• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schuberth C3 helmets

I've now put over 7000 miles on my C3 in the last 7 weeks. Best made and functioning helmet I've ever owned.

Schuberth

I have had at least 3 C2's and now a C3 that is being replaced after I was knocked off by an errant cab driver making an illegal U-turn. The helmet didn't hit too hard but it did get a lot of gasoline on it.

I have an oblong, oval-shaped head that is real thin ear-to-ear. That leaves lots of space for roaring wind noises and that ugly hot-spot on the forehead. I did a lot of the named tricks and wore it for quite a while before I eventually took a ballpeen hammer to it [a rounded end small hammer]. I just kept relieving the forehead liner [the harder stuff] until it fits. I have a feeling that if that bit of relieved material ever matters in a crash then I am probably a goner anyway. The helmet is now comfortable for all day rides and I completed the MERA 10 n' 10 wearing it for up to 22hrs per day.

I use all kinds of ear plugs that help keep me sane. Howard Leight for now. :)

Schuberth

Loving my C3, rode 1072 miles yesterday on my first Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 and took it off twice. Nice and quiet, the Bluetooth collar works great.

glad I came across this thread before I ditched my Arai Vector for one of these.. I REALLY want to upgrade to the Schuberth but I think I will insist on finding a retailer with one and try it on for a while before I buy... with the fear that it will "Break in" and get lose down the road always in the back of my mind!

As an aside, I'm still amazed that their first bike is a 1600... Is it your husband or both of you riding? That's a lot of bike for a lady with little experience.

Love my C3. Have about 3,000 miles on it now. After the initial break in period, no more mild headache. :) Fits great, quiet, and comfortable.

However. The ventilation is not as good as I thought. I don't have a C2, but the spouse says the C2 is much better in that regard. And I'm not really impressed with the way the visor attached to the helmet. The serrated bits of plastic on one side snapped off and I had to spend $103 to replace it. I don't think the force of a 50 mph breeze on a slightly open visor should cause the attach point to break.

It concerns me as we're headed into summer and if I can't ride with the visor up on hot days, I might as well go back to wearing my Caberg.

Maine GSA

I have a new C3 (spring 2012) and had the same forehead issue. I resolved this with a rasp and it is now fine.

The bigger issue to me is that the face shield does not stay where left. I often ride with my shield open (like the wind in my face). When I get above around 35MPH the shield slams shut. I called Schuberth and they indicated that it was intended to ride closed (all the other helmets I have owned including a BMW System II were designed with a better detent on the shield holding it where it was placed), but I could try some fuzzy from a Velcro under the shield to increase pressure. I tried this and it improved, but not enough. I later removed the velcro and installed some O rings on the shield mounting posts - this has resolved the issue, but now the shield movement may be too stiff. Anyway, way to expensive a helmet to have an issue such as this.

....I When I get above around 35MPH the shield slams shut. I called Schuberth and they indicated that it was intended to ride closed

hmm.... frankly for me, that's going to be a non-starter then... I guess maybe I'll just keep my Arai.

hmm.... frankly for me, that's going to be a non-starter then... I guess maybe I'll just keep my Arai.

Not an issue on a bike with a real windscreen.

My visor never self-closes when I'm on my RT with the giant Aeroflow windscreen, and it always self-closes when I'm on the GSA.

Get enough of the air pushed up and over the rider and the C3 visor will stay up all day long.

When I first got my C3, one of the pads pushed down on the top of my forehead, and it felt as if my left ear was being bent down by the padding. 15,000 miles later and these issues are only memories. The helmet fits perfectly. What was a tiny bit too snug for the first couple of hundred miles is now a perfect fit, with no discomfort issues at all.

Two prior helmets were Shoei - the last a Multitec - and the C3 is light years beyond the Multitech. The new Shoei Neotech looks promising, and when it's time to replace the C3 in a few years, I'll investigate the Neotech but I'll certainly be leaning towards another C3.

