• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Guy in New Rochelle, New York

stagewex

Hello everyone. Yep, New Rochelle where Dick Van Dyke and his TV family lived (on the "Dick Van Dyke Show"), was home to Eddie Foy and the Seven Little Foy's (vaudeville), Setting for "Ragtime" in the 1900's, and bedroom community to NYC about 20 miles south.

I just bought a 1996 r1100rt that on March 15th I Amtrak'd down to Fredericksburg, Virginia to pick up. But not to drive home, rather since I was sorta heading in that direction anyway (as I explained to my wife) continued south to Daytona Bike Week.
And by the time I got there I was pretty familiar with the RT which even though it is a '96 seems to be so much more technically sophisticated than anything else I own. I now understand what they mean by Sport-Touring. Love the bike.

After Daytona ended I drove a bit further south and visited my Dad and his wife in Vero Beach, Florida but upon turning north for the return trip decided to go it slow. Anything but I-95!!!!! Traveled secondary roads through rural Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia before heading diagonally home via I-78. Put together most of this trip via older posts on this web-site. Cool. Picked up the bike with 68447 miles and got home a week later with 71135 miles. Pretty good shake-down run of 2688 miles for me. Have hardly ridden in the last 2 weeks due to work but off today and going to do an oil change and first attempt at valve clearance using this giant Clymer Shop book that came with the bike. Only thing that it will take me time to get used to is the weird (to me anyway) handle-bar switch-gear. I keep accidentally beeping my horn at people when I think I'm canceling the left turn-signal. Different than all the other bikes and will take time for an old-timer like me to get used to.

Mike -

Welcome. I remember the Dick Van Dyke show but when I see the name Rochelle, I think of the Seinfeld movie "Rochelle, Rochelle." But that's different!

Sounds like you had a great trip and introduction to the bike. Brave of you to take off on that type of trip, but having confidence in the machine is the first step.

As far as the turn signals, just don't use 'em! That'll take care of that problem! :laugh

Hi to new Guy in New Rochelle

Hi,

I saw your post and thought that if you ever want to ride in Dutchess Co. let me know. We've got some nice rides here and in Eastern CT.

Kevin

Hello, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got a great ride and definitely got to ring it out on your big ride. Can you ride to work? I try to ride to work as much as possible... makes those Monday mornings a little bit easier to deal with.

Hello Kevin & Craig. I did just commute into Manhattan for the first time last week. I'm lucky that I can park inside where I work. And I love riding up into CT. I'm about 8 miles south of Greenwich.

There are a couple organized rides I'm planning on, Celtic Motorcycle Club (out of Yonkers) Spring Poker Run on 4/29 and Ramapo Spring Run on I believe May 22. If you are interested in either of them each has a pretty good web-site and information on the rides. We could plan to meet at registration.

I do try to just get in the saddle and head north whenever I can. Whether just an hour or serious time.

mike w.

Stage, being able to park off street in the city is GREAT!!!

welcome to the club, i'm a little north of you in northern Westchester Co. NY, right below Peekskill. if your ever headed up my way drop me a line, maybe we can get together for a ride.

George

Back