• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Inflator Question

stagewex

I'm new enough to this forum that I have not yet had the time to fill out my profile yet but do have a question. I had asked my family to get me a CyclePump tire inflator for my birthday and on their web-site it states:

"Got a BMW with a CANbus electrical system? The BMW accessory ports won't provide enough amperage to run the CyclePump (or any other inflator)"

They do provide alligator clips or a direct connection that will work just fine.

I am somewhat new (3 weeks) to BMW motorcycles having just purchased a 1996 r1100rt and riding the crap out of it in 1 week (Va-Daytona- NY/2800 miles).

Question 1: does my bike have a CANbus electrical system or is that something on the newer bikes?

Question 2: why the amperage limitation on CANbus if it can't run a simple inflator? Is it the same with heated gear (I have coax gerbings directly to the battery anyway).

I'm going to get the pump anyway for my other bikes. Nice product.

Thanks,

mike wex

No your bike is pre CANbus which actually has nothing to do with the subject anyway. What it means is that newer bike have a central computer abbreviated ZFE that serves the fuse function- these bike has no automatic breakers or std fuses. That computer limits the factory outlet plugs to 5A on early models which will not run a pump or 10A on newer models which usually will. But most add an outlet that goes direct to battery to these bikes because the 5A ones won't run heated jackets either

Anyway, not related to your 96.....

Hmm,...my 94 RS easily runs a heated jacket liner, about 70 watts (5.83 amp)0, and my heated riding pants, about 55 watts (4.58 amps), at the same time while the bike is running. I have run both together on the bike riding for hours with no issues. But knowing the total amerage gets me thinking I might check into the wiring on my bike as it is 18 years old.

I seriously doubt a 12v tire pump or air mattress pump draw as much as 125 watts 10.4 amps. Even so, check the wattage or amerage rating on the pump and see if it exceeds the power rating of the outlet. Still, if your bike won't power that pump, I wonder if you have other issues, bad/corroded connections, bad ground, weak battery.

CANBUS is only a factor as to the max rated output of the outlet. The CANBUS computer knows the max draw available to the power outlet and may shut it down if the draw exceeds the rated output.

CANBUS is also only on 2005 and later BMWs, not on your 96 RT. Your 96 RT has the same electrical setup as my 94 RS.

I have a heavy gauge 15amp SAE connector wired to my battery and it handles air pumps . They're not expensive and very convenient to use. You can get them with whatever electrical connector you need.

So Easy;

Just bypass the Canbus at the acces.outlets, to battery with fuse added! Most have done this. Good luck, Randy:usa

Thanks all. Completely answers my question. As stated I have heated gear pig-tail directly to battery and it looks like my year and model does not have Canbus so no limitation on the factory accessory outlets for an inflator. If they did I would hook-up directly to battery as suggested. Nice that CyclePump mentions this in their ad. Surprised they don't suggest the alternative hook-up suggested here.

Again, Thanks

mike wex
'96 r1100rt

So this means my 04 GS doesn't have CANBUS either? if so, WOOT. If not, shoot.

The easiest way to tell: check your owner's manual. If it has information about fuses, your bike does not have a CANbus system. CANbus equipped bikes do not have fuses.

Back