• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Remove Adhesive Residue from Tank - 07 GSA

ihint

When traveling I would always put a 2" wide tank protector running from the top of the seat up towards the fuel cap. I did this to protect the paint from the tank bag I use.

I ended up leaving this tank protector on for around 2 years (even though I only use the tank bag when traveling)and took it off the other day. The tank protector is designed to be taken on and off and has a very sticky underside designed for multiple use.

Some of this "sticky" stayed on the tank around the perimeter of the tank protector.

I tried using contact solution to remove the adhesive like residue, with not-so-great results.

Any suggestions on something to use that won't damage the finish.

If I use something like "Goop-Off" will I be okay, as long as I wipe the area down with water afterwards?

I used goof-off to remove the "R1200" sticker residue with no ill effects. I have also used this. It takes longer but work pretty well.

HondaPolish.jpg

I do not recommend Goof Off. It contains Acetone and Xylene that are very strong.

Goo Gone is not as strong, but you still need to use it carefully.

IÔÇÖve used 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner P/N 08984 for years. Never damaged any painted or fabric surface IÔÇÖve used it on. You can get it at any auto body supply store and most chain auto parts stores. Auto body supply stores usually have a generic equivalent that in my experience, works just as good, and costs half as much.

Bill

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will head to the body shop this afternoon and see what they have!

Back