I have 3 hours in mine. Snug, but no hot spots, installing the Autocom mic was a breeze. The ventilation and quiet is impressive. For me, the extra under chin wind guard was just in the way, removed it, made no difference in noise or airflow.
Me like! :thumb

Not an issue on a bike with a real windscreen.

My visor never self-closes when I'm on my RT with the giant Aeroflow windscreen, and it always self-closes when I'm on the GSA.

Get enough of the air pushed up and over the rider and the C3 visor will stay up all day long.

yeah, not gotta happen on an R1200R... oh well, thanks for the input.

Updated report

I promised to report back..

I now have about 1,000 miles on it. And it's still great. Fit is perfect for me, snug with no hotspots. On my old C2's and the original Concept, I used to get some ear pain after 3-4 hours with my earplugs. None at all on the C3.

Biggest pluses to it I've found so far:

- Weight. Lighter IS better. Lots better. I don't get tired of riding as quickly.. (or at all really..)

- Wind-flow. Seems better then the C1 and C2, when I turn my head for a shoulder check, the helmet doesn't catch the wind at all, and it doesn't continue to turn a bit as the C1 and C2 did (I think windage + fit caused that.)

The dayglow seems to be catching on.. four local club members are sporting it now. It sure makes it easy to see the guy at the back of a line of riders if he's wearing the glowing-orb helmet.

Question for those who are using the Scala/Schuberth comm system.. can you hear it with earplugs in? While the C3 is lots quieter then my C2 or other helmets were, I still prefer to try to save my remaining hearing, so I always wear custom earplugs. Is the comm system usable that way?

I'm riding an R1200R with the helmet in fairly clear air.. I have several Cee-Bailey shields I swap on depending on the weather expected.

For the people expecting it to stay open at speed.. why? The "city" position (when the bottom of the shield isn't snapped into the snap-lock) works great for me unless I come to a complete stop. It's a real non-issue for me. I thought I'd miss the city-position the C1 and C2 had (where the screen popped forward), but I don't at all.

I have a new C3 (spring 2012) and had the same forehead issue. I resolved this with a rasp and it is now fine.

The bigger issue to me is that the face shield does not stay where left. I often ride with my shield open (like the wind in my face). When I get above around 35MPH the shield slams shut. I called Schuberth and they indicated that it was intended to ride closed (all the other helmets I have owned including a BMW System II were designed with a better detent on the shield holding it where it was placed), but I could try some fuzzy from a Velcro under the shield to increase pressure. I tried this and it improved, but not enough. I later removed the velcro and installed some O rings on the shield mounting posts - this has resolved the issue, but now the shield movement may be too stiff. Anyway, way to expensive a helmet to have an issue such as this.

FWIW - I don't see it as an "issue" at all. The helmet's primary design function is to protect you. It doesn't protect you as well with the windscreen open, so Schuberth designed it to close - not to stay open. I think if you like wind in your face (with the accompanying bugs/rain/sand/etc) - you bought the wrong helmet.

I promised to report back..

I now have about 1,000 miles on it. And it's still great. Fit is perfect for me, snug with no hotspots. On my old C2's and the original Concept, I used to get some ear pain after 3-4 hours with my earplugs. None at all on the C3.

Biggest pluses to it I've found so far:

- Weight. Lighter IS better. Lots better. I don't get tired of riding as quickly.. (or at all really..)

- Wind-flow. Seems better then the C1 and C2, when I turn my head for a shoulder check, the helmet doesn't catch the wind at all, and it doesn't continue to turn a bit as the C1 and C2 did (I think windage + fit caused that.)

The dayglow seems to be catching on.. four local club members are sporting it now. It sure makes it easy to see the guy at the back of a line of riders if he's wearing the glowing-orb helmet.

Question for those who are using the Scala/Schuberth comm system.. can you hear it with earplugs in? While the C3 is lots quieter then my C2 or other helmets were, I still prefer to try to save my remaining hearing, so I always wear custom earplugs. Is the comm system usable that way?

