Thread: R60 motor in a R60/2 frame

R60 motor in a R60/2 frame

I've been offered a project bike. I know what I'm getting into on the "project" but I have a question about serial numbers.

The title states mid 1960's R60/2. The frame placard has the motors serial number on it.

The motor has a R60 serial number that is in the range of mid 1950's manufacture http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=50039

Could the frame be a R60/2 and did someone put a R60 replacement motor in it? Could the R60 motor and R60 frame combination be converted to the /2?

One old sales receipt in the pile of service receipts stated the motor serial number and a different frame serial number...

It has the side car attachment places on the frame.

Do I care? (help....) I might not care but what about the buyers if I ever sell it? I don't know enough about these older bikes....

thanks
    07 R1200R - 75 R90/6 - 67 R50/2 - 75 R90S
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E
    2007 Honda CRF450X

There are some frame differences from the '50s bikes until they started with the bikes designated with the /2 for the 1961 models. Most people just refer to the whole time period 1955 to 1969 as /2.

AFAIK, an R60 motor will do just fine in an R60/2 frame and vice versa.

There are 3 locations for numbers...on the right side of the engine above the pushrod tube seals; on the plated riveted to the front of the engine; and there should be a third along the right side of the steering stem neck, punched into the metal. Which of those three agree?

One thing to check is an orphan list here:

http://bmwvmca.org/joomla/index.php?...=317&Itemid=42

I would see no real problem going ahead with the project...some people like matching numbers...some people don't really care. But if you want, I can list your engine/frame numbers in that orphan list so that if someone has matching parts, you might be able to bring the parts back together. I believe there has been at least one instance of reuniting a frame and engine, so I guess it does work!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

"The title states mid 1960's R60/2. The frame placard has the motors serial number on it.

The motor has a R60 serial number that is in the range of mid 1950's manufactur"
    ================================================== =======

What is important is not the frame placard which is screwed or riveted to the fork head

It was somewhat common practice before the authorities got smart to sell or licence an
    untitled or problem of ownership bike by just attaching the placard from a wreck or otherwise
    junk bike that had a good title - It is/was also possible to buy a blank placard and stamp it
    any way you wanted to and then screw it to a bike

Check to see if the motor number matches the number actually stamped into the right side of
    the fork head (may be filled with putty or paint if it was intended to be obscured)

Some states allow/require bikes over a certain age be titled by motor number
    Others will accept only frame number
    Others will allow either above
    Few will now give any value whatsoever to metal placard on the steering stem fastened with
    screws or rivets

Suggest you be sure not to invest serious money in a bike that has any doubt of correct title.

Just because the bike gets passed around within your state between several owners with the
    presentation of the paperwork alone does not in any way insure that you will be able to sell to
    an out of state buyer because the new state will actually inspect the bike in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by 44006 View Post
    (may be filled with putty or paint if it was intended to be obscured)
    This is the case....
    07 R1200R - 75 R90/6 - 67 R50/2 - 75 R90S
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E
    2007 Honda CRF450X