• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shocks that don't break the bank;

josh00

I have 02 RT that are needing shocks replaced. I was wondering if their are any shocks you can get that don't cost and arm and leg. I have almost bought some ohlins but just can't pull myself to spend about $15 or 1600 dollars for them.
Didn't know if their is any about half that price:scratch or if I should bite the bullet and buy some ohlins. Thanks for any help.

You don't buy good shocks, you just put a security deposit on them, as even after 10 years you can get 2/3 of that deposit back by selling them.

Plus it will be the best $$$ you will spend on the bike.

Last edited:
Mine are not leaking, but I can tell they are riding different, they have 42k on them. What are some other shocks that are good and where is the best place to get them.

Mine are not leaking, but I can tell they are riding different, they have 42k on them. What are some other shocks that are good and where is the best place to get them.

At 42k they were toast a long time ago. Lots of places, get something set up for your weight and riding style, don't just buy off the shelf. I used Lindemann Engineering for my last set.

Where can you order shocks, even ohlins. I have googled ohlins, hagons, and wilbers but can't find a place to order them except across seas.

I installed a set of Wilber's from http://www.beemershop.com/ While they were expensive they have transformed the handling of the bike. Mine's a 2004 R1150RT with 62000 miles. The shocks have made me a better rider because they don't wallow around corners and they follow every ripple in the pavement. I hemmed and hawed for weeks before placing my order and had buyers remorse about the cost before the new shocks were delivered. As soon as the shocks were installed the regret vanished. My bike handles better than when new. I am very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I have 02 RT that are needing shocks replaced. I was wondering if their are any shocks you can get that don't cost and arm and leg. I have almost bought some Ohlins but just can't pull myself to spend about $15 or 1600 dollars for them.
Didn't know if their is any about half that price:scratch or if I should bite the bullet and buy some Ohlins. Thanks for any help.

I picked up a set of Ohlins struts from David for $1100 shipped. One thing you can do to keep the price in check is to forgo the remote preload adjuster that is unless you routinely go back and forth between solo and 2-up riding. It will save $250-$300.

You can always expect to get at least 60% of the original value of the struts when you sell them used.

David Behrend
www.FastBikeIndustries.com
(828)243-7240 - mobile

Cheers!

Shocks

I would contact Works Shocks. Good prices - Good Products.

Thanks for all the replies, should be able to find me a good set. You guys talked me into getting a good set, I'm sure I will be glad that I did. And I do switch back in forth from solo to my wife on the back. And this year I have noticed when she is on the back I can tell a big difference then before, and she only weighs about 130lbs and I weigh 210, so that is when I tolled myself I need to get new shocks. Thanks again.

A leaking shock is not the only indication of a failed shock. Usually all the damping control of the shock is LONG gone before any leaks show up. The stock shocks on my 94 RS had 120,000 miles on them with not a leak or smear on the shock. Yet, they were really crapped out about 70,000 miles earlier, my butt simply calibrated to the lousy ride and diminished handling/control.

I bought Wilbers, the most $$$$ I ever spent on the bike, and the best $$$$ I ever spent on the bike.

I would have gone with Hagon if I had not scored a deal on a used Wilbers front shock. Had it rebuilt and paired with a new Wilbers rear shock, and it transformed my trusty ol 94 into a bike that rides and handles like a 15 year newer bike.

Trying to tell when your shocks are shot by the seat of your pants, is like trying to watch a puppy grow. If you see the puppy everyday, you never really notice it growing, but take a picture and compare it and you say HOLEY CRAP, it changed a lot.

+1 on Works performance. Been on my RS now for a while-good product, prices and good people-called me a couple of times to make sure they got them the way I wanted them- customer relations means a lot to me..recommended.......

look for Ohlins deals on ebay, and then buy Hagons or Wilburs. Unless you're a serious racer dude, no-paved-roads-at-all kind of guy you're gonna be just as happy.

Since it seems to be taken at face value by a lot of folks here that the shocks on R bikes are worthless after about 30,000 miles, I was wondering if BMW put better ones on the K bikes? Or are they all out of the same low grade parts bin?

Secondly, since shocks seem to function by going up quickly and coming down in a controlled manner, I wouldn't think it would not be too tough to rig up a testing machine that could compare new vs old, brand vs brand of shock performance. Hard numbers rather than," I just paid $1200 for a new set, and they are great!" Has anyone actually seen any real data by a testing lab that shows that there is a measurable difference in damping ability at a certain amount of cycles? All new shocks probably seem stiffer than older ones, but are they about the same as the old ones after 5000 miles, only due to that $1200 spent you are still thinking, "Wow, these pricey shocks are really great. " Where is the data, ( pounds of pressure, measured time they move X distance, etc) that proves there is any significant difference from the old ones. New shoes seem stiff too, , but after a few weeks, they break in to be about like the old pair.

Since it seems to be taken at face value by a lot of folks here that the shocks on R bikes are worthless after about 30,000 miles, I was wondering if BMW put better ones on the K bikes? Or are they all out of the same low grade parts bin?

Secondly, since shocks seem to function by going up quickly and coming down in a controlled manner, I wouldn't think it would not be too tough to rig up a testing machine that could compare new vs old, brand vs brand of shock performance. Hard numbers rather than," I just paid $1200 for a new set, and they are great!" Has anyone actually seen any real data by a testing lab that shows that there is a measurable difference in damping ability at a certain amount of cycles? All new shocks probably seem stiffer than older ones, but are they about the same as the old ones after 5000 miles, only due to that $1200 spent you are still thinking, "Wow, these pricey shocks are really great. " Where is the data, ( pounds of pressure, measured time they move X distance, etc) that proves there is any significant difference from the old ones. New shoes seem stiff too, , but after a few weeks, they break in to be about like the old pair.

Would you like to see a photo of a stock rear shock with 20K miles on it leaking oil all over? Cuz I have one right here...

I wouldn't say Showa shocks are total crap. They work well for a while. But not a long while.

Back