• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another Newbie

KPMCD

Looking to get back on a bike after a five year absence. I test rode a F650GS yesterday and thought it was great. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs. I keep reading where this bike is great for shorter types. I thought the seat height (normal; not short seat position) was pretty good. Any taller guys out there who ride this bike with any thoughts? Thanks!!
KPM in Nashville

Looking to get back on a bike after a five year absence. I test rode a F650GS yesterday and thought it was great. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs. I keep reading where this bike is great for shorter types. I thought the seat height (normal; not short seat position) was pretty good. Any taller guys out there who ride this bike with any thoughts? Thanks!!
KPM in Nashville

What do you mean normal.. not short seat position?

Was it the Thumper F650 or Twin F650 you test rode?

I have a friend who rode his 650 thumper through 23 all 23 countries in North and South America over a 3 year tour. He didn't have any problem with the seat eight that I'm aware of.

Yeah, sorry. By normal I meant it was NOT a short seat height. Also, it was a twin. I realized after I posted comment I got it in the wrong category. I told you I was a rookie. Thnx.

Yeah, sorry. By normal I meant it was NOT a short seat height. Also, it was a twin. I realized after I posted comment I got it in the wrong category. I told you I was a rookie. Thnx.

That's fine.... if you are interested in more information www.f650.com has wealth of information on the thumpers. On the twins, may want to check out F800 forum. http://f800riders.org/forum/forum.php I think all bikes if looking at new come with the low seat unless have it changed out. Both bikes are very good bikes. I really enjoyed my thumper and am enjoying my twin... the twin is a nice step up from the thumper and am glad I made the purchase. I'm vertically challenged so can't answer which is better for one who is taller... may want to look at F800's or if you are wanting a Thumper either the Dakar or Sertao.

I've got a 2001 Dakar. These models came with a slightly thicker seat than the "regular" GS so if you are feeling a bit bent you might look at that as one option. TouraTech makes a set of adjustable footpegs for this bike too, they are a lot bigger than the stock pegs, I like them because they are more comfortable when standing and lower.

I've got an '06 650GS and rode it 635 miles in one day a week ago - from Roanoke, VA to Massachusetts. I'm 6'2" and suffered no ill consequences. I would like to know which Touratech pegs allow extra movement. The ones I see have four heights but they also seem to move the feet forward instead of back. I would think we'd want it the other way, no?

Curt

Twin & Thumper here...

I am 5'11" and have a 2012 F650GS Twin. My son is 6'3" and has a 2007 F650GS Thumper. His first ride on his F650GS was over five hours and ~220 miles. He had no problems and no complaints. My bike is slightly taller and fits him as well. Both bikes are great, and have different personalities. I would recommend either, but pick the one which is right for you! Good luck and have fun! :thumb

Back