Thread: Sticky throttle when heated grips on 'high'

Sticky throttle when heated grips on 'high'

Dear all,

When I used my heated grips last winter the throttle got noticably sticky, especially when on 'high'. I would have to manually twist the grip to close the throttle after using them for as little as 5 minutes. Any suggestions as to where I should start if I want to try to fix this?

Have a good weekend,
    jacco

BklynPete
    do you have a throttlemeister? i have one and it is the cause of the friction with the heated grips on. i just back off the throttlemeister and all is well.

pete

Thanks for the suggestion Pete, but no, the bike doesn't have a throttlemeister or similar friction based-cruise control...

Best,
    Jacco

Sticky Throttle

I have the same problem. '01 1150gs, Pro Taper bars, Throttlemeister, about 34k on the bike. I went through, checked everything I could and finally found that my upper throttle cable was ever so slightly sticky. I cleaned out the Bowden box, put dry slide on the pivot and all is well!

Ride Safe, Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Crush
    I have the same problem. '01 1150gs, Pro Taper bars, Throttlemeister, about 34k on the bike. I went through, checked everything I could and finally found that my upper throttle cable was ever so slightly sticky. I cleaned out the Bowden box, put dry slide on the pivot and all is well!

Ride Safe, Dennis
    OK, that's a good starting point, thanks!

How is it to drive with a throttlemeister, anyway? I know that I found this sticky throttle scary to drive with in town, but then again, my wrist was killing me last Sunday when I went on a 350-mile trip to Shenandoah.

Best,
    jacco

The difference between a sticky throttle and the Throttlemeister is that you can loosen the Throttlemeister, the sticky throttle is unpredictable. I only use mine when I am on the highway and there is no other traffic around. It sure helps my wrist.

Ride Safe, Dennis

ktmridin
    I had the same problem, the grip expands when heated . Just remove bar end and place a thin washer between the barend and the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmridin
    I had the same problem, the grip expands when heated . Just remove bar end and place a thin washer between the barend and the bar.
    OK, will try that. Maybe a good reason to buy that throttlemeister. By the way: Welcome! It seems that I'm the proud recipient of your first post .

Thanks,
    Jacco

rdsmith3
    I did the same thing as ktmridin -- I inserted a small washer inside the bar end so that there would be a bit more space between the right edge of the rubber grip and the bar end. That cured the problem.

I assume that the rubber grip expands slightly when heated -- just enough to make it rub against the bar end.

Bob

SNC1923
    Let me preface this reply with the admission that I am not at all mechanically inclined.

I just bought a throttlemeister for my '04RT (w/ heated grips) and really dig it. Tried it last night for the first time.

When I first installed them, the throttle stuck. After rereading the directions, I realized I had to partially disassemble the throttle assembly (3 screws). Afther that, there is a small screw (4mm torx or allen) that you loosen to move the assembly away from the bar end (ever so slightly). Then the throttlemeister worked perfectly.

I haven't tried it yet with the grips heated, but it's supposed to work. We'll see. . . .

Perhaps you should try to adjust your throttle assembly? Maybe that will solve the sticking problem on "high."