• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 GSA Cold Start Problem

dmilan

Hello Fellow MOAERS,

Last December b-4 I put my new GSA (1600 miles) into winter hibernation I did the usual Sta-Bil fuel treatment. Changed the oil as well.

March 1st the bike was back in service.
As the miles added up and the fuel in tank was burnt, the bike began to develope a cold start problem.

First it just cranked a bit longer than usual b-4 firing normally.
Turns over plenty fast.

I has now become a no-start condition, unless, as I crank it over I crack the throttle open a bit, at which time it fires, sputtering for a few moments as I continue to hold the throttle open, and then smoothes, at which time I can allow it to settle into a normal idle.
Once started, it seems to run just fine. Completely normal. No stalling, bucking or hesitation.

I have pumped in 5 gallons of fresh Premium Shell Fuel and a bit of Techron as well.

100 miles since the new fuel and no change.
Once it runs for a few moments, everythings fine.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dmilan

My 2011 was in storage for three months and would not start. I trailered it to the dealer and he claimed a fuel pump issue cause by high ethanol content??? He changed the pump out and all is better now. He said they have had reports of ethanol being as high as 25% here in Tucson instead of the approved 10%. Not sure if this is true, but wanted to pass the information on.

Dmilan

R1200rt, 2011, not started for 3 months, but started fine. Cleaned out old fuel by riding. Refilled with 94 octane and rode at least 150 km with noproblems.

Then yesterday, had the same problem you did. Was just moving it around,so will need to try again.

Now, it was close to zero C, so that might have had some effect...

Update for anyone interested...

I had tried some Techron along with 4-5 gallons of fresh fuel.
No change.
Then I thought about it more and reread the label. Techron does not claim to address water in the fuel, just deposits.

Purchased another product...
Valvoline Water Remover, or shall I say, Valvoline Extractor De Agua, worked perfectly.

The prescribed dosage is 12OZ for up to 20 Gallons of fuel. Or for high moisture situations, 12OZ for 10 gallons of fuel.

I overdosed a tiny bit. You know, if a little is good, a lot must be fantastic. Prox 5 OZ for however much fuel was in the tank, maybe 4 - 5 gallons.

Anyway, poured it in yesterday afternoon, started the bike and let it idle for 4 or 5 minutes. Tried to restart it a few times later in the day. Seemed a little better. Left it for the night.

This morning fired the bike up to go on my latest Adventure ride, the grocery store. Cracked the throttle open a bit as I had been needing to and the bike FIRED UP immediately and setteled into a good idle.

Long story short, in 3 restarts since then, including the grocery adventure(I took the long way round), it is running and starting perfectly.

Case closed.
Dmilan

Mine too;

'07GSA1200 and riding across NMex the the other day I camped in Deming, cold AM startup was troublesome. It went after many revs of the engine with starter. 38 degress out when I did this. Its happened before to me too at much colder temps around 15F outside, camping in MarathonTX two years ago. I contributed it to 20w50 oil, maybe? Well, I did the Techron thing, next gas stop near Tucson and have yet to have a cold startup situation to check it. The Techron DID however make the engine run like a scalded APE, higher rpm's, indeed improved:). Maybe solved my cold startups too? Randy

'07GSA1200 and riding across NMex the the other day I camped in Deming, cold AM startup was troublesome. It went after many revs of the engine with starter. 38 degress out when I did this. Its happened before to me too at much colder temps around 15F outside, camping in MarathonTX two years ago. I contributed it to 20w50 oil, maybe? Well, I did the Techron thing, next gas stop near Tucson and have yet to have a cold startup situation to check it. The Techron DID however make the engine run like a scalded APE, higher rpm's, indeed improved:). Maybe solved my cold startups too? Randy

My R1200RTis hard to start in cold WX and high altitude. I now have 22,000 miles have put in a new Odysee battery and it is much improved. OEM battery is marginal at best. Spent $80 at Iron Horse BMW to hook up to computer when it was still on warranty. Nothing unusual showed up. Continued to have problems at high altitude and below 45 degrees.
New Odysee battery made the most difference.It has 225 cold cranking amps compared with 100 on the OEM battery. World of difference. Now at altitude and cold WX it starts instantly. (above 5000ft and below 45 degrees)

Jack

I believe the owners manual says to crack the throttle a bit when starting in cold temperatures. I do not usually think of 38 degrees as cold, but I try this any time my RT does not start right away.

Good points:)

Better battery and cracked throttle, both good ideas I have not done yet. Stock BMW Battery in mine is 2nd one from BMW and I will not repeat the BMW battery. I still got my $$$ out of BMWs batteries at 80000m now and i agree they may be less than adequate for the task! Randy:thumb

Back