• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake Failure Warning light-07 K12GT

I think this subject has been done to death but before I send this bike to a shop, someone make me smart on this subject. I have an intermittent brake failure light on my 07 K12Gt. It seems to come and go (more on than off lately). I put the bike on the centerstand started it up, put it in gear, released the clutch, pulled the clutch back in and pulled the front brake on. The back wheel stopped. My question is, does this mean my ABS is ok?. I dont want to surrender this thing to a shop for a $2300 ABS pump if I possibly have a wiring problem. I have a GT911 diaignostics set up on the bike currently but its not telling me anything other than I have a brake failure light on. Any ideas?

I know it sounds silly but how is your brake fluid level? I know that on some to the K1200LT's it can be real touchy and just a touch below will trigger it. Mine was to the point that it was fine on the centerstand but put my wife and I on the bike and a few miles later I was "getting flashed".

I'm going to add the year and model to your title...helps with responses and future searches by others...

Your bike has linked brakes, the front lever operates both, the rear pedal only apples the rear. That has nothing to do with ABS system check.

The bike has a start up check of ABS which cycles off when you roll off.It is sensing both wheels moving as part of it's check. On our K12S's , if you don't let the bike "boot up" before you start it sometimes throws the ABS fault and you have to stop and restart.

Have not heard of many pump failures like the older oilheads and Brick K's.

One more thing, how old is your battery?

A quick test of whether the ABS is working is to go out and TEST it. Get up to a safe speed and do your best to lock up the rear brake. I have never put my S on the center stand and put it in gear.

Thanks for the input everyone. topped off the fluid, (very little required), but noticed the battery is the OEM that came new in the bike, making it 5+ years old. Plan to have it tested today. Thanks again for the explanation on how ABS works. Took the bike out and at 30 mph applied the back brake and it stopped, no slip no slide no squeal.

Check to make sure your speed sensor wire at the front wheel is not dragging on the ABS ring and starting to wear it through. There is not much clearance.

When you say you tested and it stopped with no slip, slide, or squeal....the key is did it pulse? You need to do an aggressive application of the rear brake - trying your best to lock it up - maybe 'stand' on it to either get it to lock up or pulse. If it pulses, then ABS is working, IF it locks up, ABS is not working. If it just pulled your speed down and stopped you, you did not get enough pressure on it to engage the ABS. If you can find a straight area with just a light dusting of sandiness or moisture, it is easier to do this test. You could even do it on grass at lower speeds....When the ABS cuts in, you will recognize it and no longer wonder what it is like when it comes in. Do check the clearance of the sensors. Best of luck with it.

Back