALL of Nevada, day one. This puts you in line for 4 corners and so on. From CalienteNV, I especially like the ride to ST.George via Enterprise,Utah and into ZionNP and BryceNPs and this gives you Hwy12Utah, a very "famed biker road" to Capitol ReefNP and onwards towards Lake Powell and 4 corner areas. Another option is go staright to Cedar CityUtah and bypass ZionNP, to BryceNP and Hwy12 destinations. Boy, this is ALL great riding you'll not soon forget. Best to ya and I too, will be out there nearby heading East. GSA1200, White/Red in color all packed big for camping. :thumb:danceRandy

Ps;

That campground in CalienteNV was VERY reasonable at 14$ a night:). Town is within walking distance, or very short ride. A Neat railroad town of much history and it looks the part. A restaurant across the tracks used to serve all meals, but last year we passed it up. Best regards.

Randy, I am leaving the TOTR (Top OF The Rockies) rally in Paonia Co on the 15th and plan highway 50 most of the way to Sedalia.
Should be an easy two and a half days. If the ride does not prove to be interesting there is always I-70. Don' know your route but if you come close let me know and we can hook up. If you come across I-70 I will be only thirty miles south in Paonia CO.

Now who would pass up a chance to ride through eastern Colorado and Kansas in July!

Jack

Hope Ya'll;

Getting your acts together for trek East soon:)? I am about to mount new rear tire soon, as the GSA1200 "Polarbear" is about to be accumulating many miles again for points EAST and MO Bigga,MO. Nearing 100000m and only my second BMW in a dozen to achieve this. I seem to have sold all my previous mounts at 90000+, short of the century mark! Not this one:), as I like it more to keep r flying to way past that mark. Ya'll please come along, join the ride East this year. I depart, probably around the 12th or 13th July. YNP Exit:), my usual. Camp, you bet. Randy:thumb

Monkey wrench;

My life has turned a tad and this trip seems almost out for me:(. My neck has broken, from a home injury and I am in the middle of all that. Not as bad as it sounds, but still broke and needs a surgeons attention. I am just below the level of riding a bike right now and this trip seems a reach I cannot quite get to. More later, if I get help soon. Randy:thumb

My life has turned a tad and this trip seems almost out for me:(. My neck has broken, from a home injury and I am in the middle of all that. Not as bad as it sounds, but still broke and needs a surgeons attention. I am just below the level of riding a bike right now and this trip seems a reach I cannot quite get to. More later, if I get help soon. Randy:thumb

Holy cow, Randy! What happened?!?

Best wishes for you and please give an update as you learn more!

Pete and Barley

Thanks buddy:)

I'm on a surgeons list for the fuzing of two, maybe three vertabraes in my neck. Just a slight possibility I can get a infusion of, don't know what they call it, in there for a quick fix. Most probable, the fuze the bone is my permanent fix. I did this in bed, sleeping, believe it or not! Wierd. I want so bad to meet all ya in OARK and short some miracle fix, I'm having a hard time riding right now. Times running out. Later, Randy:thumb

Update;

The "Polarbear" still has an optinmist view of riding East in 10 days. My injury has me flustered, but not 100% out as yet. I have ridden hard miles all my life and know the road very well, too well. Maybe a rest along the way would be in order, so I'm thinking TOR Rally, Colorado for just that! Could give me a new energy:). I have my meds, which I would rather not take, but! Clock is ticking, days a pass'in. Randy:thumb

I'm leaving Sunday,July8th:)

Ya'll missing out a Great Rally! I am cripple'd somewhat indeed and never have done this before, riding lesss than 100%. ITS NOT going to keep me down and I leave, hellbent for OARK/Sedalia for what appears to be the greatest of all BMW Rallies so far. I pray I'm fine:). Wish more were coming, hope to see ya there. Happy Trails, RandyGSA1200:thumb:dance

Heading down from Fairbanks, AK. Leaving this coming tuesday. Hoping the heat breaks a little before I get there.

Mike Gray
2000 K1200LTC

Yeah, me too;

Ride well from AK. I'm leaving early enough to take my time and visit Colorado for the TOR Rally. Gives me a break in the middle USA:). It will still be cooler in Colorado, the last of the cool, heading East. They have been cooking in the Midwest, so hopefully we hit it RIGHT ON. Bring that AK "cool"along with ya:). Randy

Back