• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Endurolast Charging - Test Results

brittrunyon

'92 R100GS
I have just finished installing the EnDuraLast Charging Alternator upgrade into my '92 R100 GS.
What I'm wondering is, are my results typical of the output of the system? :scratch

1000 rpm I get 13.2
2000 rpm I get 13.9
3000 rpm I get 14.0

Snobum's http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/AftrMrktAlt.htm results weren't any better than mine.

The instructions stated about testing the system:

"Watch for 14.2 volts at the battery over a range of engine speeds and electrical loads. Stable 14.2 volts should be maintained with all electrical loads turned on at once."

It also states:

"If the voltage is showing intermittent of unstable voltage production the problem is with the soldering process or connection. Resolder or use a suitable connector for an improved connection."

Anyone getting the 14.2 as proclaimed?
Which connection is suspect?

Has anyone experienced this with their install?

I will be calling Euro Motoelectrics tomorrow.

Ducati charging trouble

With the caveats at this Ducati owners site the the Enduralast system can be reliable. The sources of trouble are yellow wire connections and regulators. Note that the alternator is 350 watts, not 450. Its advantage is its low rpm output. I get 14.5 -14.7 volts at 2000 rpm. I suggest a regulator that connects directly to the battery with red and green wires, Electrosport ESR510, Electrex 51 451, or Euromotorelectics EDLGUZ-VoltRect.

Attachments

• burned wires.jpg
    burned wires.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Enduralast system

It also states:

"If the voltage is showing intermittent of unstable voltage production the problem is with the soldering process or connection. Resolder or use a suitable connector for an improved connection."

Anyone getting the 14.2 as proclaimed?
Which connection is suspect?

Has anyone experienced this with their install?

Just replaced a defective regulator on my Enduralast system. Best the old regulator would do is 13.9 VDC at ANY rpm.

Major difference in the output with the new regulator.

During the troubleshooting process, I doublechecked ALL my connections. On the initial install (2006), instead of using the posi-locks with the kit, I used crimp connectors (to make a solid mechanical connection) then soldered all the connections.

My output with the new regulator is 14.9 VDC (at the battery) at RPM's above 2500. The voltage output should drop slightly as the battery comes up to full charge.

Double check ALL your connections, in my opinion most of the problems with the Enduralast system is making solid connections between the wires. Personally I do NOT like Posi-lock connectors (that should generate some flak ;) )! Again, make sure all your connections are solid and well protected from the elements.

Just one opinion. :whistle

Installed mine 2008, soldered all connections.

With a fully charged AGM battery, 14.4 V above 2000 rpm, measured with a Fluke directly off the battery terminals.

I mounted the reg/rect near the battery; ie longer yellow wires, short red ones.

Back