• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sticky throttle when heated grips on 'high'

jacco

Riding Dutchman
Dear all,

When I used my heated grips last winter the throttle got noticably sticky, especially when on 'high'. I would have to manually twist the grip to close the throttle after using them for as little as 5 minutes. Any suggestions as to where I should start if I want to try to fix this?

Have a good weekend,
jacco

do you have a throttlemeister? i have one and it is the cause of the friction with the heated grips on. i just back off the throttlemeister and all is well.

pete

Thanks for the suggestion Pete, but no, the bike doesn't have a throttlemeister or similar friction based-cruise control...

Best,
Jacco

Sticky Throttle

I have the same problem. '01 1150gs, Pro Taper bars, Throttlemeister, about 34k on the bike. I went through, checked everything I could and finally found that my upper throttle cable was ever so slightly sticky. I cleaned out the Bowden box, put dry slide on the pivot and all is well!

Ride Safe, Dennis

Crush said:
I have the same problem. '01 1150gs, Pro Taper bars, Throttlemeister, about 34k on the bike. I went through, checked everything I could and finally found that my upper throttle cable was ever so slightly sticky. I cleaned out the Bowden box, put dry slide on the pivot and all is well!

Ride Safe, Dennis

OK, that's a good starting point, thanks!

How is it to drive with a throttlemeister, anyway? I know that I found this sticky throttle scary to drive with in town, but then again, my wrist was killing me last Sunday when I went on a 350-mile trip to Shenandoah.

Best,
jacco

The difference between a sticky throttle and the Throttlemeister is that you can loosen the Throttlemeister, the sticky throttle is unpredictable. I only use mine when I am on the highway and there is no other traffic around. It sure helps my wrist.

Ride Safe, Dennis

I had the same problem, the grip expands when heated . Just remove bar end and place a thin washer between the barend and the bar.

ktmridin said:
I had the same problem, the grip expands when heated . Just remove bar end and place a thin washer between the barend and the bar.

OK, will try that. Maybe a good reason to buy that throttlemeister. By the way: Welcome! It seems that I'm the proud recipient of your first post :).

Thanks,
Jacco

I did the same thing as ktmridin -- I inserted a small washer inside the bar end so that there would be a bit more space between the right edge of the rubber grip and the bar end. That cured the problem.

I assume that the rubber grip expands slightly when heated -- just enough to make it rub against the bar end.

Bob

Let me preface this reply with the admission that I am not at all mechanically inclined.

I just bought a throttlemeister for my '04RT (w/ heated grips) and really dig it. Tried it last night for the first time.

When I first installed them, the throttle stuck. After rereading the directions, I realized I had to partially disassemble the throttle assembly (3 screws). Afther that, there is a small screw (4mm torx or allen) that you loosen to move the assembly away from the bar end (ever so slightly). Then the throttlemeister worked perfectly.

I haven't tried it yet with the grips heated, but it's supposed to work. We'll see. . . .

Perhaps you should try to adjust your throttle assembly? Maybe that will solve the sticking problem on "high." :wave

Back