I'm riding an R1200R with the helmet in fairly clear air.. I have several Cee-Bailey shields I swap on depending on the weather expected.

For the people expecting it to stay open at speed.. why? The "city" position (when the bottom of the shield isn't snapped into the snap-lock) works great for me unless I come to a complete stop. It's a real non-issue for me. I thought I'd miss the city-position the C1 and C2 had (where the screen popped forward), but I don't at all.

how is the ventilation when it's closed? Do you get airflow in the helmet with all vents open to max?

Earplugs

I have the BMW headset system installed, and I can hear it just fine with the earplugs in. I had to turn the volume up a bit, but that is all. If I wore it withour earplugs, I would no doubt have to turn it back down. On the BMW integrated volume I went from a volume level of 10 to 13 when the earlpugs went in. Please note, however, that I am not listening to music. GPS or intercom only. :thumb

how is the ventilation when it's closed? Do you get airflow in the helmet with all vents open to max?

It's been fine for me. There are two primary vents - chin and top.. there is an exhaust out the back of the helmet, but that isn't adjustable. I can feel the airflow on the two primary vents. The top vent also has a winter/summer position (a flap in the liner inside).. mines in summer mode, but with the amount of airflow the helmet makes, I can see why they have the flap adjustment.

One point that I think some people may be missing.. the helmet has an almost locked closed position.. there is a plastic catch sorta deal on the bottom of the faceshield and the top edge of the chinbar. When it's engaged it pulls the shield into the recess and seals it up quite tightly. Good for rain, or - I've found - over about 70MPH (quiets things down even more.) If you don't engage it (and it takes a concious effort on mine, pushing both faceshield tabs down) the helmet is left cracked open along the bottom edge, about 1/8" - with a smaller gap also around the two sides. At any reasonable speed that allows quite a bit of air into the helmet.

I imagine it wouldn't work that well behind a barn-door shield, but behind the somewhat smallish shield on my R12R it works just fine. I've only gotten up to around 90F on the bike with it so far (ain't NJ weather wonderful?!) so I'll report back when I exceed that. If you are behind a barn-door, I think the first click open position should hold it open just fine.. mine will stay in that position up to around 45 MPH, then it closes by itself to where the catch is keeping it slightly open.

I have the BMW headset system installed, and I can hear it just fine with the earplugs in. I had to turn the volume up a bit, but that is all. If I wore it withour earplugs, I would no doubt have to turn it back down. On the BMW integrated volume I went from a volume level of 10 to 13 when the earlpugs went in. Please note, however, that I am not listening to music. GPS or intercom only. :thumb
Great feedback! I really just want it for the GPS.. I have plenty of songs playing in my head anyway.. plus all the voices in there..

I ride with a Sena system on my C3. I wear ear buds and hear everything very well.

I ride an R1200R with a Parabellum Scout fairing that provides a great deal of protection. I regularly ride at highway speeds with the face shield up a bit, in what Schuberth calls the city position and it stays open just fine. I also ride with the shield fully open and normally have no problem keeping it open. If there is a cross wind the shield will sometimes not remain open as well. The biggest issue I have after putting 10,000 miles on the helmet in the past 2 months is in extended heavy rain. I wear glasses while riding and they tend to fog unless I open the shield to the city position. My fairing and screen set-up seems to cause a slight updraft behind it and that causes some rain to come into the helmet. I use a screen extender on the Parabellum and plan to try removing it in the rain to see if that stops the problem.

I am very happy with the C3. I have several very long days in it and it has remained comfortable throughout them all.

