• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brown BMW Side Stand

I mounted a Brown on a 1982 R100RT I purchased last week.

I also have a Brown on my 1973 R75/5 and it seemed to me that the attachment to the left exhaust was causing my headers to loosen at the jugs.

For this reason I added one of the extra /5 clamps to the R100RT installation.

The RT clamp was slid forward and the /5 clamp added at the engine mounting bolt.

I also added a thick flat washer behind the side stand at the engine mounting bolt to give a bit more clearance at the muffler when the stand is up.

Attached is pic.

Attachments

• R100RT Brown.jpg
    R100RT Brown.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
I have an '84 RS which I bought new. Since I'm only 5' 5 1/2" tall, the stock side stand had to be changed immediately. I installed a Brown side stand but when I put BUB exhaust and a ride off stand it wouldn't work.

I've only had a centerstand since then and have to be very careful when I get off the bike. Last year I tried a Farley which works with the BUB but won't fully retract with the ride off stand.

So now I'm going to buy another Brown from Boxerworks and take it to a metal fabricater and see if they can make it work.

But after all these years if the Brown can't be modified I'm pretty good at dismounting with only a centerstand.

Mac, look at my posts #16 and 17. If you do this mod you do not even need the muffler hanger. I only installed it because I wanted to give extra support to the tail pipe/muffler. The bracket I made that goes to the front engine mount bolt provides the support for the stand.

I am one of those that bought a 1981 R100 with the original side stand and got used to it before I knew there were options. I am used to it long since and haven't had the bike fall yet. I deploy and retract it with my foot. I can wipe my butt even though I have never seen it with my naked eye so it is kind of the same way with the sidestand hidden under the left cylinder. I got used to where it is and the motions necessary to wipe, I mean deploy or retract it. I had to replace the pivot bushing in it to restore original operation though. I thought it was neat that BMW still has the bushing available and it was only $10 or so at the time.

I normally only use the sidestand for a moment when I get off the bike. I then get off the bike and put it on the centerstand unless the ground is not in condition to support the bike or wind threatens to topple it off the stand. I am 5' 6" tall.

I can wipe my butt even though I have never seen it with my naked eye so it is kind of the same way with the sidestand hidden under the left cylinder.

Dave -

I can't say as I've heard that before, but that's basically it. :wave I'm a little taller at 6 foot, but I recalling putting the side stand down after the last ride and it was an impulsive move...boom, it was down. Off the bike with no "kling-ons"...man, can't get that visual out of my head! :banghead

Mac, look at my posts #16 and 17. If you do this mod you do not even need the muffler hanger. I only installed it because I wanted to give extra support to the tail pipe/muffler. The bracket I made that goes to the front engine mount bolt provides the support for the stand.

Thanks.

I know I know, this is a brown sidestand thread
but this is farley information that might help the brown folks

the farley mounts to the frame using bmw fairing mounts, so if it works not only are you not making something, but it comes bmw frame black in color adn even has a bmw logo on it
46 63 1 455 461
46 63 1 455 462

I'm In!!!

As I patiently wait for my transmission to return, I find myself doing non essential puttering with the bike. TooOldToCare's mount has been on the back burner for sometime, today was the day. The old exhaust mounted clamp is gone, I am now running with the herd using engine mounts front and rear, a much better design.

Brown stands forever!!!

Attachments

• Brown mount.jpg
    Brown mount.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 164
It was supposed to be black, but I used up all the black paint on the SWMBO's last project.

And putting function over fashion, red was available.

As I patiently wait for my transmission to return, I find myself doing non essential puttering with the bike. TooOldToCare's mount has been on the back burner for sometime, today was the day. The old exhaust mounted clamp is gone, I am now running with the herd using engine mounts front and rear, a much better design.

Brown stands forever!!!

except for color, nice work

Thanks guys. I have a Brown's stand on my 82 R100RS and I love it. Sooo much better than stock.

I'm searching (google) for a contact for the Farley stand but so far no luck. There is info and photos on Snobum's site but no contact. Where did you guys find it?

Ooooops. And of course right after I post this I found the info!

Farley's Sidestand
Robert VanFarowe\
2792 24th Ave.
Hudsonville, Michigan 49426

TEL: 616-896-8469.

called ... looks like Farley doesn't offer a stand for my G/S

Last edited:
>>looks like Farley doesn't offer a stand for my G/S <<

Which tells me they probably don't make one for the R80ST either. :-(

Check out this site. www.flyingtpot.com

just got a side stand in from flyingtpot.com
bolts right up by removing rear engine mount, which screws into threaded thick side plate.

entire stand is constructed of beefy plate steel. heavier than OEM side stand.

have not tried it in action yet, but it looks very beefy. side stand clears center stand.

a very welcome addition to my R80 G/S when loaded

Good, I want to get one for my R80ST. Just need to pony up the $200 bucks.

$200 + $15 shipping is better than the $250 + shipping it was priced at not too long ago.
it's very well engineered and avoids problems other side stands have with center stand clearance.

stand is constructed from beefy 16.5mm and 11mm plate steel. flyingtpot stands are no lightweights.

flyingtpot side-stands generally gets good reviews. so performance was never an issue, but price was, until stand was lowered to $200. a fair price for such nicely made stand (welds are sloppy).

fully loaded G/S bikes with luggage immediately behind solo seat are a PITA to dismount without a side stand. stock BMW side stands are next to impossible to deploy from riding position.

for short legged folks, going touring fully loaded on a G/S bike. being able to deploy your side stand from a sitting position is a must.

side20stand.jpg

Last edited:
Back