• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Calling it quits

Nothing beats a BMW boxer twin.

In 1985 I took a test ride on the then-new K100RS and have not considered owning a BMW K for a nanosecond since.

To each their own. I loved my old /6, but my K75 Standard is a great bike. Would not go back. Owning one of each is a different question, though.

Just traded my 2008 K1200GT with 32,000 miles on a new R 1200RT. Just put 1500 miles on the new bike. I like the nimbleness of the RT but the K bike was exciting on the open road but a handful in town Always hated the shifting of the K bike. The new bike seems to be a better all around bike. There was just something exciting about the K bike on the open road but never really trusted it for some reason.

I currently own a 2009 GSA and love it but want a water head in the next year or two. In the meantime, I can't help myself---I'm buying a used 2012 K1600GT with only 700 miles. Just before the GSA, I had a 2007 K1200GT that was a wonderful, powerful, sophisticated machine but just didn't LOVE it---primarily due to the riding position. It wasn't bad, just not optimum for me.

The 16GT is a beast, with a better riding position than the 12GT and the 6 cylinder engine is something special. Can't wait to get it in the next few days! The GSA is going up for sale.

I have an 08 R1200RT. I get to take both a GT and a GTL for a test drive on May 7th.

I'm looking forward to it. This will give me a chance to see how I like the bikes. They sound so great (from what everyone says and listening to them run when I stand beside them).

I'll let you know whether the bike fits me. Not that that really means anything to anyone except me. But I'll share.

Good luck with your test rides. I took a GTL out for the first time last June just expecting to fall in love with it after all the hype but, sadly, came back to the dealer less than enamored. Kept reading the forums and decided to take it out again with a better feel this time. Well, third time was the charm and I absolutely love my silver GTL. My problem was having owned Hondas and Yamahas for 30 years and expecting the same type of bike. Once I settled in to what this bike was about and how it differed, I have grown to love it for all it offers. Sometimes love is slow in coming but worth in when you find the right one;)

Good luck with your test rides. I took a GTL out for the first time last June just expecting to fall in love with it after all the hype but, sadly, came back to the dealer less than enamored. Kept reading the forums and decided to take it out again with a better feel this time. Well, third time was the charm and I absolutely love my silver GTL. My problem was having owned Hondas and Yamahas for 30 years and expecting the same type of bike. Once I settled in to what this bike was about and how it differed, I have grown to love it for all it offers. Sometimes love is slow in coming but worth in when you find the right one;)

The K1600 was the bike that took me the longest to get used to. I hated the electronic throttle and kept stalling the bike when taking off from traffic lights. I still have a hard time pushing it around and the ESA requires you to find the best setting. Trying to master all the electronic features handled by the selector wheel will drive you insane. You simply cannot make an educated decision just by taking it for a test ride once. You may hate it. After riding it for a couple of thousand miles, you will love it.

Back