• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Mityvacs keep breaking

jforgo

I love the ability to bleed brakes by myself with this tool. However, about once a year now, the plunger the pump handle attaches to seizes, and the handle snaps.
Does this happen to anyone else?
Is there something this tool needs to keep it from seizing?

That is strange. I have used my Mityvac for quite a few years, bled my Harley brakes several times and my RT at least 3 times and never had a problem. Do you just use it for brakes or is there another chemical going through it that may be causing problems? No idea, but so far no problems with mine....knock of wood.

Ron

I have a Mityvac that is made of brass. It holds up well. If you are using one of the plastic ones and any brake fluid is allowed to enter the pump it will melt the plastic. I have seen brake fluid eat a Craftsman screwdriver handle. We know what it does to paint...

I really don't know what model it is, just the cheapo plastic one with the dial gauge on it. Paid about $30 for it if I remember right. It has really been a good one, but I have taken care of it and not allowed fluids to enter it. I can go out tomorrow and get the model if need be.

Ron

Brake bleeder

Looking at the Wunderlich website, it states that its automatic brake bleeder should not be used with ABS brakes. Is this true, and does that mean that a bmw dealer is the only recourse, or is it just a disclaimer?

Looking at the Wunderlich website, it states that its automatic brake bleeder should not be used with ABS brakes. Is this true, and does that mean that a bmw dealer is the only recourse, or is it just a disclaimer?

BMW has lots of different ABS systems and I don't know if that comment is true for all of them. As for the dealer being the only recourse... the answer is no. It is not difficult to bleed brakes the old fashioned way of repeated squeeze and bleed. If you have iABS I brakes (power assist) the wheel circuits are super easy to bleed as the servo acts as a built in power bleeder. The control circuits are done with squeeze and bleed.

Which brakes do you want to bleed?

this will bleed ABS brakes too ... vacuum and pushes too
I've got the pro metal version with all sorts of attachments

sometimes the only way to successfully bleed some circuits is to push fluid from bottom up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1LVyA_3lOmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have had my Mighty-Vac for 27 years

It was one of the first tools I bought when I started at my job in an M.B. V.W. dealer, being the new gut I was the official oil changer/brake bleeder guy. I have never even wiped it off with anything other than a clean shop rag, in fact I think there's still brake fluid from y Nissan P/U brake job last Fall. No seriously I have had this Mighty-Vac and used it with out a problem ever for over 27 years. It is the brass one but when I bought it I think it was around $55 for the whole kit and its all still good other than a little built up dirt and grime.

I have been buying the plastic one - big mistake apparently. I think I will try the brass one.
The one you hook to a compressor, shown on one of the links, is intriguing - maybe just the thing for a car?

I have been buying the plastic one - big mistake apparently. I think I will try the brass one.
The one you hook to a compressor, shown on one of the links, is intriguing - maybe just the thing for a car?

don't think Mitivacs are made of brass anymore. they've been made of aluminum looking pot metal for quite some time. and plastic of course.

the pot metal one is really pretty durable. don't leave brake fluid inside em.. they eventually will corrode.

unless they recently changed, new Mitivac do come in metal (pot metal), just not brass.

my Mitivacs never get used anymore. Phoenix bleeding systems is head and shoulders better. I've got the $300 pro version, but plastic version should work good too. same as plastic Mitivac, not as durable.

being able to push or pull your brake fluid makes all the difference on hard to bleed situations. like ABS circuits.

10_MV8510.jpg

MV8010.jpg

I guess I've just been lucky. I've had my plastic MityVac for over 25 years. It's been used regularly over the years though not commercially.

Back