• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New MOA Logo

Since i'm an old fart, i can remember when various designs for the Canadian flag were publicized, and the eventual choice was announced. Don't recall there was a plebicite involved, and i do remember the criticism at the time.

Decades later, our flag is accepted at home and abroad, and is a source of pride to Canadians.

I hope my fellow BMW MOA members will accept this logo, thank the Board and others responsible for the new logo, and turn their efforts into improving the Club.

I've only been a member for a short time, but i have been welcomed and given great value as a member.

:)

This is not about anyone who volunteers or who doesn't.....it's about this logo does nothing to identify us as the group we are....BMW Motorcycle Owners ! Period....you might as well put a apple in the logo.. There is nothing wrong with admitting a mistake and working to make it right....what's the big deal? Some people say its the club and people that matter and not the logo....I agree but why not have a logo that people like and can identify with?

once again...the complete picture.
In the banner on the website it says the same thing in block letters...

My Knickers are all straight at the edges...and I am enjoying riding a German bike, such a non issue to me. But y'all continue on :dunno but nicely please:wave

Attachments

• LOGO.jpg
    LOGO.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 110
I want to start by saying I think the new logo is just fine, and my hat is off to the good folks that put the time and effort into the endeavor.

However, the underlying cause for the new logo is amazing. I think itÔÇÖs an actual first. IÔÇÖve been thinking and canÔÇÖt remember a single instance where a corporate entity has refused to let their ownerÔÇÖs group use their name or logo in the clubÔÇÖs name.

I think it is symptomatic of a much larger problem.

Perhaps we should call ourselves the BRAND X O A.

E.

?® This post is copyrighted. Any reproduction without the ownerÔÇÖs express consent will result in final drive failure, or lifetime membership in HOG.

Harley did this 15 years ago. See if you see an HD club that mentions the brand and isn't a HOG chapter. HOG, as you may know, is a factory operated club.

We all knew it was coming. Like others, the board and those who designed it are to be thanked for their efforts.

My biggest disappointment is not in the logo or the MOA, it's with BMW and their edict regarding their "branding". As with every trademark, if the owning entity sees it's misuse, it may invoke trademark. I challenge any BMW suit to point to any one of the likely hundreds or thousands of associated owners group logos (moto or cage) all over the world where the corporate identity of BMW was being misused or misrepresented. I'm pretty sure that anyone who sees the old sticker on the back of my RS won't mistake me for the CEO of the company. But if BMW wants to eliminate it's identity from some of those who are the BEST ambassadors of the marque, it's there loss. Screw!

As for the new logo, it is what it is. I would have preferred that it relayed SOMETHING of our motorcycling commonality, worked in the outlines of a boxer engine or some sort.

OK, so let's talk about this a bit.

By segregating the logo from any specific motorcycle reference, it can be associated with whatever references we choose. Because it doesn't say BMW, we can put it on shirts, we can put it on hats and bumper stickers without having to have it meet any of the design criteria BMW enforces when their name and logo are used.

Instead of having a logo that narrowly defines the club as airheads, brick, hexhead whatever, we now have a base logo that can be combined with other icons - that don't contain the BMW logo or name, by the way, in whatever fashion we want. This is huge and, I would suspect, is a component of why the logo looks like it does.

I am very happy the founders of my local club came up with a great name for the club:

i-rBH2vPc-M.jpg

Logo has passed the test too. :clap

:clap :clap

Oh, BIG like. I tried to change the old one 20 years ago and failed miserably. :lol3

And I'm sorry that's all you got out of my post.
Surprised, I am not.

No. It wasn't. But thinking we're not a club is pretty sad.

After reading that all I'm left with is how tiring it is going around with you.
As I'm sure others are as well...

You win the internets. Hooray.

You don't like how I fit it into the header? :lol
It's a bit of a cut and paste but with some change in the wind, it didn't make sense to overhaul the skin at this moment.

As to this particular logo, I'm going to disagree a bit.

The issue with any logo design is that there is a distinction between branding and a logo. The former is, in a sense, everything, the latter is a component and reminder of the former. The classic examples are Nike and Apple. Neither's symbol means anything outside of the context of their branding. The trick, of course, is that the MOA is not Nike. We lack the presence to smack the world over the head with our particular context. But then neither did Nike when they started. The lesson is that the context of the logo largely determines the success of that logo, not the logo. That doesn't mean a logo doesn't matter. It means that, as Paul notes, the club is stil the club it was before that logo. As we associate this new symbol with the rides and rallies and people, it will become a successful logo.