I ride with a Sena system on my C3. I wear ear buds and hear everything very well.
Thanks. I have an earbud setup now.. Etymotics and a bluetoof dongle that lives in my top pocket in the 'stich. Thing is - there are still wires flapping around, even if I'm not wired to the bike. And the wires tend to tug on the earbuds, pulling them loose in the helmet, which causes more noise and usually some pain. IMHO speakers are the way to go, if they can be heard.
I ride an R1200R with a Parabellum Scout fairing that provides a great deal of protection. I regularly ride at highway speeds with the face shield up a bit, in what Schuberth calls the city position and it stays open just fine. I also ride with the shield fully open and normally have no problem keeping it open. If there is a cross wind the shield will sometimes not remain open as well. The biggest issue I have after putting 10,000 miles on the helmet in the past 2 months is in extended heavy rain. I wear glasses while riding and they tend to fog unless I open the shield to the city position. My fairing and screen set-up seems to cause a slight updraft behind it and that causes some rain to come into the helmet. I use a screen extender on the Parabellum and plan to try removing it in the rain to see if that stops the problem.
You might be happier with a much smaller shield. I know I am.. I've had the CalSci on mine, and while it provided lots of protection, it also provided too much isolation from the world for me. And as you noted - fogging eyeglasses can be a problem (not one I have anymore..)
I am very happy with the C3. I have several very long days in it and it has remained comfortable throughout them all.
Good to hear!

One point that I think some people may be missing.. the helmet has an almost locked closed position.. there is a plastic catch sorta deal on the bottom of the faceshield and the top edge of the chinbar. When it's engaged it pulls the shield into the recess and seals it up quite tightly. Good for rain, or - I've found - over about 70MPH (quiets things down even more.) If you don't engage it (and it takes a concious effort on mine, pushing both faceshield tabs down) the helmet is left cracked open along the bottom edge, about 1/8" - with a smaller gap also around the two sides. At any reasonable speed that allows quite a bit of air into the helmet.

Schuberth says the helmet is quiet enough to dispense with earplugs only when the faceshield is in the down and clicked-locked position. When it's anything other than clicked shut, the noise increases - as should be expected.

One thing I'd like to reiterate about the C3: Airflow across the inside of the shield is amazing. The venting combined with the Pinlock insert makes foggy faceshields a not-so-fond memory. The key to keeping the faceshield fog-free is to keep it clean. A faceshield/Pinlock insert covered with road grime and rain/spray residue provides a healthy environment for fog. Those moisture droplets like to stick to anything, and dirt molecules are perfect attachment points for moisture molecules.

Whenever my visor gets a bit of fog on the edges, I know it's time for a Plexus bath for both sides of the integrated sun visor and both sides of the faceshield/Pinlock insert. It is my experience as a Seattle-area rounder that Plexus seems to have some sort of hydrophobic qualities that helps deter the formation of fog - almost like Rain-X.

A bit of advice about the Pinlock insert: It too needs to be kept clean, on both sides. It also needs to be positioned tightly against the faceshield in order to provide the "Thermopane" effect. The white pins that hold the Pinlock in place are off-center, and can be rotated to press the insert tightly against the faceshield.

Real nice thread! Great timing as both my wife and I are contemplating buying new Schuberth C3/C3W helmets!

We don't really need new helmets, but with all the gimmicks on the new K16GT, you are almost obliged to buy one in order to use the BT capabilities to a full extend.

My wife currently prefers a Nolan and I have several different helmets I use, a Schuberth Concept and HJC on the BMWs, AGV on the Ducatis and on the track and HJCs with some of the other bikes.

I like the Concept although it is rather outdated as far as noise and weight.
We tried the C3s on and my wife likes the C3W, except for the tight cheek pads.
Thanks to a very responsive customer service rep at Schuberth NA, we found a solution to this problem, however.

One comment based on 48 years of riding experience and many, many different helmets:
I agree a helmet should fit from the very beginning. But ALL helmets will break in. The padding will adjust - some more some less. That's why a helmet will feel loose after a long time of use. If a helmet fits perfectly when new, it most likely will feel sloppy after six months.
I check my new helmets for fit as follows:
Push your index and middle finger in between your forehead and helmet. You should be able to do that without a really big effort.
Shake your head or move your helmet with your hands. Your scalp/skin should move with your helmet.
Of course, you should not feel any extreme pressure points.

Back