• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moto passion from Pensacola and the Far East

huskydriver

Huskydriver
Hello all.

Joined in to the MOA (different than the flying type) to get input and tech advice for whichever beemer I get. I have a '71 Laverda 750SF that I have owned since '79, and am in the middle of a "complete" restoration. My other love was my '76 Daytona Orange R90S that I sold when my son was born. I have acouple of BMW 325iC's (you always need a spare) that fill the need for more sun on my head, an '87 and a '90. To support these habits I work :eat a different shift than most, 91 days on (12 hours a day), 42 days off (need 41 to recover from the 91), and it's in a place so far east that it takes me 24 hours to fly home! I have worked on, and flown, planes for the last 30+ years, love the airshow circuit, and anything to do with whats left of NASA.

I posted an add in the wanted section for a late model R11** series. I am planning the first ride from Pensacola to BC Canada, southern California, and back home so the bike needs to be ready to make long hauls.

Cheers :beer

Clay

Ambitious "first ride" plans

Welcome, Clay. That planned "first ride" will be a doozy!

In 1997, I did a similar length ride on a '96 R1100RT. It was a "border-to-border" ride with some other guys. I lived just north of Indianapolis at the time. I rode from there to San Luis, AZ on the Mexican border alone, then joined up with the rest of the crew. We rode up through California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington and into BC. Then we all parted ways and I rode home alone from there, across Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, S. Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, and back home in Indiana. 6750 miles in 12 days. It was the best trip I've ever taken and the RT performed flawlessly. That was before Montana had a posted speed limit on Interstate 90. I only got passed twice in Montana, both times by the same Acura. I figure he got off to get gas and then passed me the second time.

I hope you get your bike and get to take your trip. You'll love it.

Last edited:
Welcome

Welcome to the Forum. Your job sounds interesting and tiring. Enjoy your up coming trip.

I sailed and lived aboard a catamaran in the 80's....spent about 3 months anchored in a little cove over in Destin Florida. It was so shallow that keel boats couldn't get in there, so I had it all to myself. I ate a lot of fried soft shell crab and drank a lot of beer in Pensacola, lots of fond memories.

Enjoy, and remember Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory.

Riding high

I bought my Laverda when I was stationed in Naples Italy, and after a week of the shop getting her ready I told my supervisor I was headed to France. All he said was don't be late for work. Made it close to Genoa before I had an issue that I turned back for, found out in Pisa the shielded cap shorted and killed the #2 side. After that it was time to crate her and send her home. Picked her up in Norfolk VA after a lengthy session with Customs (and posting bond money) I made it to Seattle in 5 days. Never do that again. This ride (I hope) will be a 2-3 week ride for the fun of it after being here in what can only be labeled as hells front door.

3 dead stick landings, 1 in a rental 152 (carb came apart), 2nd a customers 182 (intake couplings came loose), and the 3rd (and dumbest) was a 182 flying jumpers that landed me in a bean field due to the lack of fuel venting. Hopefully done with that part of my flying life.

So my search for a BMW continues, hopefully the forum and flea market will get me a few more options. Got to get it done pretty quick though, heading home in a week :dance:dance:dance

Well its time to head to work, ya'll be safe out there. And from the phrase that Capital Cycels used "Ride scared, it's a good way to stay alive".

Clay

You can also try looking on marketplace.ibmwr.org for their listing of used BMW bikes for sale. Good Luck hunting for that bike and have a great trip!

Mike H
76 R90/6, Candied Red Metallic, 120k
93 R100R Legend, Pearl, 40k

Back