• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Superior Lake circle ride, July

ANDYVH

I'm planning a circle of Lake Superior for this July. Since I am not travelling alone (my girlfriend and two other couples, three bikes) I figure we'll do no more than 300 miles a day tops and leave lots of time for sightseeing.

I am very familiar with most of Upper Michigan, all the way to the Soo. Same for NW Wisconsin and Duluth. In between the Soo and Duluth (going from the Soo to Duluth) I only have references of what others have told me.

So,..what is not to be missed and what is to be expected? We'll be hotelling it all the way, and I have St. Ignace and Duluth nailed down for hotel choices. I welcome all info and references for the in between stuff. So far my rough schedule is: Friday afternoon Green Bay WI to St.Ignac MI. A 1/2 day on Mackinaw (I have done the bridge many times) then up through the Soo to maybe Waa Waa ONT, CA. Next day to Thunder Bay ONT, CA. Then on to an overnight in Duluth, but a stop at Lutsen for the luge ride, Gran Marais. Finally Duluth to Ontanogon, Porkies, Bond Falls, Paulding Light and then overnight in Wakefield, MI. Then home to Green Bay.

My wife and I usually hike to the various light houses. There's some good falls in the UP (multonomah?)

Porcupine mtns state park is nice.

For your western UP portions of your tour, take a look at the ride maps at www.upcruising.com It lists some 'less travelled' as well as more routine routes througout the UP. You can also pick up the UPCruising ride guide ordered from their site or at any of the UP's Michigan Welcome Centers such us at Menominee, MI or Iron Mountain, MI.
Ride Safe:thumb

Sault Ste Marie to Duluth

Hello, I grew up in the Soo and worked a good portion of my career in Northern Ontario. I recommend that you make accommodation reservations for St Ignace and Sault Ste Marie well in advance. Tourism is huge and rooms go quick. If you plan on last minute arrangements, you may be disappointed.
The North Shore of Lake Superior is the most scenic portion in my opinion, with the stretch from Soo to Wawa being extremely beautiful. If staying in Wawa, may I suggest staying at
The Northern Lights Motel. (Check Trip Advisor for ratings)
The owners are Maureen (Mo) Hutchinson-Parker & John Parker
1014 Highway 17
Telephone: (705) 856-1900
Toll Free Reservations: 1-800-937-2414
Email: mo@nlmotel.com

My only other advice is keep your tank full, keep your camera close and watch out for moose at dawn, dusk & definitely during darkness.
Safe Travels.
Bernie

Whatever you do, eat breakfast at Java Joes in St. Ignace. The coconut pancakes are highly recommended. Their home made Mac & cheese is a good dinner as well.

A few suggestions from this Superior (the lake, not me) veteran...

Indeed, the stretch from the Soo to Wawa is the most scenic, particularly through Lake Superior Provincial Park. I prefer to do it the other way (Wawa - Soo), preferably later in the day when the sun is in the west.

Just north of Thunder Bay, is a provincial park called Ouimet Canyon. It's about 10 miles off the highway (paved all the way), and is definitely worth a visit.

Watch your speeds in Ontario. Despite the relative lack of traffic, the roads are very well patrolled by the Ontario Prov Police (OPP), and they don't give a lot of leeway. Radar detectors are illegal in Ontario, and they do have equipment to find ones that are on, DAMHIK.

JP :wave

Clockwise around Superior is the way to go! Walleye at the Lutsen lodge is a good choice for supper. A whitefish sandwich tucked away for a snack while visiting Ouimet Canyon really hits the spot!
Have a great ride Andy!
:thumb

Back