• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bigger Side Cases - R1150RT

Bill Lumberg
I have an 04 R1150RTA (police model), a most excellent bike. The city cases are a bit on the small side. They accommodate a fair amount of soft gear, but are so shallow that only fairly small items can be carried. What are my options for larger cases? OEM only, aftermarket?

I have 2 spare System case lids which you are welcome to for the cost of shipping and handling. They are in "good" condition.

I'm first going to offer them to my local club mates next Tuesday and if there are no takers, you can have 'em.

Let me know. Thanks.
I have 2 spare System case lids which you are welcome to for the cost of shipping and handling. They are in "good" condition.

I'm first going to offer them to my local club mates next Tuesday and if there are no takers, you can have 'em.

Do your cases bases have the dividers installed? If so, removing them makes a ton of difference. I also had the Touring Lids. They certainly are big and will carry lots of stuff. Two things to consider - You really have to be careful when opening these rascals. The snap/strap arrangement is not very sturdy and if the lid is opened while the lids are loaded, it can break where the snap attaches if you are not very careful. So, I would recommend getting the luggage liners for use with them. I got mine at The other thing I did not like was the look. The Touring Lids are really wide and stick way out making a very clean-lined bike look very ugly. I got rid of mine and just piled/strapped the extra gear onto the cases. Plus, it is amazing how much stuff you can put in the radio box. YMMV

I also had the Touring Lids. They certainly are big and will carry lots of stuff. Two things to consider - You really have to be careful when opening these rascals. The snap/strap arrangement is not very sturdy and if the lid is opened while the lids are loaded, it can break where the snap attaches if you are not very careful.YMMV

Heck, one of mine broke when I opened it empty and it broke off the plastic where the snap attaches. Pleased with the increased packing space :thumb but very disappointed with the poor snap/plastic design. :banghead

If I was storing t-shirts or ballcaps, I could stow 100 of them. I'd just like a case large enough to stow a small backpack or helmet bag without having to purge it of contents first.

Back