• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake pads 2005 R1200GS

• Thread starter davemulac@yahoo.com
  • Start date
D

davemulac@yahoo.com

I just turned over 20,000 miles on my 2005 gs and need to replace the break pads. I was looking for some advice brand and type of pads to install. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article! Seems like the folks who posted comments after the article were having trouble finding anything but OEM and EBC in the USA. Anyone in the U.S. find a good source for the Brembo or Lucas pads?

Another great pad is Carbone-Lorraine. These are almost exclusivly used in Nascar,
and I'm very happy with them on my RS. Low dusting too.

they did take about 1000 miles to really seat in and work well however.

Ken

I use EBC hh on the RT. Is there any reason that pads for an R12RT would be different from R12GS? Serious question, just curious.

I use EBC hh on the RT. Is there any reason that pads for an R12RT would be different from R12GS? Serious question, just curious.

When I order them, they don't break down by specific model, just R12XX series...have used on RT's and GS's for some time.

Speaking of pads, what is everybody's experience with the BMW R series oem pads? How many miles they lasted? Let's hear.

Speaking of pads, what is everybody's experience with the BMW R series oem pads? How many miles they lasted? Let's hear.

06 r12gs, front pads still oem at 67,000 miles. Rear have been replaced 3 times. And I apply both the brake pedal and the brake lever when slowing down.
max

Brake pad distances are going to be totally rider and roads dependent. If you like to play and generally ride twisties fast (or double) you'll chew up pads a lot faster than guy doing straight line commutes at lower speeds.
With that caveat here is some info from my 08 RT
1) Stock rear ( a lousy pad, no feel,no bite) low 20K miles
2) EBC HH rear pad 7-10K miles shorter life caused by the fact that it actually works half way decent so get used a lot more
3) Stock front pad low 30s K miles. Pads are OK but a bit low on inital bite
4) Front EBC HH - Don't know haven't worn out yet. Have more bite that stock but decent linear feel. A cheaper and worthwhile improvement over stock IMO. Dealer sells and recommends them.

By and large, the factory setup seems to be built around the premise that riders are unskilled fools who need to be protected from themselves so utility is compromised in stock trim in the name of perceived safety. I prefer the brakes on a K1200RS I ride to those on the R1200RT by a big margin.

Inside pads wear fastest by design, front and rear- so don't just look at the outside or you might end up with a scored rotor.

I am not one to worry too much about rotor life- as long as its decent that's good enough- don't expect them to last forever. Main thing about brakes to me is effectiveness and feel so one can trail brake and brake aggressively with confidence. I'd be interested in trying the Brembos if I ever come across a set....

I've had no serious issues with BMW stock rotors on mine probably because I keep them clean and use them hard enough and my wheels didn't come with any machining problems.

The EBC bike pads seem pretty good but I've had nothing but bad experiences with a whole range of EBC car pads when students brought cars to the track that had them. Ended up changing a few sets to Hawks carried at the trackside store to keep students running. For my money, only Performance Friction makes first class pads for car racing but they need to be used on cars fully set for the track as they can spike extremely high rotor surface temps and therefore demand excellent brake cooling setups.

Brake pads a TAD early?

My GSA1200 @ 80000m has the originals:). I do all the above canyon carving, hard riding on and off road! Boy, some are different indeed! The pads on mine still look to do 100000m before I change them. Came to this thread, because I'm starting to look myself for pads:). Randy

Great article! Seems like the folks who posted comments after the article were having trouble finding anything but OEM and EBC in the USA. Anyone in the U.S. find a good source for the Brembo or Lucas pads?

I have an answer to my own question. I had no luck in the US finding any Brembo motorcycle pads, which were the top rated ones from the article LCampbell mentioned. I ended up taking the part number from the article and ordering them from CarpiMoto in Italy (http://www.carpimoto.it/EN/). I think all in it was about $158 with two-day shipping (the only option). I've fitted the rear pads so far and like them. I don't really notice a difference from the OEM pads but that is fine because I was happy with the OEM pads and these are much cheaper. I will probably fit the front pads in a few thousand more miles. Anyhow, I was very happy with CarpiMoto, so check them out for Brembo pads.

$158.00 for a set of pads??? What do they do, self install? That's a whole bunch more than what I paid for the EBC "HH" pads and they work great.