Now if what people want is something that conveyed riding, motorcycles, touring, camping, rally and everything else this place is about... well, that's called an illustration despite what people like to call those things we associate with our different rallies.

It would be hugely entertaining to read the Letters to the Editor when the last logo was adopted. :ha

OK, so let's talk about this a bit.

By segregating the logo from any specific motorcycle reference, it can be associated with whatever references we choose. Because it doesn't say BMW, we can put it on shirts, we can put it on hats and bumper stickers without having to have it meet any of the design criteria BMW enforces when their name and logo are used.

I absolutely understand that and it speaks to my point that I feel BMWAG is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face. We can put the new logo on everything from kit to swag and no where will any of it relay that the common thread for us [all] is BMW.

Instead of having a logo that narrowly defines the club as airheads, brick, hexhead whatever, we now have a base logo that can be combined with other icons - that don't contain the BMW logo or name, by the way, in whatever fashion we want. This is huge and, I would suspect, is a component of why the logo looks like it does.
Having said that, I'd love to see how the MOA plans to expand the use of the logo as you correctly pointed out, we can do whatever we darned well please. Something with Moto man (although I haven't seen anyone mod the moto man logo to insert a boxer yet.... :bottle) Perhaps had the MOA rolled the logo out along with some of what is planned for it, it might have softened the blow because it is clear from the comments here that most are disappointed in two things: 1. that there is no BMW on it, and B) that there is no identification with anything "motoraad".

My 16 year old son came in the other night as I was looking at campfire...
"Wow, that's a pretty dull logo. When did they change that?"
So I told him the bits I knew about it, and showed him the FULL form
version.
"OK, that makes sense." and he walked out.

I know it's not much, but at 16, going on 23, I'll take any 5-minutes of communicating with him. But it leads to the bigger discussion... we still
are the MOA in more than just name/logos. On Monday I was in a pet store and saw a display rack full of Harley-D dog collars, leashes, puppy bandanas and t-shirts. I can fully appreciate the need to protect the brand. So, now knowing what the FULL logo looks like, I'm ready to move onto the next club drama. :stick

I got the "didn't know they made bikes" statement from the FedEx guy last week. I wonder where they run a 3+ min Cartier ad? I was hoping a new XKE was coming out!:thumb I need a GS to bolster my "macho ness"? See the Roundel shining on the Bad Guys shoulder?
As for what we have for a logo & who designed it,etc-my SIL said I wouldn't have a shirt to wear if it wasn't for the blood donation T's. My all time favorite (which are both now work shirts) were designed by a 5th grader in nearby Bath County,KY. A novel design is possible from common folk?
I know you will never satisfy everybody with any logo design but its certain that I don't remember an opportunity to contribute my 2 cents. Maybe the kids @ the big rally could inject some pizazz into the logo? That it lacks. The guy(36654) that just mentioned the selling of college logo shirts-you outa see how many roadside setups are selling UK BB shirts in KY! They are at the grocery, on street corners, in gas stations, you name it. I don't have the latest versions but I do wear my Cat shirts!
We all know BMW could cash in,& the question begs an answer, why they don't sell their Roundel? I'm so far from being one that needs or wants an "identity" thats fortified by the roundel but I will admit that my many years of fascination with these machines-cars causes me to like the roundel as it is "about the machines". As for something uppity, akin to the Cartier ad, well forget about that! I'm a greasy guy, period. I'm remembering an article in Business Week from a looooooooong time ago, like in the 60's, about Mack Trucks selling their logo at the time for big bucks. Think about wearing this new MOA thingy into any, I mean ANY!!! public place,restaurant,etc., and what a stir it will cause. It will be like going incognito, Duh?

I can guarantee you that each one of those UK BB shirts or sweats is being sold under license from the school. Ca-ching, Ca-ching....It's all part of paying for the athletic department at any big time NCAA school.

Corporate Branding

I understand a corporation wanting to maintain control of their name. I work for and wear the brand of a multinational daily. There is a responsibility that goes with wearing the brand, a code of conduct. Corporations do not want their brand sullied, they do not want their name marketed wrongly. Which makes me wonder why BMW allowed a logo in the scheme of black leather and chrome.
And I still want to know what the inverted V with the dot beneath signifies.

And I still want to know what the inverted V with the dot beneath signifies.

My guess comes in two parts. 1) The designer's stylized version of the letter a and nothing more. 2) For the BOD it may be a reminder of a second sphere of hell they faced in this project form beginning to ...
:bolt

Back