Motorcycle superstore has the EBC HH pads for R1200s for $35.99 a set, front or rear and they're in stock.

Last edited:
$158.00 for a set of pads??? What do they do, self install? That's a whole bunch more than what I paid for the EBC "HH" pads and they work great.

Motorcycle superstore has the EBC HH pads for R1200s for $35.99 a set, front or rear and they're in stock.

Marty - if I'm not mistaken, that $35.99/set is PER caliper. For 3 calipers that's $107.97 + shipping. A $30-40 premium for Brembo pads (which appear to be far superior to what comes on the bike from BMW) doesn't seem excessive to me.

Yeah, I wasn't clear on that in my post. The $158 was for a complete set of pads for the bike, one set for the rear and two sets for the front brakes. Only my rear pads needed replacement right now, but my front pads are getting close so I just ordered them all at once to simplify things and save on shipping.

Just as another data point, I recently bought a set of rear Brembo pads from redracingparts.com.

$43.00 USD including "free worldwide" shipping and VISA foreign currency exchange charge.

I have mixed feelings on the experience. Ordered online 4/20. The pads did not show up in the promised 12-17 days. I made allowances for distance from Italy. After 35 days (5/24), I sent a "Whats up?" email. Their response the next day said the pads were shipped the same day I queried the order. No explanation for the delay in shipping. I was out of town the next three weeks but the pads did arrive during that time. The package indicated 12.5euros postage, or about 15.50USD. I'll probably try them again when I need pads, but I will not wait so long if they do not arrive on time.

The pads are not yet installed - my originals are not completely done, but I wanted to have replacements on hand. I picked the Brembo pad partially on the strength of that above referenced magazine article and partially because I felt Brembo would make the best pad for a Brembo brake. Besides, these pads are RED, and everybody knows red means STOP!

I have an '05 R1200GS with 8,000 miles and was told by the tech who inspected it (annual Pa inspection) that pads would be in my future along with a new rear tire. I'm okay with the tire swap - is this normal for the rear brake?

EBC HH rear pads for 07 R12 GS

Brake pad distances are going to be totally rider and roads dependent. If you like to play and generally ride twisties fast (or double) you'll chew up pads a lot faster than guy doing straight line commutes at lower speeds.
With that caveat here is some info from my 08 RT
1) Stock rear ( a lousy pad, no feel,no bite) low 20K miles
2) EBC HH rear pad 7-10K miles shorter life caused by the fact that it actually works half way decent so get used a lot more
3) Stock front pad low 30s K miles. Pads are OK but a bit low on inital bite
4) Front EBC HH - Don't know haven't worn out yet. Have more bite that stock but decent linear feel. A cheaper and worthwhile improvement over stock IMO. Dealer sells and recommends them.

By and large, the factory setup seems to be built around the premise that riders are unskilled fools who need to be protected from themselves so utility is compromised in stock trim in the name of perceived safety. I prefer the brakes on a K1200RS I ride to those on the R1200RT by a big margin.

Inside pads wear fastest by design, front and rear- so don't just look at the outside or you might end up with a scored rotor.

I am not one to worry too much about rotor life- as long as its decent that's good enough- don't expect them to last forever. Main thing about brakes to me is effectiveness and feel so one can trail brake and brake aggressively with confidence. I'd be interested in trying the Brembos if I ever come across a set....

I've had no serious issues with BMW stock rotors on mine probably because I keep them clean and use them hard enough and my wheels didn't come with any machining problems.

The EBC bike pads seem pretty good but I've had nothing but bad experiences with a whole range of EBC car pads when students brought cars to the track that had them. Ended up changing a few sets to Hawks carried at the trackside store to keep students running. For my money, only Performance Friction makes first class pads for car racing but they need to be used on cars fully set for the track as they can spike extremely high rotor surface temps and therefore demand excellent brake cooling setups.

I have a 2007 R 1200 GS and need rear pads. Went to EBC website for a part number, FA 363 HH, then to Amazon to purchase so my purchase donates to Motorrad Angels. On amazon there is a block to check if the ordered parts fit your machine. I put in my model and the block came back “does not fit your machine”. Does anyone have a correct part number for the EBC HH pads, front and rear for 05-07 R 1200 GS?
Sure would appreciate some help!!

Back